Daughter's passed pre op assessment

Shes going in Hallamshire, we live on Myrtle Crescent so were not that far away, at least we've not got to go all way to northern.

The op will be at least 4hrs but could take upto 6-8 depending on how they can get it out safely.

I know its trivial but she was worried about people laughing at her afterwards with a wig on, but surgeon said he's not going to shave it all off, he's not using the normal method to remove the cyst because its too big.

He said her hair is the least of her worries, he said, she will be depressed afterwards for quite some time but it will go away & she will have temporary memory loss, her recovery is expected to take upto 2yrs & she may have to use a wheelchair for a while. We've got the house prepared in case she does

im sure with loving parents/family she will get through this, as will you all

one of my own personal sayings when times are hard is '' this too, shall pass'' and then i try to imagine myself 5 or 10 years down the line looking back on the present, it sometimes helps to put things into perspective

Edited by adyfife
spelt too wrong

it really makes you think you just dont know whats around the corner waiting for you. i hope both you and your family get through this, and the outcome for your daughter is a good one.

Did they mean you'd have to leave the hospital, or just leave the theatre area? Re-reading your post I'm not sure which!

Obviously you can't go into theatre (and I don't think you'd want to either), but you could go to the canteen if you didn't want to leave the hospital.

She will be admitted onto the theatre admissions unit, where 1 person can stay with her until she goes to theatre then that 1 person is expected to leave a contact number & the unit until they ring them to say she is out of theatre

You sound brilliantly prepared for her recovery. You never know she might enjoy having a groovy new short haircut after shes recovered a little. I'm sure she'll come to terms over time with losing some of her hair. Just keep reminding her it'll grow back quickly.

Have you ever had a walk round western park museum that would be nice for an hour. Obviously if you want to stay in the hospital you will be able too, but taking a walk will make the time go a little quicker, so do consider it. A walk Round crookes valley park would keep you close by too. XX

it really makes you think you just dont know whats around the corner waiting for you. i hope both you and your family get through this, and the outcome for your daughter is a good one.

The positive thing to come out of this is, she was anaemic a year ago & fainted she banged her head on wall & knocked herself out, she had MRI scan to check for bleeding on the brain, this is when they found the cyst & have been monitoring its growth since, the surgeon is positive had she never fainted & bumped her head she would have almost certainly died in her sleep & a post mortem would have found the cyst

You sound brilliantly prepared for her recovery. You never know she might enjoy having a groovy new short haircut after shes recovered a little. I'm sure she'll come to terms over time with losing some of her hair. Just keep reminding her it'll grow back quickly.

Have you ever had a walk round western park museum that would be nice for an hour. Obviously if you want to stay in the hospital you will be able too, but taking a walk will make the time go a little quicker, so do consider it. A walk Round crookes valley park would keep you close by too. XX

I just want to sit on the floor outside the theatre door, but my family have said that will drive me mad, my own GPs offered to pop to my home during his home visits to give me a mild sedative injection just to get me through the op, I think I might opt for that but I dont want to be dozy when my daughter gets to intensive care, they are going to keep her asleep till the next day.

She will be admitted onto the theatre admissions unit, where 1 person can stay with her until she goes to theatre then that 1 person is expected to leave a contact number & the unit until they ring them to say she is out of theatre

I wouldve thought you would be able to stay by her bedspace while she's gone. If really not then they cannot prevent you from sitting in the corrider of whichever floor theatre admissions is on.

I wouldve thought you would be able to stay by her bedspace while she's gone. If really not then they cannot prevent you from sitting in the corrider of whichever floor theatre admissions is on.

That is what I thought TAU is on A floor, then she goes to I think they said N floor critical care unit, a thing that worries me is shes not always aware of what is going on & sometimes cannot express herself in words to strangers. I dont want her frightened before shes goes under anaesthetic