Drunks and druggies in West Street

What's worrying are the sheer numbers involved. It's not just West Street, it's all over town. The cathedral seems to be ring-fenced with half-dressed men and women, effing and blinding, shouting, staggering and pushing one another with cans of strong lager and cider hanging off their hands.

They don't bother me personally, but I'm not keen letting my kids witness this behaviour. It seems the police and authorities deem such behaviour as acceptible.

Buy then I could say the same about other sectors of society, West Street on a Friday night, for example.

I think you've made a good point there - so many people are quick to condemn drunks who are inebriated on West Street if they look dishevelled and unwashed; but West Street on a night the behaviour of some of the people is truly vile, yet no-one seems to bother.

I work near West Street, and yes there's a fair representation of "undesirables". Prolonged shouting matches are a regular occurrence, keeping us entertained (if you can call it that) in a car crash kind of way. However, it's largely amongst themselves. It's not the most pleasant of things, but they don't seem to hurt anyone.

I also think "poor sods", however they've ended up like this, it can't be a nice way to live. There's an element of repulsion too, but I wonder if that's because we not so much scared of these people but rather scared of ending up like them ourselves.

You are a disgrace. Your behaviour on here is no different to a thug on West Street on a night. :rant:

But then it's easy to insult people from behind your keyboard, isn't it:roll:

I'm sure his fifteen minutes on the remand centre's computer is just about up.

There's an hour of reading Enid Blyton before lights out.:thumbsup:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt it against the law to drink on the streets in town centres these days?

It was back in the 80's ! I once left the wig and pen with pint in hand and decided to have a wander around the grave yard surrounding the cathedral....It was'nt long before a young bobby on the beat clocked me and had my pint away and smugly poured it out before i could say "Ayup occifer, nice evening"

Methinks someone is going for the fastest ever ban on SF

It's not just '£60 a week' though is it - when your rent & council tax is paid, you have free dental/optical treatment, free prescriptions etc. All that adds up to millions a year spent, across the board.

I'm sure you're right, it's just that looked at from a cost benefit angle you'd be better off targeting the wealthy who employ creative accountants (Jimmy Carr) and those who avoid paying taxes by going offshore (Tory MP Zac Goldsmith), you know, the types that scream blue murder at those who are welfare dependent. Jimmy Carr was paying 1% tax but he was happy being outraged by bankers

Difficult for Daily Mail readers to grasp I grant you

What's worrying are the sheer numbers involved. It's not just West Street, it's all over town. The cathedral seems to be ring-fenced with half-dressed men and women, effing and blinding, shouting, staggering and pushing one another with cans of strong lager and cider hanging off their hands.

They don't bother me personally, but I'm not keen letting my kids witness this behaviour. It seems the police and authorities deem such behaviour as acceptible.

Buy then I could say the same about other sectors of society, West Street on a Friday night, for example.

This is just not true. I live in the town centre and walk round at all time of the day. I simply don't recognise your description

I've been working near the university for the last 2 weeks and walk into town after work and sometimes at dinner time.

I am amazed and sickened by the amount of druggies and alcoholics between the tower blocks on the roundabout and the city centre. I've been hassled for money and cigarettes and seen two fights between groups of drunks, one of them involved a skanky woman fighting a soiled tramp over a bottle of cider. Where are they all coming from and why are they tolerated? I worked round here 8 years ago and it was never this bad.

I dread to think how much these scum are costing the country

Referring to your fellow Sheffielders as scum is just plain ignorant and rude

This is just not true. I live in the town centre and walk round at all time of the day. I simply don't recognise your description

Well I'm not lying.

I had the 'pleasure' of making an appointment around Hartshead last Thursday. Parking in the Q Park off Rockingham Street I nipped to a business on Leopold Street then made my way to my appointment via Fargate.

The usual suspects could be found at the foot of Fargate, as ever, and there were groups of drunks on the forecourt, down the grasses area and to the rear of the cathedral. Cans of Kestrel seemed to be the day's must-have fuel.

My return journey took me along Campo Lane. More of the same.

Did they bother me ie, interfere with my journey? No, but I am sensible. I give them a wide berth, avoid eye contact and proceed to my destination with haste.

I have never seen such numbers.

I'm sure you're right, it's just that looked at from a cost benefit angle you'd be better off targeting the wealthy who employ creative accountants (Jimmy Carr) and those who avoid paying taxes by going offshore (Tory MP Zac Goldsmith), you know, the types that scream blue murder at those who are welfare dependent. Jimmy Carr was paying 1% tax but he was happy being outraged by bankers

Difficult for Daily Mail readers to grasp I grant you

Yes this is a problem but not as bad as drunks and alcoholics shouting at each other and causing probems in the street with their special brew. At least Jimmy Carr is funny and provides some entertainment.

I think you've made a good point there - so many people are quick to condemn drunks who are inebriated on West Street if they look dishevelled and unwashed; but West Street on a night the behaviour of some of the people is truly vile, yet no-one seems to bother.

in my view its actually worse, on a friday / saturday night youd easily get your head kicked in and its far more worrying walking past.

generally (not saying always) but mostly, its a lot safer walking past the homeless, beggars, winos.....might be a threat from being mugged by a smackrat but its a far far lesser threat i think tbh

no jobs no hope the wheel goes around and around. sorry state of affairs but ture. remember that druggie or drunk could be you or your childern or grand children if nothing changes people with out a furture turn to drink and drugs and die young welcome to camerons britain ladies and gentlmen.

Ha ha. Cameron's Britain? I forgot everything in the country was wonderful just two years ago!