Thoughts on area (S2 2HZ) Parklands off City Road?

Originally posted by ace1010

yeah, I've got one on order. (CCTV that is, not the neon sign, although maybe next week...)

Good on ya... lets just keep our fingers crossed it pays off... :)

New housing development... clearly shouts out New Toy! come mess! :rant:

Just spotted that we now have Graffiti artists in the area... :roll:

I dont feel this area will ever change... as they'd hoped... people (kids) just see it as a new area to play in...

A new house thats in its last stages of being built has its windows smashed... not seen any work men on it for days now... but that doesnt suprise me... whats the point if nothings being done to prevent all this damage from being done in the first place :rant:

My heart really goes out to the people who have bought property in this area... i think i made a lucky escape when my house fell through the summer before last... that had a window smashed too whilst in the process of being built... in fact the house i was purchasing was just a few houses down from the new house now being targeted by vandals... it crossed my mind that the window being smashed may have been a sign... but thought it was an accident by a builder or something... but now we're learning different...

A few weeks back there was a goup of kids stood outside our house talking about knives... i was horrified to hear such a converstaion between kids... it turned out that some of these young kids had been threatened with a knife by other kids over in the park... talk about worrying!?

Approx 10/15 minutes later i was on the phone calling the fire brigade out... someone had set one of the corners of the park alight... :roll:

When will all this stop? just cant wait till the day we move out of here... somewhere more secure and safe...

I know no areas are 100% perfect but somewhere has to be better than living on edge all the time... on Parklands...

When these places were being built, I thought about looking into buying one, as they'd been advertised at around £55k... WHich was what we could get a mortgage for...

Common sense told me not to waste my time, when I saw the exact location of these properties... That area has had a bad name since my Parents moved to Richmond in the 80's, so I don't see why it'd change now, even with such a huge scale of regeneration in the area. :rolleyes:

There's certainly nothing wrong with the houses, or the people in them... They're beautiful homes and most look really well kept (including the rented ones) its just the kids coming from the older parts of the estate that are causing trouble for the residents.... :(

If I were you, I'd give the entire area a wide berth. Its not safe to keep a car there, yet I would not fancy walking either. Its like you have to sacrifice something for the sake of a group of well, barely teenage kids. A little further down the road is Intake, which isn't the best area again, but it's far nicer, and not too far out of the way. I saw some properties a few months ago around the £450 mark with 2/3 bedrooms, garage and garden etc... Family home kinda thing :)

Hope you find somewhere nice... But really - keep well away from there.

Thanks for the comments. Think I'll cancel the viewing I had there now.

Pity you can't do like for like with these kids really, they set fire to something, they catch fire...they break a window, one of their bones breaks...sorry watched too much Red Dwarf ;)

Hi Angel 05-

I'm really sorry to hear of the problems that you've experienced on Parklands. My part of the development is genuinely not anywhere near as bad as what you and some of the others have described. I feel nothing but safe when walking through the area and my property has not been affected in any way.

Sorry that you've had a bad time of it and I hope that you move to somewhere where you will feel more comfortable.

Lib1

Originally posted by Lib1

Hi Angel 05-

I'm really sorry to hear of the problems that you've experienced on Parklands. My part of the development is genuinely not anywhere near as bad as what you and some of the others have described. I feel nothing but safe when walking through the area and my property has not been affected in any way.

Sorry that you've had a bad time of it and I hope that you move to somewhere where you will feel more comfortable.

Lib1

I cant think where abouts you are living within the Development... as far as i'm aware there are problems all over... you must be extremely lucky thats all i can say.. :D

I'm right at the bottom end of the dev- next to the 3rd phase that is being built.

We don't have a car ourselves, but we let one of our neighbours use our car parking space (her flatmate uses their designated car space) and they've had no probs with vandalism/car break ins. Neither have the majority of our neighbours. A couple of cars have had their windows broken, but it appears to be because the owners have left something in the car that has attracted would-be thieves- not just random acts.

As for the kids (and non-residents in general)- they walk past our bit of the dev (there's a public path, near the park in front of our flats), but they don't hang there.

I walk to and from work through the dev each day and often pop up to the shop (Singhs?) near the Post Office fairly late on in the evening and I've never been verbally abused or threatened by anyone. I've seen kids hanging out by the church on the Wulfric Road roundabout and sometimes outside the shop, but that's about it. In the actual development, on most of my travels, there's no one else on the paths/streets except me. My experience of the development is that it is very quiet, even on the weekends.

I was honestly surprised to hear of the level of probs that you and the others have encountered and I'm sure that my immediate neighbours would be just as shocked. We're actually happy at Parklands.

Lib1

is that why you mentioned on another post that you were looking to move? :help:

I was honestly surprised to hear of the level of probs that you and the others have encountered and I'm sure that my immediate neighbours would be just as shocked. We're actually happy at Parklands.

Lib1

Originally posted by BertieBasset

is that why you mentioned on another post that you were looking to move? :help:

Erm... looking to buy a three bed house from 2007 onwards in order to start a family isn't exactly 'running for the hills' now is it?

Are you really trying to tell me that everyone that moves house is running away from something?

Lib1

I think in your case it probably constitutes that.

I think the only reason you haven't experienced broken glass yet is because the kids aren't yet old enough to throw a brick as high as your window.... :help:

Erm... looking to buy a three bed house from 2007 onwards in order to start a family isn't exactly 'running for the hills' now is it?

Are you really trying to tell me that everyone that moves house is running away from something?

Lib1

Lib1

How big is this Parklands development? For you not to notice all the fires, cars being smashed up, etc, you're either walking around blind folded or kidding yourself by the sound of this thread.

Yes, it is awful reading this thread, this is where I live. However, I will honestly say that we have never had any trouble. We have owned several desirable cars whilst we have been here and never had any bother.

Its crap to read horrible things about the place that you live, but unfortunatly these things happen I think the main thing that I have realised from reading this thread is that yes whilst there is regeneration in the area people still have their own ideas about The Manor.

However, me sitting on my bum and not doing anything about it isn't really helping so Pauly I might have to steal your neighbourhood watch idea if it means that it makes the area safer for some people.

Guest Pauly

You're welcome to steal the idea any time Jen. It can't do any harm can it. :)

We came here with an open mind as it was a new area so we didn't expect it to be a bad crime spot but the local kids have been nothing but a complete pain in the backside. Can't leave anything alone so we're really looking forward to leaving.

Hopefully going to try for a place near Ecclesall Rd, Hunters Bar, Nether Edge area. It'll most likely have to be a shared house but I'm cool with that. :D