Nursing pay north v south

I think your misunderstood; nurses are already paid less here than down south but this means nurses up north will be paid 4000 grand less which means probably 6000 less on total if the plan goes ahead.. No wonder the nhs is falling apart

You all betray a staggering lack on knowledge of basic economics. Why should an employee down south, where everything, but especially housing, costs double what it does here, have to manage on the same money as an employee up north, where everything is cheaper?

Already you can see staggering shortages of nurses, teachers ,etc, down south, posts having to be filled by foreigners because English people can't afford to live there, or won't live a skint life because of howm uch it costs to live there.

You then, of course, get lots of staff over-applying for those same nationally-paid jobs up north, leading to excessive competition for jobs up here. Because it's cheaper to live here.

There's no such thing as a Fair Wage - the only measure of whether a job is properly paid is: Can you attract and keep the right staff?

If you can get and keep staff (low turnover), you're paying the right amount, If you can't attract recruits, you're not paying enough. And if every job attract 500 applicants, you're paying too much!

You all betray a staggering lack on knowledge of basic economics. Why should an employee down south, where everything, but especially housing, costs double what it does here, have to manage on the same money as an employee up north, where everything is cheaper?

Already you can see staggering shortages of nurses, teachers ,etc, down south, posts having to be filled by foreigners because English people can't afford to live there, or won't live a skint life because of howm uch it costs to live there.

You then, of course, get lots of staff over-applying for those same nationally-paid jobs up north, leading to excessive competition for jobs up here. Because it's cheaper to live here.

There's no such thing as a Fair Wage - the only measure of whether a job is properly paid is: Can you attract and keep the right staff?

If you can get and keep staff (low turnover), you're paying the right amount, If you can't attract recruits, you're not paying enough. And if every job attract 500 applicants, you're paying too much!

Where abouts 'down south' are we talking about though? I've already looked into jobs in the south west and housing, and it ain't gunna cost me £4k extra a year to live there.... are we only talking about London again!?!?!?

Oh well... this convo is boring... just repeating over and over...

Sure lots of nurses and other NHS workers will be THRILLED to get a 20% pay cut. Let's wait and see.

I think this is again politically driven and is in fact a way that this govt can pull money back into their coffers. Happenning across the public services who are now paying for private bankers sending us bankrupt. When you look into it you see that the largest proportion of public sector workers live in "the north". So paying them less saves them an awful lot.

Its a fallacy that the cost of living is less here. What would stop me living down south is the overinflated housing market. The north south divide remains as strong as ever.

I'm a big beleiver in having a strong public service sector and it makes me sick to see this govt destroying it in the name of "austerity".

Actually martyn1949 please tell me how 'basic economics' exempts managers from the north/south pay divide? I'm not going to be penalised for 1) not living in the south and 2) one rule for health care workers and another for the managers! I get your points about cost of living and would like to think I hold more than a basic knowledge of economics but please try to understand the angle us nurses are coming from as this proposal suggests a pay cut for nurses and other health workers but not for those in a managerial role

Oh well... this convo is boring... just repeating over and over...

Sure lots of nurses and other NHS workers will be THRILLED to get a 20% pay cut. Let's wait and see.

I think you already have been having an enforced pay cut for the past 3 years haven't you. not a pay freeze but a pay cut.

Aren't you going to be given a 1% rise....i'm sure u gonna be chuffed with that seeing as cost of living has risen by 3% and inflation is 4%

It just feels like cut after cut after cut, pay freezes, pension shafting and pay cuts and debanding but like I said, I.hope we all stick together and say enough is enough and take action

I think you already have been having an enforced pay cut for the past 3 years haven't you. not a pay freeze but a pay cut.

Aren't you going to be given a 1% rise....i'm sure u gonna be chuffed with that seeing as cost of living has risen by 3% and inflation is 4%

Not me... I qualify this year :)

Has anyone got a link where it says nursing wages will be cut 20%, am aware there's been tentative talk of regional pay but hadn't seen a figure yet and how it might affect me. I'm qualifying as a mental health nurse next year and there's already no jobs out there so starting to think I've made a mistake. If the wage is cut to 16k no way would I stay in nursing which would be a real shame, and a waste of the money spent on training me... but I earned more in office work before going into nursing so why would I work for so much less when you have so much stress and responsibility?

Has anyone got a link where it says nursing wages will be cut 20%, am aware there's been tentative talk of regional pay but hadn't seen a figure yet and how it might affect me. I'm qualifying as a mental health nurse next year and there's already no jobs out there so starting to think I've made a mistake. If the wage is cut to 16k no way would I stay in nursing which would be a real shame, and a waste of the money spent on training me... but I earned more in office work before going into nursing so why would I work for so much less when you have so much stress and responsibility?

There are no links because the subject is still under discussion. My daughter has been in nursing for a number of years, she trained in London, and also worked there for a time. The pay was better and there were more opportunities, but as an ex public sector worker I remember looking at job adverts for London and the South East and envying the rates of pay for all sorts of jobs. :o I think it unlikely that pay will suddenly be cut for people doing such necessary work.

NB: There are jobs and opportunities for mental health nurses, perhaps not in the NHS, but they are not the only employer of nurses.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

did not realize that gas,electric, petrol were different prices to ours. think their water rates are the same, tv licence is the same. it is only the housing costs that are higher as they do have the big supermarkets there which charge the same for food where ever you live north south east or west

Edited by juniee