Long queues and empty shelfs at asda...

I always avoid the large supermarkets at Christmas!!

I did my main shop on Tuesday in relative calm at Tesco, Abbeydale.

Then today I went to the small Somerfield on White Lane and got my fresh fruit, veg, milk and meats and it was a breeze!!

:D

I went to Morrisons on Wednesday.It was like hell. But the checkout lady told me that it usually goes mysteriously quiet on christmas eve, so I advise you all to leave your shopping until then, about ten minutes before closing time.

Originally posted by BruciesBabe

I don't think people are panic buying or anything like that coz the shops are shut for 1 / 2 days. It is more because they are catering for families for Christmas.

There are usually 3 of us in our house, but over Xmas we are catering for 12-14! hence the need for lots of shopping.

xxx

Ah but the ones that you are catering for at your house aren't eating at home are they? So in theory they needn't have bought as much in at their end.

Soz but this is just my mind trying to create some sort of equilibrium but I it doesn't seem to work that way somehow.

Originally posted by scoop

I went to Morrisons on Wednesday.It was like hell. But the checkout lady told me that it usually goes mysteriously quiet on christmas eve, so I advise you all to leave your shopping until then, about ten minutes before closing time.

..............when theres nothing left eh;)

Originally posted by Mo

Ah but the ones that you are catering for at your house aren't eating at home are they? So in theory they needn't have bought as much in at their end.

Soz but this is just my mind trying to create some sort of equilibrium but I it doesn't seem to work that way somehow.

Thats what I'd have said... But even though theres just going to be 5 of us for Crimbo, we've bought more "indulgence" food in than normal. Gran always makes a trifle (even though only 2/5 like it... lol) and we have Gran's annual roast pork dinner on Crimbo eve... We rarely eat such big dinners all together, so theres certainly going to be a big trolley full of foodstuffs that we rarely eat at any other time of the year. :P

Boxing day is spent with the extended family, but we go over to Chesterfield to my Aunt's (who lives on her own...) so naturally, she's been getting a trolley full of food for all us lot coming!

I really cant be bothered to go out now and fight with the masses... so I'm gonna watch some silly crimbo films instead and leave them all too it! Good luck to all those in search of sprouts/parsnips and stuffing this evening.... lol!

what, people are going to be out looking for some good stuffing this evening :heyhey::suspect:

Why are people stocking up? Well, would you be very happy if you didn't get in any nice grub for Christmas and had to rummage a pizza out of the freezer? Everyone wants to be stocked up with loads of grub for Foodmas, that's what the rush is about. Anyway, I got mine in on Monday and a good thing too cause today I'm not very well, the Christmas lurgee has got me yet again. :(

Originally posted by BruciesBabe

I don't think people are panic buying or anything like that coz the shops are shut for 1 / 2 days. It is more because they are catering for families for Christmas.

There are usually 3 of us in our house, but over Xmas we are catering for 12-14! hence the need for lots of shopping.

Last minute shopping is also required because of things that go off quickly!

People are not being stupid - they are being considerate coz they want their family and friends to have a good Christmas!

Thats my view anyway.

xxx

Thats the most reasonable post i've read for buying excessive amounts. If you are having such a gathering I then can understand.

The thing is though not everyone are having such family gatherings. I have relations, whom I won't mention, spend around £400-£500 on stocking up on the festive season, incidentaly they like to tell you too :heyhey: . Well they generally cater for themselves and immediate family, then throw loads of stuff away come New Year. I believe this to be the case for most Christmas stockers :loopy: