Advice for a beginner.

Hello all. I have a few questions, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I done quite a lot of fishing in my youth, but coming from the coast it was mostly sea fishing, either from the beach, pier or out on boats. Fishing freshwater is something I’ve touched on, but not a lot.

I live fairly near the River Rother and I’m looking to fish the stretch in between the bit looked after by Catcliffe and Treeton Anglers Alliance and the dam at Woodhouse. Sort of behind Orgreave lakes. Does this part of the water require a day ticket still, or is it rod licence only? Also, what dates can you fish from?

And most importantly, what set up do I need? Any advice on type of rod, reel, line strength, fishing methods, bait etc. would all be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Farslad

Think a lot will go on your target fish, ie roach chub tench carp pike and so on, on witch tackle to use, and they way you want to fish float, botton,

On fishing licence it says dates are from 1st Of march for a year licence,

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you, so real knowlageable ppl on here who will deffo be able to point you in the right direction,

Atb James.

you cant fish any rivers until 16th june mate, if you are on about the stretch just after JTF then it is day ticket or you can buy a year book.and just a small maggot feeder filled with maggots willcatch you fish or fish a small stick float with a bulk of number 4s underneath to an 18 hook, constantly feeding maggots and hemp will also catch fish, i also find keeping mobile on small rivers works well, fishing a swim for a while then moving on to another swim

Cheers for the advice chaps. I thought it was around June sometime. I just need something to get me out the house with the football season finishing or she will have me at B&Q/decorating every weekend.

I assume you just buy the day ticket from a balif on the riverbank?

If you have a car then i would head towards meadowhall,all the way from the shopping centre to the weir about half hour walk up stream.i have had barbel to 7lb and chub to 5lb.the nra have just put some more whiskers in where the cooling towers used to be.i fish for pike and the largest pike i have ever seen was in this section 30 plus easy.hemp and maggot to start but once there there in the swim i swop over to meat large bits,fished over the hemp but take a tin of corn.Has for line 3/5 lb if there are not many snags up to 8lb if there are snags,i fish these hard on the deck on a feeder rod