Where do you shop in Sheffield?

Cant stand any kind of shopping - I reluctantly food shop once a week and that's a chore!

^^^+1

I even have my food shopping delivered so I very rarely set foot inside a shop unless I really need to fetch something in person, in which case I go to visit a single shop, buy the item I went in for and then leave. I don't browse, window shop or impulse buy, partly because I just want to go home and partly because I don't have the money to buy things without planning.

Hey Rascals,

They are starting work on the markets in June this year, and will finish by end of next year. This time i do actually believe them.

If you can stick around till then it will probably be worth it. :)

I went to your shop a few weeks ago for a specific item. There was an open sign on the front door, but the door was locked. Was I supposed to ring the bell? I didn't understand as it was during the day, not at lunchtime either. It just put me off a bit...

I went to your shop a few weeks ago for a specific item. There was an open sign on the front door, but the door was locked. Was I supposed to ring the bell? I didn't understand as it was during the day, not at lunchtime either. It just put me off a bit...

I run the shop alone and during the day I have to nip upstairs to change the washing, use WC etc, so I lock the door and put a sign up asking to ring the bell and wait 20 seconds while I come back down. I didn't used to lock the door, simply have an alarm to tell me when a customer was entering, but undesirables started running in and pinching what they could before I made it back down. Please don't let it put you off, it's only a precaution and I come straight down when the bell is rung. Thank you

Hey Rascals,

They are starting work on the markets in June this year, and will finish by end of next year. This time i do actually believe them.

If you can stick around till then it will probably be worth it. :)

Promising news :)

Meadowhall is nearer and with free parking is sooo much better than than the city centre and I can get everything I want except food (M&S is too expensive for everyday food and my budget)

Food shopping is either Asda @ Parson Cross, Tesco in Rotherham town centre or Firth Park

I can't stand Meadowhall only go there when I am forced too.I can usually buy everything I need in the City centre. Why can't the Moor be turned into local interesting shops. I am hoping the new Market will source local food, Breads , Jams, Pickles. Meat and Cheese with taste.

I try and buy in Atkinsons as it is an independent retailer but looked at the average age shopping there this morning and I think its going down the old B and C co op route it needs to market itself to a younger age group. Keep our city vibrant!!! and not the clone of many other City /town centres.

I have a bit of a negative take on M'hall too. I prefer to be in the open air between shops. I use Debenhams, BHS and Atkinsons, then catch the freebee bus near the bottom of the Moor back to catch the tram. I suspect I'm of the old 'co-op' age group. ;)

However, I agree with you, there needs to be a bit more to attract younger and more discerning shoppers. A good mix of market stalls works in other towns, so fingers crossed we might see that happening.

I really dislike Meadowhell and haven't been for many years. I try and shop locally so Hillsborough, occasionally Asda at Parson's Cross, farm shops in Bradfield and surrounding areas. I like shopping in town and looking forward to the new markets open and hoping this will bring new life to the Moor, not more pound shops though!! I wouldn't like to see more chain stores either preferring small independent shops with some variety. I don't have a large budget but would prefer to spend money on 1 item I really like than lots of stuff that is rubbish!

I run the shop alone and during the day I have to nip upstairs to change the washing, use WC etc, so I lock the door and put a sign up asking to ring the bell and wait 20 seconds while I come back down. I didn't used to lock the door, simply have an alarm to tell me when a customer was entering, but undesirables started running in and pinching what they could before I made it back down. Please don't let it put you off, it's only a precaution and I come straight down when the bell is rung. Thank you

I understand how hard it must be. I thought it would be something like that, i just didn't see a sign. I'm a bit blind unless something is stuck in front of my nose!

I'll make a special effort to come back, I need something specific and I had an idea you would know what I was talking about.

I shop local (Woodhouse) for food great butchers, greengrocers and 2 small supermarkets. I hate ASDA and other large supermarkets, too big and too expensive. I use Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall occasionally.

I don't go to town especially the Moor because although I am not classed as disabled, I cannot walk very far, especially when carrying things. The tram is no good to me, the bus stop is too far away and access by car is difficult add to that the outrageous cost of parking.

It's very sad to see the demise of our city centre, I used to love spending the day there

starting at the market and ending down the Moor but there are few decent shops now and it is a dump. The Labour councils have to shoulder the blame for this decimation, their anti car crusade have caused most of the problems.

Who is going to risk fines trying to find their way round the one ways, no entries, bus lanes and the ridiculous and difficult road layouts. There are other options now.

My job takes me to Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc. These town centre's are far better for shopping and eating out.

My home city, Sheffield is a load of crap compared, fact not fiction. Liverpool city centre is excellent for a night out, with China Town and many pubs and Liverpool 1 shopping centre.

Why is Sheffield rubbishwhy? I don't know. Sheffield seems to only cater for the students, [ not complaining about you students ] but since the increase in student fees, this will soon end.

Leaving Sheffield city centre without a viable market for 14 years has killed it in my opinion, especially at a time it was competing with Meadowhall and the rise of the mega supermarkets.

Whether it will ever recover when there's a new market in place is debatable. Will people recover the habit of struggling with bags of shopping all the way back to the car or bus stop?