Shocking abuse of the Elderly.

Just seen this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/video/2012/apr/23/elderly-woman-care-home-video?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3486

First you get two female 'carers' dumping the old girl around as if she's a piece of meat; next you get a male 'carer', taunting, twisting her arm, then hitting her.

I wonder how prevelant this kind of 'care' is?

EDIT: Sorry, was supposed to go in the general section. Feel free to move...

the forum isn't moderated in that way, you need to report your own post and request it moving.

There is another thread on this topic, based on the TV programme.

ETA: that was quick!

Care of the elderly doesn't make any sense to me, for instance, a friend's father who suffered with Dementia developed bronchitis and later pneumonia, he received intensive treatment for this on and off for over a year, this included three lengthy periods in hospital, what was this for? The poor old dear had no idea who or where he was. During this time when he was allowed 'home' my friend wasn't happy with the staff's attitude and when she saw some bruising on his wrist and she found another nursing home. So one part of the system was keeping him alive and another part of the system was abusing him, wouldn't it be kinder in these cases to give palliative care and allow nature to take it's course rather than extend lives just because we can.

Care of the elderly doesn't make any sense to me, for instance, a friend's father who suffered with Dementia developed bronchitis and later pneumonia, he received intensive treatment for this on and off for over a year, this included three lengthy periods in hospital, what was this for? The poor old dear had no idea who or where he was. During this time when he was allowed 'home' my friend wasn't happy with the staff's attitude and when she saw some bruising on his wrist and she found another nursing home. So one part of the system was keeping him alive and another part of the system was abusing him, wouldn't it be kinder in these cases to give palliative care and allow nature to take it's course rather than extend lives just because we can.

The problem with that is, if palliative care was successful then there's no excuse why any other care can't equally be so. There's no reason to believe that palliative care wouldn't be prone to abuse. It's people, not the type of care.

The sad thing about this is that in a matter of weeks something else will be news and this will be forgotten.

Even so how would you like someone to abuse you out of no where? Imagin you are extremely ill and weak, you are totaly dependent on other people to help and insted of care you get slaps or touched in the wrong way!

Its digusting!

I am a carer and it kills me to think that anyone could hurt someone so scared and defencless as an elderly person.

Whats more is they are scared most of the time when they are in homes, Its not what they are used to and its not anything close to how safe they felt in their own homes. Basically No one as a right to even think of going near an elderly person if they arnt going to treat them with personal dignity and respect.

I can`t belive that male carer only got 18months!!!! he should have ten times of that!