Pedestrian killed in collision with police car

The sanctions for police officers who cause death when speeding is the same as for anyone else who does it.

That's irrelevant to this case, though, since the police officer did not cause the death.

Yes he did.

He did what most officers do at some point. Ive even seen it done today.

He took a chance at speeding without his blues and twos on and won.

The boy who was knocked over lost. Playing chicken or not the police driver should have been going slow enough to stop unless blues and twos were going off.

There seems no point replying with a personal view to this thread as you seem to have a vented interest in the case in question, I think quite a few forum members would be interested in how, and I quote your post 95: I know all the details of the incident. I knew them before the court case. Unless you had full access to the court papers or know the person involved how could you know the full details.

I do know the person involved; he is a neighbour to one of my relatives. I was privy to the facts before the CPS were.

...the police driver should have been going slow enough to stop unless blues and twos were going off.

That's not required under police regulations; and in any event, when someone is deliberately waiting for you to get so close that you can't stop, and only then running out, it doesn't matter how slow you drive you're still going to hit him.

That's not required under police regulations; and in any event, when someone is deliberately waiting for you to get so close that you can't stop, and only then running out, it doesn't matter how slow you drive you're still going to hit him.

Better to hit them at 20 than the speed PC Leadfoot was going.

As it was not an ermegancy then 20 would have been fast enough.

I do know the person involved; he is a neighbour to one of my relatives. I was privy to the facts before the CPS were.

You mean the police mans side of things?

Well that answers the question in post 101: not a colleague but a neighbour of a relative. So now we know why people think you have a bias opinion of this case.

Well that answers the question in post 101: not a colleague but a neighbour of a relative. So now we know why people think you have a bias opinion of this case.

And that's why I have not been giving my opinion.

The two witnesses were both friends of the deceased, and their opinion, given in witness statements at the time, was that it was entirely his own fault and the police officer was blameless. Are they also biased?

And that's why I have not been giving my opinion.

The two witnesses were both friends of the deceased, and their opinion, given in witness statements at the time, was that it was entirely his own fault and the police officer was blameless. Are they also biased?

Of course you have given opinions, my bold.

Post 28:That's very simple to answer. The lad had seen the police car a long way off, and deliberately waited until it was almost directly upon him before running out in front of it.

I actually know the PC involved, but I've refrained from posting anything about it because - obviously - the case has been sub judice until the trial. What has mystified the people who knew about the case is not "how could he not be found guilty" but, rather, "how could anyone possibly think this should have gone to trial." There was never the slightest shadow of a doubt that he would be found innocent - no driver is expected to allow for people deliberately throwing themselves in front of his car.

Post 54: I don't know who the _______ is in your quote; but the instructions to SYP constables flatly contradict this section. Police drivers are told to judge for themselves whether lights and sirens are necessary.

In this instance, given that the sole intention of the student was to run out in front of the police car, sirens and lights wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference. Indeed, very probably, nor would driving within the speed limit; it just means he would have waited a little longer before jumping in front of the car.

Post 58: He's probably referring to the fact that Craig was given the job as a "priority response within 1 hour" call, but judged it himself to be an emergency.

Many people are happy to assume that the police just pretend they were on an emergency to justify speeding after the fact.

Post 60: Hard enough that they sent the case to trial despite it being blatantly obvious that he would be found not guilty. Even the student's own friends openly admitted that it was his fault and not Craig's.

Post 95: I know all the details of the incident. I knew them before the court case. As I said before, what most legal experts found completely staggering is why on earth the CPS bothered to send the case to trial; it was blatantly obvious that no jury could possibly return a guilty verdict.

To be honest I think it is now time to remove this thread completely.

Of course you have given opinions, my bold.

Yes, but not mine; the opinions of legal experts who were intimately involved with the case.

Yes he did.

He did what most officers do at some point. Ive even seen it done today.

He took a chance at speeding without his blues and twos on and won.

The boy who was knocked over lost. Playing chicken or not the police driver should have been going slow enough to stop unless blues and twos were going off.

How is it possible to be going 'slow enough to stop' if someone leaps out in front of your car. The only way to be able to stop in that situation is to not be moving in the first place.

The sanctions for police officers who cause death when speeding is the same as for anyone else who does it.

That's irrelevant to this case, though, since the police officer did not cause the death.

I think that he played a big part in it, by speeding, which the Police themselves say is inherently dangerous. The danger can be lessened by sirens and lights, and of course, by driving with due care and attention; i.e. not where you know there are drunks, who from experience you will know are likely to run out in front of you. Good grief! I've only driven through town a few times at night in the last few years, but I know from that what people are like, and I'm sure the Police do too!