Happy St Georges Day :)

I can't see the problem with it. It's a good symbol for a country like ours that welcomes people from all over the world. He was a Roman citizen, born in Palestine, lived in Turkey or somewhere and the idea of him was brought back to England after the Crusades, after being made a martyr by the infidel! I think he fits right in here.

And please don't call us Brits, it's so offensive.

How many people waving their flags do you think knows all that? Certainly not the BNP and their unpleasant ilk. By infidel you don't mean our unmentionable (on SF) brothers do you? Surely there are better candidates for a patron saint of us English in these so alleged multicultural times.

So he's not even unique to us? It just gets better.

Far from it. Catholic Saints usually hold many patronages.

According to Wikipedia, St Patrick is also Patron Saint of Nigeria and Montserrat. St Andrew is also Patron Saint of Ukraine, Russia, Sicily, Greece and Romania.

Happy Day everyone!

For the perfect soundtrack to your day, go here and let track 1 play. Uploaded especially!

10 bonus points to the first person to spot the creepy 1970s cultural reference in this post.

Happy St Georges Day everyone,but why are there never any celebrations?

There are.

There are.

This website lists a variety of events, but strangely nobody in South Yorkshire appears to have taken the initiative to organise anything. :roll:http://www.stgeorgesholiday.com/events/index.asp?qryCategory=West+Midlands

Seriously, there was an event, the dancing Giants were in town today, it was in the Star. I believe there is also a beer tent in town.

Enjoy.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Happy St. George's Day

and it's William Shakespeare's birthday too

Happy Day everyone!

For the perfect soundtrack to your day, go here and let track 1 play. Uploaded especially!

10 bonus points to the first person to spot the creepy 1970s cultural reference in this post.

Purely from memory, is it Children of the Stones, or mabe something similar?

This website lists a variety of events, but strangely nobody in South Yorkshire appears to have taken the initiative to organise anything. :roll:http://www.stgeorgesholiday.com/events/index.asp?qryCategory=West+Midlands

Seriously, there was an event, the dancing Giants were in town today, it was in the Star. I believe there is also a beer tent in town.

Enjoy.

Its a bit late now though isn't it. I'm ashamed to admit i didn't know it was St Georges Day till i saw this thread.:blush:

Purely from memory, is it Children of the Stones, or mabe something similar?

Blimey - that was quick!

10 points to you, sir. I've been scared of morris dancers ever since!

Blimey - that was quick!

10 points to you, sir. I've been scared of morris dancers ever since!

Was definately creepy. Can't remember the detail - just the fear.

Enjoy.

thought there was a beer tent in sheff??

hi there is a beer tent on top of fargate run by mark , selling english beers and cider . it will be a yearly event . having local bands on etc happy st george day ta jeff