Shocking abuse of the Elderly.

I don't know if anyone saw the Panorama programme last night.What the programme revealed was appalling.

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse,you are shown a male carer working alone!! attending to the personal intimate hygiene needs of a vulnerable elderly woman with Atzheimers disease and beating her several times.

This man has from the Phillipines has received a prison sentence.

How can these terrible events be allowed to carry on in society,we hear about them repeatedly.What can we do to prevent such things from happening?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17777113

I didn't realise that males are allowed to give personal care to females.I know females are allowed to give personal care to males though.

Shocking story all the same,but what can be done to stop it? Apart from have cameras installed.

I don't know if anyone saw the Panorama programme last night.What the programme revealed was appalling.

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse,you are shown a male carer working alone!! attending to the personal intimate hygiene needs of a vulnerable elderly woman with Atzheimers disease and beating her several times.

This man has from the Phillipines has received a prison sentence.

How can these terrible events be allowed to carry on in society,we hear about them repeatedly.What can we do to prevent such things from happening?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17777113

My first thought was to involve cameras, but...

So what about RFID tags (e.g. work id), so that an alarm sounds if only one RFID tag enters a room, i.e. always need to be in multiples.

Also these time logs can be viewed by appointed persons of responsibility.

Won't stop abuse, but will ensure two staff are present at all time in private areas.

So what about RFID tags (e.g. work id), so that an alarm sounds if only one RFID tag enters a room, i.e. always need to be in multiples.

Won't stop abuse, but will ensure two staff are present at all time in private areas.

No, it will ensure two RFIDs are in the room at the time

But,there was video coverage of 2 staff.And they were handling the old lady quite roughly.

No, it will ensure two RFIDs are in the room at the time

Hence the last line.

By having two culpable members of staff, it should mean less incidents (such as this, single male), but in no way am I negating the fact of complicity, especially in this sector since we've seen too many examples recently involving numerous members of staff.

But,there was video coverage of 2 staff.And they were handling the old lady quite roughly.

That was a secret camera placed by the daughter.

Something like this would facilitate such action if you were worried about someone in a similar situation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pen+camera&x=0&y=0

I'd hazard that it's technically illegal to do such things though... :suspect:

And even with two in the room it doesn't mean they will be cared for adequately or sensitively ad was shown by the two 'carers' who just pulled and dragged her, never spoke or acknowledged her and just conversed in their own language.

There needs to be something done about care homes.

For a start there needs to be an Independent regulator who will actually do their job. Not pussyfoot about.

As with lots of other things privatisation has led to greed and making the owners of these places rich whilst the people paying them are not getting the care they deserve.

Unfortunately our health service can easily end up going exactly the same way! A frightening thought really.

Voice and sound recognition, a slap and such should be quite distinctive...?

Hence the last line.

By having two culpable members of staff, it should mean less incidents (such as this, single male), but in no way am I negating the fact of complicity, especially in this sector since we've seen too many examples recently involving numerous members of staff.

Well, your last line says it'd show that there were two members of staff in the room, which it won't. It also won't necessarily show culpability, as the person who wasnt there, but their RFID was, may have loaned the RFID or they may have had it stolen

Another disgraceful thing is that the Care Quality Commision department who are given the responsibiliy of inspecting these Care Homes are passing them off as satisfactory when they are not carrying out these inspections properly.They should visit these homes un-announced and during the night if there have been complaints.It would make you question whether they are regulated and run efficiantly.

http://www.cqc.org.uk/

Well, your last line says it'd show that there were two members of staff in the room, which it won't. It also won't necessarily show culpability, as the person who wasnt there, but their RFID was, may have loaned the RFID or they may have had it stolen

Very true, I did mean to note that, but a stricter training and 'making' example cases could help cut that.

Say some kind of national charity training standards thing... a group which has to be allowed to give training seminars to registered care homes.

Good language skills would be required to unsure proper delivery to all involved.