Daughter's passed pre op assessment

dont go for the sedative mate you have nothing to gain from it, if everything goes well you will regret it and if (god forbid) something was to go wrong you will also regret it, just sit with your partner and will your daughter to pull through, im sure their isnt much else you can do except hold your partners hand and wait

This is our beautiful daughter taken in 2010 before she became ill

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb462/jet_172/293397_10150274789395877_681450876_8189919_5388135_n.jpg

She's absolutely stunning. Just imagine how wonderful you will feel when She gets her health back again.

I know how heavy your heart is. I honestly know the fear & pain your suffering. Just keep the picture in your mind of her getting better and resuming her life. xXx

She was a nursery assistant but was dismissed due to her illness, she was dizzy alot & fainted a couple of times at work, so they had to let her go for the safety of the children (aged from 6mths to 3yrs) & herself. She is really looking forward to get back into it, shes absolutely loves working with children

I would say good luck but I wont because you don't need it. She will be absolutely fine, they know what they're doing.

I look forward to reading your thread about her speedy recovery.

Stay positive.

We were told today we could only go outside of theatre with her then we would have to leave & someone would ring us towards end of op.

There is no way under any circumstances am I leaving that hospital while she is having the op no matter how many hrs she will be in. What can we do about this?

I can't imagine they mean leave the actual hospital - do they just mean the theatre area? I'm sure they must be somewhere you can wait, they must have families waiting for relatives to come through operations every day. I can't add anything to other people's advice about getting out of the hospital - my daughter has only had a reasonably minor operation which wasn't hugely long but personally, I wouldn't have left the hospital for anything. However, if it's going to be very long maybe getting out for a while would help.

And best wishes.... I'm sure everything will be fine. We have a lot of expertise in our hospitals in Sheffield, we're very lucky.

Edited by irenewilde

That is what I thought TAU is on A floor, then she goes to I think they said N floor critical care unit, a thing that worries me is shes not always aware of what is going on & sometimes cannot express herself in words to strangers. I dont want her frightened before shes goes under anaesthetic

The theatre that your daughter is going to will be experienced in treating people who have similar problems as your daughter. It's what they do every day so she will be very well looked after, before her anaesthetic and during it as well.

The issue with waiting in TAU is that her space may then be given to another patient so there could be issues with you waiting around there for hours.

With such a big day ahead of your daughter, there won't be anything that you could do to stop being her frightened, it is very natural. In fact I'd say it would be unnatural to be frightened.

During the lead up to her surgery you'll have to be positive for her, it really does help, and keep reminding her that the day of the operation is the first day on her long road to recovery.

Once the operation is over she can start to move forward slowly. She is very lucky to have such caring and thoughtful parents, and no doubt you've given her a head start already.

I would say good luck but I wont because you don't need it. She will be absolutely fine, they know what they're doing.

I look forward to reading your thread about her speedy recovery.

Stay positive.

Spot on MC, Never a truer word.

The doctors have to be sceptical because they do see the very worst of illness. They did it with me and my daughter. At one point ( when her bowel perforated and she needed the life saving surgery) the doctor told me she had a 5% chance of survival. I wanted to scream at him for telling me that, It turned out that he was desperately desperately wrong and here she is with me 2 years on healthy happy loud and proud.

The doctors for some very strange reason always tell you the worst case scenario but never discuss the best case scenario.

The doctors for some very strange reason always tell you the worst case scenario but never discuss the best case scenario.

It's probably due to nobody being sued for a very positive post operative outcome.

She was a nursery assistant but was dismissed due to her illness, she was dizzy alot & fainted a couple of times at work, so they had to let her go for the safety of the children (aged from 6mths to 3yrs) & herself. She is really looking forward to get back into it, shes absolutely loves working with children

As unbelievable as it seems to you now, She could be doing this in a year or two time.

You'll be waving her off to work one morning and you'll stand bolt still and think to yourself "ooooh that horrible stressful time when she was sick, It seems like a lifetime away now, How DID we get through it??"

We are 2 years along from our daughters surgery to remove a brain tumour.

Its been a rocky road and very hard to cope with.

Believe me your lovely daughter is in the best hands.. The Neuro unit at the RH are excellent and very supportive, when your daughter is admitted to the ward tell them of all your concerns and ask for support.

The only thing I can say is ..hard as it will be on the day, stay positive and do something away from the hospital, try to keep calm while you wait and be prepared for the chance of the op lasting longer than has been said (as happened with us.)

Your lovely lass will need your support as she recovers an you can lavish all that love you have on her !

The very best to you all

Jan

Its Neurosurgery to safe her life

Hey!

Good luck honey!

Just like to wish your lovely daughter good luck for the operation, and really hope all goes well. Like everyone else has said please tell the ward and theatre staff your concerns they are wonder full people and am sure they all understand.

My daughter had a big operation recently and i was allowed in the room were they put her to sleep, i was a complete wreck it broke my heart leaving her and seeing her asleep, but the staff are fantastic and they came for me as soon as she was in recovery then i never left her side.

Of course she will be allowed her teddy, am sure they will allow her to take it to theatre with her aswell.

Good luck to you all, u sound a very close family, please keep us updated on your beautiful daughter xx