Thoughts on area (S2 2HZ) Parklands off City Road?

I think the "funky railings" are there to stop chavs accessing the park on their scooters

Hi alysonpeach- the link points to basically the same pics as I put up last Friday (27th Feb). I tried to re-paste the link into my message above- but it won't work for some bizarre reason!

If you walk down Bassledene Rd (just off the Wulfric Rd roundabout), you'll see the Manor Fields district park and the 'funky railings' which surround it. I noticed that you started a thread on the topic of children's playgrounds. In the park just mentioned, they are creating a playground at the moment.

Lib1

I think the "funky railings" are there to stop chavs accessing the park on their scooters

If that is their purpose- then they're not working very well!

Hi everyone,

I am just wanting to pick your brains about parklands, i am currently looking at buying a property here, well a choice of 2 , one is inside the complex the other backs straight on to manor park where the so called funky railings are, is the manor park really that bad? whats the noise like? car crime etc? i would be really interested to hear from ppl living there at the moment, are you still happy you moved? thanks folks .

Hey, me and my fiance have jus moved into the parklands estate ( 1st april 06). We are actually quite worried about the posts being put up. is it really that bad?? we live on bassledene road is this one of the bad areas? we've seen some kids hangin around and one knocked on our door last nite tellin us to tell their mates to stop bangin on the gates but we just ignored it. Please tell your honest opinions. Thanks

The gates banging is usual, if they are locked kids like to shake them. They also like to climb over them, even now spikes have been fitted. There's always kids wandering around, normally no trouble but some are bad. They throw stones for no reason, shout abuse, very loud and as i said they rattle the gate.

If you go out as i did they treaten you, then your house gets pelted with stones. Our door is full of dents from stones and blocks of wood. It's a wonder our windows haven't been broken yet. But i just found out this morning that our toilet room window has a small hole in it from stones thrown at it.

The car park round the back is annoying. Kids have made a hole in the fence for them to get through and then climb on cars (i have found footprints on my car before). They also climb the gates, for no reason. They will come into your garden sometimes, they tried to steal our bikes from our garden once when they were locked.

It is nice round here, quiet during the day, no trouble most of the time, it's only now and again you get trouble. I've been here a year almost and still getting used to the fact that anything you leave laying around will be stolen.

Sorry to bump this thread but can't find any recent threads about Parklands and I'm aware this thread died a death years ago... apologies in advance.

Could anybody who still lives here update me please on what the area is like nowadays, I assume the houses have filled up and problems been resolved with troubles, but as I'm very close to making a decision to go and view one of the new build properties there to rent, wondered if there were any insights as to the area as a place to live now.

Many thanks in advance!

:)

You've probably already made your decision by now but thought I'd comment for anyone else.

I've been on Raynald Road (abit further down from previous posters)for 5.5yrs and been fine, can't complain for what I paid and was a good move after country going into recession because not had to worry about losing massive amounts on value or having huge mortgage.

As for problems there's same as anywhere else nothing out the ordinary but it has seriously got quieter over the past 3yrs (well what I found and my neighbours) so wonder what it will be like in another 3?

Kids hanging around just tend to be in their own bubble and if your right with them they are with you. Some can be buggers but nothing I didn't used to do growing up. 3 of them I got to know there names from having to tell them off a few times lol and were fine with me and neighbours after that but haven't seen them for 6mths now?

My neighbours are mix of new to area like me at the time and people that have lived there before and are all a good bunch, most of us tend to know each on our stretch.

Anyway not sure what it's like further up near Wulfric?

Edited by Stuart82

Hi iv lived on fairligh 30yrs now I'm on payler close parklands all I want to say the manor has a bad rep but I have worked on estates around sheffield and lived on batemore and I have seen that all estates have bad points even dore and totley I have seen it the first day I moved to batemore my car got broken in to it happens all over it just manor has a rep and people like to put there nose in and make it sound bad I'm not saying the manor is the best estate in Sheffield but sorry in my eyes its not that bad and yes I have had my van broken in to but it happens every where I don't blame the estate you just get she odd little ***** as every estate and il be here for menny years

Edited by zac.roofer

I moved onto Prince Of Wales Rd in 1995, and lived there for 3 years, and found it reasonable, especially once the police helicopter was brought in, to catch the joyriders who used Queen Mary and FitzHubert roads as a mini Brand's Hatch. The problems with joyriding diminished amazingly when the police started to settle their hash with the helicopter and the cameras. :thumbsup: