Advice on skin in staffy

hey guys just wanting a bit of advice really,my 7 month old deaf staffy a couple of months ago started having bold patches on her,started with 1 on her neck and leg there's now 4 on her neck and its also under her tummy and legs,this started like 2 months ago,i haven't took her to vet (which I normaly would)how ever I've been using sudocrem and it stops it getting red skin goes back to her normal colour and on the back of the neck has even started growing back,but I have to do it everyday if not twice a day,just wonderd if it was to do with the lack of pigment or the fact she's white,it dosent bother her at all hasent got fleas so I'm puzzled

It could be stress, if anything has changed with in the house(New pet etc) she might not like it

It could be stress, if anything has changed with in the house(New pet etc) she might not like it

That's what I was considering aswell,but it started before anything changed,very confused really as its not bothering her and gets better with sudocrem but as she's white she gets very sore when its sunny so going to have to start using sun lotion

staffies often get a certain mite that causes bald patches my sis in laws had it they use the advocat spot on rather than frontline as this is supposed to treat it?

my staffy x has bald patches which i have been told are hormonal by the vet? is your girl spayed?

if i swap mine to a cheaper/poorer quality food these get worse?

It could also be an allergy, they are very prevalent in in a white animals.

hey yea she's spayed,was spayed,was straight away before a season,cant see what shed be allergic to as changed nothing but she's been like it a while,however they are overdue a frontline(dont have fleas) but think I may take her to vets before I frontline them just to make sure it won't make it any worse,dosent bother her at all more bothers me lolxx

could be ringworm? (fungal infection that causes small circular patches of hair loss and the skin to be a little scabby/dry scales)

Ringworm can be passed onto people from pets.

My staffy has got bald patches on her sides been to 2 vets and they have both diagnosed the same she gets depressed when weather changes apparantly its a common thing in dogs her fur will come out every 6 months or so then grow back shes had all tests for skin allergies vets have said shes healthy so dont worry about it xx

Iv got. Ridgeback x staffy and she had the same problem last year,we bought her spot on and it cleared it up and fingers crossed its not come back,we think it was a mite from when we went away xx

I'm currently having the same problem with my white staffy. Been told it's probably an allergy and to try finding out what she's allergic to by process of elimination. We've changed her food from tinned meat to dry food and it seems to be helping. She's not too keen on it though!!

Skin problems in Staffys are common. It sounds like a combination of diet and stress also the fact that she is still young and probably hormonal. I would advise strongly against using human formuated cream on her skin it will make it worse. Dogs skin is so different from ours and has a natural oil that can be destroyed from to many baths, shampooing or cream if not made of the correct formula.

Wheat is a common allergy for white dogs westies and staffys tend to be sensitive to it. Check whats in her diet for wheat and cut down on red meat. Stick to white meat ie fish chicken, rabbit. Do not give 'treats' or table scraps that are human food this can affect the skin too.

Take her to the vet and get her checked over for mites. Like the previous post said it too is a common problem.

Lovely dogs staffys.

EG

I wouldn't go down the route of skin scrapes from the vets just yet - it often can't be identified and can be so expensive and pointless too. Just my personal opinion.

Staffy's are notorious for skin problems - and do suffer when under stress - the skin will flare up. My personal advice would be

Stop ALL tit bits - NO BISCUITS at all for the time being, no treats, not tinned meat and no complete meat. I would feed just NATURE DIET SENSITIVE - feed just the pink salmon pouches - 1 morning and 1 night.

I would ask your vet for a prescription (no need to buy from the vet) for Advocate 10-25kg usually. Make sure you treat every time it says it has to be done - do not stop because it seems ok.

Get your staffy stress free. If things cause stress - change it so it doesn't - stress triggers skin problems.

Bathe in a mild shampoo - every 2 weeks, or use a good quality fleat shampoo - Jaycliffe sell one that we find excellent. We have always managed to sort out any skin problems following these 3 steps.

Good luck - enjoy your staffs.

LOVE EM!!!