Drunks and druggies in West Street

bernthefirs. Ever heard the saying, 'there but for the grace of God go I?' You don't know these people or the circumstances that led them to being on the street. A little compassion wouldn't come amiss from you.

I had to walk through a scuffle to get into Norrie Waite & Slaters by the cathedral, the solicitor said it was a regular occurence down there since some drop-in centre (or pharmacy?) had opened nearby.

It needs addressing - but I'm not sure labelling people as 'scum' is a good starting point.

Working round there again this week. My god it's got even worse. Druggies and alchies all over and some scumbag in the tower blocks near the roundabout spitting at passers by from 4 or 5 floors up!

no jobs no hope the wheel goes around and around. sorry state of affairs but ture. remember that druggie or drunk could be you or your childern or grand children if nothing changes people with out a furture turn to drink and drugs and die young welcome to camerons britain ladies and gentlmen.

Dont walk down Fargate either because those Shelter people really do get on my nerves, Wouild much rather be approaced by an homeless person with issues.

The high rises at the top near the roundabout consist of interim accomodation, as is the same area opposite to the cathedral. Ben's Place is a drop in centre which offers very good services to the vulnerable as does the Archer Project. There are designated chemist's in the centre which give out methadone, Boots pharmacy - West St been one of those.

You brought up "how much these scum are costing the country". It's important to put that in perspective: rich scroungers cost us ordinary people a lot more than poor scroungers.

That's utter rubbish.

That's utter rubbish.

Is it? That's news to me. I'd love to see your evidence.

Have a good look at them, they are what your taxes & NI are going on,albeit they are a lot more expensive to look at than any museum piece.

Interesting comments. Incidentally have you considered the ammount of tax payers money skanked by the Royal family or the cost of income tax avoidance by wealthy individuals and corporations ? Makes the £60 a week wasted on pathetic alkies and druggies look like piffle.

Perhaps we could" take a flame thrower" to people like Gary Barlow, that comedian, investment bankers, and wealthy corporations

Interesting comments. Incidentally have you considered the ammount of tax payers money skanked by the Royal family or the cost of income tax avoidance by wealthy individuals and corporations ? Makes the £60 a week wasted on pathetic alkies and druggies look like piffle.

It's not just '£60 a week' though is it - when your rent & council tax is paid, you have free dental/optical treatment, free prescriptions etc. All that adds up to millions a year spent, across the board.

That's utter rubbish.

At £30 billion per year, fraud in the UK is more than twice as high as thought, with tax evasion costing the public purse over £15 billion per year and benefit fraud just over £1 billion.

http://citywire.co.uk/money/tax-evasion-costs-treasury-15-times-more-than-benefit-fraud/a378274

the winos and junkies don't look nice, but they do no real harm either, being skanked for a few bob or a fag isn't the end of the world is it?

far worse are the drunken young men with clean clothes and homes to go back to after a night of bingeing, puking and often fighting.

leave the poor sods alone their lives are bad enough without whipping up hatred towards them.

Here here x

What's worrying are the sheer numbers involved. It's not just West Street, it's all over town. The cathedral seems to be ring-fenced with half-dressed men and women, effing and blinding, shouting, staggering and pushing one another with cans of strong lager and cider hanging off their hands.

They don't bother me personally, but I'm not keen letting my kids witness this behaviour. It seems the police and authorities deem such behaviour as acceptible.

Buy then I could say the same about other sectors of society, West Street on a Friday night, for example.