Mexican takeaway in Sheffield Centre

Has anyone else used the Mexican takeaway just up from the top of the Moor on Pinstone Street, I bought a large chicken burrito which i was looking forward to as a Friday treat for lunch. Found it was mainly packed full of rice and black beans in a soggy tortilla, the only chicken was a few shredded strands which even breaking open the thing with a spoon failed to reveal any more pieces! all for £4.95! Very dissapointed, won't be going there again. :gag:

It seems pretty popular and often has a queue outside so I decided to try one of their wraps. It is about a year ago now but from memory it was some sort of chicken burrito.

As a tried to bite in to it lots of brown watery liquid kept dripping out and as you have mentioned their didn't seem to be much chicken in it either. I ended up throwing it away after a couple of bites. I thought it was really disappointing :(.

I know it is still popular as I pass it regularly and I have often wondered why after my experience :confused: but is reassuring (in a strange sort of way) that someone else feels they have had a similar experience.

My partner keeps getting enchiladas from pirates pastys- for his lunch at dinner. Raves about them, give them a try if you fancy Mexican at lunch. They also said they can do a larger one for you to take home for tea :)

Best Mexican has to be Amigos on London Road, tried almost everything on the menu, all lovely.

I think Pirates Pasties might be the one in same building as T K MAXX. Only had pasties from there myself, very good they were too.

Has anyone else used the Mexican takeaway just up from the top of the Moor on Pinstone Street, I bought a large chicken burrito which i was looking forward to as a Friday treat for lunch. Found it was mainly packed full of rice and black beans in a soggy tortilla, the only chicken was a few shredded strands which even breaking open the thing with a spoon failed to reveal any more pieces! all for £4.95! Very dissapointed, won't be going there again. :gag:

The place looks like Tex-Mex food,and seemed lacklustre and not appealling.I would prefer to make my own at home.

Pirates pastys is nxt to tk maxx, inside.

Best Mexican has to be Amigos on London Road, tried almost everything on the menu, all lovely.

I think Pirates Pasties might be the one in same building as T K MAXX. Only had pasties from there myself, very good they were too.

Amigos, is great, deffo a fave

It's the Street Food Chef on Pinstone Street. I'd urge anyone to try it again. I've had dozens of excellent burritos from there, usually the pulled pork one, and never been disappointed. Plus, it's somewhere not afraid to serve proper hot food.

Had an Enchilada from Pirates Pasties today for lunch, all I can say is Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:love:

Edited by illuminati
n

We've had a few Burritos from this 'street food' outlet at work, and the general consensus is 'disappointing'. The taste & flavour are definitely there, but they are REALLY tight on the amount of meat. For a fiver you expect a decent helping, but instead it's mainly rice.

It's a shame, because it's a great idea & Sheffield really needs more of these type of lunch options.

They're just about to open a second shop (with seating) on Arundel Street.

Edited by holster100

I'd say I'm quite a frequent customer of Street Food Chef and have been going since they started. I have to say they've changed quite a lot and not for the better. I believe the man and woman who started it up used to actually prepare the burritos in front of you, Subway style. They were SO polite and helpful, as were the two or three people who assisted them, especially when my partner ordered, as he has anxiety about asking for things.

Lately though I've noticed they've gotten less personal and the original staff don't seem to be there now. The burritos are still good (and now beef seems to be a permanent menu item!) but the whole experience isn't the same anymore. I've always gotten my burritos without rice (as I don't like it) and the woman that served me the other day gave me one with rice and I have to say, it was STUFFED with it, much more than anything else. I actually had to throw some of it away, which I hate doing. The worst part is how they don't prepare the food in front of you anymore, it's all done behind a counter and you can't see what they're putting on it, sadly.

Now I know there are other Mexican places in Sheffield, I'm going to try them instead.

Also, yes I did notice your loyalty card went from offering a free burrito for every 6 bought, to the current one which is like 50% off a breakfast burrito...ridiculous. :(