Grohe shower - replace or repair??

Hi

would like some advice again. I rent out a property and had a grohe ?aventis/avenger shower installed. It runs of a combi boiler.

tenants called me to say it had stopped working. When i called in it was working but the water was only coming out lukewarm. the letting agency i use sent out their plumber and i have been told that i need a new shower installing. i asked if it could be a faulty thermmostat and he said these showers are sealed. I am being quoted 300-400 for a like for like swop.

Does that sound about right????

I cant say until ive looked at the job but can i ask has the shower worked ok before this problem and what combi boiler does it run off.

How long ago was the shower installed and if you would like us to take a look give us a call or email us and we will book you in cheers jon.

The price u are being quoted for a swop seems about right. However, u can service grohe showers and grohe provide excellent after sales support.

I've fixed these in the past and its an easy job to do. You need a new wax thermostate and also a slider assembly. i think you have the avensys as i have not heard of an avenger model... Grohe give a 5year guarantee on parts so if u still have the receipt or proff of purchase give grohe a call. Say you need BOTH the wax thermostat AND the slider assembly, i'll explain why below.

turn of water supply to shower. then loosten a little grub screw on top of the unit. next unscrew the chrome nut on the left (hot) a little bit and then do the same to the chrome nut on the right (cold). hold the unit and continue to unscrew these nuts and the unit will come away from its backplate. A little water will drain away. on the back of the unit you will see a large brass screw and u will need a large flat blade screwdriver to undo it. Careful as underneath is a spring. put the large brass screw and spring to oneside. look inside and u will see old wax thermostat and on the top sits a plastic unit. remove the plastic unit to get to the old thermostat. the platic unit will spring apart as the lugs holding it together always break. (rememeber i said to also ask for slider assembly..this is it). replace the old thermostat will new shiny one and push new slider assembly over it. place spring over slider unit and screw large brass screw back into place. unit back onto back plate and fix chrome nuts back into place but don't overtighten them. tighten up little grubscrew. turn on water and feel chuffed that you have saved £300.

I could do the job in 15mins but give yourself an hour or two.

if you dont feel you can manage come back here and say. Easy job for the regulars on here ( especially as they can also follow my instructions...lol)

andy

The price u are being quoted for a swop seems about right. However, u can service grohe showers and grohe provide excellent after sales support.

I've fixed these in the past and its an easy job to do. You need a new wax thermostate and also a slider assembly. i think you have the avensys as i have not heard of an avenger model... Grohe give a 5year guarantee on parts so if u still have the receipt or proff of purchase give grohe a call. Say you need BOTH the wax thermostat AND the slider assembly, i'll explain why below.

turn of water supply to shower. then loosten a little grub screw on top of the unit. next unscrew the chrome nut on the left (hot) a little bit and then do the same to the chrome nut on the right (cold). hold the unit and continue to unscrew these nuts and the unit will come away from its backplate. A little water will drain away. on the back of the unit you will see a large brass screw and u will need a large flat blade screwdriver to undo it. Careful as underneath is a spring. put the large brass screw and spring to oneside. look inside and u will see old wax thermostat and on the top sits a plastic unit. remove the plastic unit to get to the old thermostat. the platic unit will spring apart as the lugs holding it together always break. (rememeber i said to also ask for slider assembly..this is it). replace the old thermostat will new shiny one and push new slider assembly over it. place spring over slider unit and screw large brass screw back into place. unit back onto back plate and fix chrome nuts back into place but don't overtighten them. tighten up little grubscrew. turn on water and feel chuffed that you have saved £300.

I could do the job in 15mins but give yourself an hour or two.

if you dont feel you can manage come back here and say. Easy job for the regulars on here ( especially as they can also follow my instructions...lol)

andy

Great post ! Remember being stumped by one of these as an apprentice......sent out alone before fully qualified, nightmare lol

know what u mean Steve. i was caught out when i did the first one. undo the back screw and it and the spring beneath flies off around the room ( a bit like when u first service a diverter valve)....its that plastic slider assemby with the other spring inside. soon as u take it out it disintegrates. Without it u may as well go home...

lol. That is how we learn but it makes you feel silly first time.....but that is how you gain your experience, harsh lessons. Makes installing boilers seem SO straight forward :D

I cant say until ive looked at the job but can i ask has the shower worked ok before this problem and what combi boiler does it run off.

How long ago was the shower installed and if you would like us to take a look give us a call or email us and we will book you in cheers jon.

hi this plumber has a good rep on the forum ta jeff

wow. what a fantastic response. I was thinking of getting it replaced after speaking to the letting agent. So it looks like a repair will be about 70 -100??? for parts and labour???

I don't think me or the hubby have the confidence to do the job ( thank you so much complete-heat for such useful instructions)

I'll talk again to the letting agent and find out how much for the repair. i may call one of u guys out though if i get no joy as been having some probs with my letting agent.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Steve and Andy.....

I got the plastic sliding unit and that little brass wax thingy sent to me for free from Grohe.

The letting agent sent out their plumber. I printed off your instructions but he did swear when the spring "ejected" around the bathroom. He fixed it in 1/2 hour and the agency are not charging his time to me. So total cost has been nil.........

Hi there I wonder if anyone could help me please.

I have a Grohe wireless shower which only gives out cold water, i have read all of your posts to other users which i think is with reference to the Avensis? models which are not wireless.

I have phoned Grohe today and my shower is a 36 023 model, which they informed me that they do not make anymore, and that they do not have any supplies of stock and no parts. I said to the very lovely advisor on the phone about your brilliant posts, and he genuinely didn't know how to help me (my shower is out of warranty and i own 2 of these showers) Germany have advised their technical dept that the sealed unit should not be opened!!

Sooooo here is my situation, i have a shower that isn't any good poss 2 that wont heat the water in the future.

Does anyone know if the advice, ( andy complete heat?) gave to someone would work on a wireless shower, as i can get parts for the avensis model, but i have no clue as to if this is the same on the Grohe wireless models???????

Thank you in advance for any insight on my shower problem, hubby is handy but i have no clue about showers whatsoever, if i cant get this fixed looks like i could have to replace alltogether!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to message Complete Heat andy, as i have tacked on to an old thread, i dont know how to start this question myself. Sorry

Edited by ndacre
need to contact a member, but cant mess as only 1 post

Hi, these units are not serviceable. they weren't made for long and I think were grohe's first dip into the water of providing wireless units.

I have only ever fitted 1 of these and being one of the first ever wireless models it was very expensive. I noticed back then that the main unit was sealed and the edges were hot glue welded together. The thermostatic valve was unobtainable from grohe from the very beginning, so if it went wrong you needed to buy the whole unit. Because of this I never recommended them to my customers. In ANY shower the thermostat is a weak point and I like to know I can get a spare rather than ripping off for installing a new shower.

so, sorry cant help in giving a fix. they will need replacing.

andy

PS: avensyis is a completely different model