Hifi shop on Nursery Street

The owners were man & wife named Tim & Pauline Mahoney (wonder if they are still around ) it was a top shop and they knew their stuff

Many years before the mentioned shop, there was a terrific Hi-Fi shop on Ecclesall Rd just up from the corner Co-Op building on the opposite side, I think the owners at the time lived on the premises, on a trip to Sheffield many years later found his adult son had a similar business on London Rd.

Yes, Sheffield Hi-Fi Centre, bought a Kenwood cassette deck from there, er....cassettes are tape based record & replay devices for any younger forumers who may be reading this!

They also made a small player you could carry around with you, plug in some headphones and voila......music on the move, fantastic these cassettes could hold 25 maybe 30 songs!, yes that's 30 not 3000:hihi:.

Regards, acman

Yes, Sheffield Hi-Fi Centre, bought a Kenwood cassette deck from there, er....cassettes are tape based record & replay devices for any younger forumers who may be reading this!

They also made a small player you could carry around with you, plug in some headphones and voila......music on the move, fantastic these cassettes could hold 25 maybe 30 songs!, yes that's 30 not 3000:hihi:.

Regards, acman

Yes I used to supply them as well but damned if I can remember their names, memory like a sieve these days. He always sauntered around in his vest. I used to get there at about 9 in the morning and never get out until after lunch, endless cups of tea and take it in turns with whichever other rep was in to fetch the butties!

Yes I used to supply them as well but damned if I can remember their names, memory like a sieve these days. He always sauntered around in his vest. I used to get there at about 9 in the morning and never get out until after lunch, endless cups of tea and take it in turns with whichever other rep was in to fetch the butties!

reg and Elsie bishop and the son was neil

Regards, acman

it was the sheffield sound centre

Hallelujah that was it ... Qwadraphenia!

I kneu it had a "W" in it!

:)

Quadrophenia was recorded by the Who so you were right.

reg and Elsie bishop and the son was neil

Reg and Elsie, yep well done, what a lovely couple they were.

I bought a load of Denon gear there and a pair of jamo speakers-they were keenly priced.

To -acman, mike-s, susyoo, gnvqsos - As you all had connections to the Sheffield Sound Centre on Ecclesall Rd at sometime or another in the past and not knowing how far any of you go back, I will just throw this out there. Reg Bishop had a favourite LP that he would use to demonstrate his Hi-Fi equipment. The title was 'Bang-Baaroom and Harp', I suppose it would be considered a gimmicky instrumental record by today's standards but was popular at the time for really showing off the Stereo effect with different sounds coming out of each speaker. I recently Googled the record and found out that if you had a brand new unopened vinyl it would be worth something like $200, might have been actually more as it might have been in 'pounds'.

To -acman, mike-s, susyoo, gnvqsos - As you all had connections to the Sheffield Sound Centre on Ecclesall Rd at sometime or another in the past and not knowing how far any of you go back, I will just throw this out there. Reg Bishop had a favourite LP that he would use to demonstrate his Hi-Fi equipment. The title was 'Bang-Baaroom and Harp', I suppose it would be considered a gimmicky instrumental record by today's standards but was popular at the time for really showing off the Stereo effect with different sounds coming out of each speaker. I recently Googled the record and found out that if you had a brand new unopened vinyl it would be worth something like $200, might have been actually more as it might have been in 'pounds'.

Hi mate, Sorry can't remember that but do remember the Joan Armatrading 'Love and affection' album being used alot because of it's recording quality, especially at the Audio centre on Glossop Rd.

I know this is now a thread started in April this year but just wanted to say that my first proper job from leaving school was working for Quadraphenia Hifi Centre on Nursery Street.

I was there between 1978 & 1980 and remember Mike Mahoney and his brother Tim and his wife Pauline together with Paul Hampshire and Pete Stanniforth who worked in the service department.

Every time I got paid I would try and save a bit towards buying a piece of equipment and I still have an Yamaha Amp that I bought in around 1979 that still works.

We would also do Hifi exhibitions at the Hallam Towers Hotel which attracted crowds from far and wide.

Dont know if any of the staff memebers I have mentioned above are still around but would be good to catch up with them if they are?