Sheffield Approach from train station - chopped down trees!

Any ideas what's going on around Hallam university and the walkway approach to the train station?

About 6 trees have been chopped down, and I can't see why...

Ahh so that's why they had all the fencing up there when I finished work. Wondered what was going on as there were just fences, no equipment or people there.

Network Rail are doing this all around the network. Makes it much better to see out from the train but crucially the loss of the trees stops leaf mulch on the line making it safer when breaking etc, branches falling on line, trees falling on line, improved line of sight for driver and I guess less fly tipping.

All about safety and the lessened risk.

Network Rail are doing this all around the network. Makes it much better to see out from the train but crucially the loss of the trees stops leaf mulch on the line making it safer when breaking etc, branches falling on line, trees falling on line, improved line of sight for driver and I guess less fly tipping.

All about safety and the lessened risk.

I shouldn't think that this is Network Rail's work, these are the trees on the pedestrian approach just past Blackwells - about 300m from the station.

Yeah, I noticed that today on my way down to the station.

Unless the trees are diseased etc I cannot see why they are doing it. Plus, it looks bloody awful and they have chosen to do it whilst the world snooker championships are on... :loopy:

Yeah, I noticed that today on my way down to the station.

Unless the trees are diseased etc I cannot see why they are doing it. Plus, it looks bloody awful and they have chosen to do it whilst the world snooker championships are on... :loopy:

Perhaps they need the wood for cues.

I shouldn't think that this is Network Rail's work, these are the trees on the pedestrian approach just past Blackwells - about 300m from the station.

Probably part of EMT's evil plan to make locals miserable and discourage fare-dodging.

Any ideas what's going on around Hallam university and the walkway approach to the train station?

About 6 trees have been chopped down, and I can't see why...

This is due to the winter salt penetrating the earth around the trees which as eventually killed one of the trees, the council have funded the cost of all the trees to be replaced and new trees will be shipped over from germany at a cost of 48k.