Police make Twitter arrests

I never said you were one of those that were supporting him, I was referring to a few on SF and the others elsewhere.

P.S. I have read all your reply, but I don't always read your replies as I prefer to wait for the extended versions! ;):hihi:

The cheek! ha ha ha.

I'm sure you prefer my extended text as opposed the common on line snipes that tend to go on around here? I might not always be correct in what I post but I aim to be and try and put a bit of thought into what a write! :help::hihi:

Guilty until proven innocent now i'm afraid, if new evidence comes to light proving cheds innocence then fair enough say what you want about her, until then these trolls should have kept their mouths shut.

I'm glad they have been arrested. People need to learn that they are accountable for their online activity. The victim of this crime also deserves protection. She has been subjected to a scurrilous online campaign so far. She deserves better.

I totally concur with this. I think the law needs to fall down hard on these cases, both in protecting the rights of this individual victim and in consideration that there needs to be confidence in this law for rape victims in general.

It is intolerable that women who have been the victim of such a traumatic crime might be put off pursuing justice because of the way other victims have been treated. If one other victim is put off reporting an attack because of this breach of anonymity then it is potentially one more rapist escaping justice and at worst potentially more victims.

This law is not and nor should be about a moral verdict on each individual victim. No one has the right to judge. It is about making it possible for a very vulnerable group of people to find a way of finding justice before the law.

The cheek! ha ha ha.

I'm sure you prefer my extended text as opposed the common on line snipes that tend to go on around here? I might not always be correct in what I post but I aim to be and try and put a bit of thought into what a write! :help::hihi:

Always a decent poster you BB. In fact i hear Rupert Murdoch is headhunting you for his new project! :hihi:;)

i hope they come down hard on these people that have named her. unless his appeal gets the sentence overturned then he is a rapist and she a rape victim. the abuse she has had so far is one of the reasons not all victims come forward, leaving more on the street to do the same.

hopefully all the people that have named her will be found and convicted.

Always a decent poster you BB. In fact i hear Rupert Murdoch is headhunting you for his new project! :hihi:;)

Dishing it out today Casper, and just to think I was going to come on here and try and be humble whilst heavily intoxicated after celebrating a job well done tomorrow night ;) Might have to reconsider :hihi:

I totally concur with this. I think the law needs to fall down hard on these cases, both in protecting the rights of this individual victim and in consideration that there needs to be confidence in this law for rape victims in general.

It is intolerable that women who have been the victim of such a traumatic crime might be put off pursuing justice because of the way other victims have been treated. If one other victim is put off reporting an attack because of this breach of anonymity then it is potentially one more rapist escaping justice and at worst potentially more victims.

This law is not and nor should be about a moral verdict on each individual victim. No one has the right to judge. It is about making it possible for a very vulnerable group of people to find a way of finding justice before the law.

Shouldn't the accused also be allowed anonymity though, rather than having their alleged deeds smeared all over the tabloid press, and having their reputation and possibly their life destroyed forever (not talking about the Ched situation, just in general terms).

If they are found not guilty, there's so much mud thrown that some will stick - as McDonald will be finding. Just seems so one sided, and 'innocent until proven guilty' sounds very hollow.

My only comment on it as I stand by what I posted in my first Post

No one should name any one in a rape trial and the people who named her deserve all they get

If the woman names herself she then should be arrested same as the people who named her on twitter

AFAIK she is given anonymity for life She was known for example as miss x usually therefore if she 'goes to the papers' she should receive the same sentence as the morons who named her

Does anyone have proof that the people who named her were SUFC fans or not

IF not Why on Sheffield FOOTBALL section

Whilst I would not approve of her making money out of the situation, she is entitled to go public if she so wishes. Many rape victims have done so for other motives.

As for the three people arrested in Sheffield, well they're not going to be Wednesdayites are they?

hmm not sure, Is there a difference legally if you revealed the name by accident like in this situation?

By accident? In the same way that they revealed the name of the guy in the offices in Tottenham Court Road today before the police did?

If they're going to pull in average Joe's for revealing names on Twitter, then why should journalists with codes of conducts and training on the get away with it?

Obviously this 'mistake' was made again today, just a few days later with the case I mentioned above. Maybe if someone from Sky had been arrested also, then they wouldn't have been so clever today too.

Is it yet another case of one rule for them.....

Shouldn't the accused also be allowed anonymity though, rather than having their alleged deeds smeared all over the tabloid press, and having their reputation and possibly their life destroyed forever (not talking about the Ched situation, just in general terms).

If they are found not guilty, there's so much mud thrown that some will stick - as McDonald will be finding. Just seems so one sided, and 'innocent until proven guilty' sounds very hollow.

I totally agree with you on this.

I totally agree with you on this.
Perhaps it should apply to all court appearances? Being accused of any crime is going to 'destroy your reputation'. Even if found innocent, especially on a technicality. I hope MacDonald is finding that mud sticks and Evans brother and friend, too. Valuable experience for them to learn that they should treat people, even drunk girls, with a modicum of respect.

There should certainly be anonymity for all witnesses as well. As it is, you're required to give your name, and possibly address, when being sworn in. That's bound to put off witnesses to certain incidents, especially when you consider what some of the accused and their associates are like. And why we have to have a witness protection programme.

I don't know about the Sky thing because I don't watch their news, but yes, they should be looking into that as well. We don't really know what's going on in the background yet. It could still happen, especially if concerned viewers complain about it.

I disagree. How are the police supposed to collect evidence if the public doesn't know who's been charged with what? In cases like rape when someone has been charged with one offence other victims have come forward to give evidence. There's a manhunt at the moment in the North East for a man who's alleged to have killed two people. How could the police issue details of wanted people if all suspected criminals had anonymity? The bloke who threatened Tottenham Court Road with a bomb yesterday was filmed being arrested. How do you cover that up?