Can we influence Pakistan?

I decided to watch the video. It described a woman who committed suicide last week - her burns were absolutely unbelievable :shakes:. I suspect that's why this story has made press now.

mmm, that's on News24, for some reason I kept turning to look at that point, horrific!

The sort of people who would consider mutilating non-compliant female family members are not 'ordinary' Pakistanis - they are primitives and their behaviour would not be tolerated in middle-class Pakistani society.

The people who behave like this are the dregs of Pakistani Society ...

You'd be hard pushed to find any people of any origin who aren't disgusted about this, but that in itself won't change things.

It may be a peaceful religious country, but it isn't the country who committed these offenses. It is individuals, just as every country has criminals.

You are both absolutely correct, non of the Pakistanis I know would dream or condone anything like this. And it's exactly these people who can start to push for more regulation and openness, whether that is through their social networks or political.

In my experience Pakistanis are very proud and really care about reputation, so a few influential words could really start a ball rolling.

Just the thought of that image is bringing a tear to my eye...

Precisely, and that would do nothing to help corruption within judicial systems.

If (for example) an officer is earning the equivalent of £1k, and someone offers them a bribe of £20k to turn a blind eye, then I would guess that most would take it. People talk of rich/poor divide in this country as being horrendous when in fact, compared to many societies, it is uncomparable. It is our own lack of knowledge to what reality is actually like for most countries.

Britain isn't the power it was 100 years ago, back then we were colonial rulers, so we did have influence & responsibility for what happened in Pakistan. We still have a little influence through the commonwealth, diplomats & foreign aid, but that's all. We can't re-invade them.

We have our own corruption to sort out in our own country before we should worry too much about Pakistan, it's not that incomparable, the numbers might be different & the incidence lower, but we can't pretend that similar things don't happen here.

Pakistan is a very corrupt country, horrible things happen there, but there isn't a lot we can do about it. We can change our own country.

Edited by anywebsite

the only way you'd have any hope of stopping it in a place like pakistan is have their "spiritual" leaders to declare its anti islamic and you'll go to hell ,evoke sharia law and have acid poured on the face of the perpetrators.

we did have an influence once when we were the evil imperialists in india by banning and eradicating the insane practice of "suttee" in india.

as for influence these days maybe we could get someone like halibut to go over there and councel them on a more user friendly humane fluid they could use to throw in their faces .

maybe something like tizer.

You are both absolutely correct, non of the Pakistanis I know would dream or condone anything like this. And it's exactly these people who can start to push for more regulation and openness, whether that is through their social networks or political.

In my experience Pakistanis are very proud and really care about reputation, so a few influential words could really start a ball rolling.

Just the thought of that image is bringing a tear to my eye...

I understand most of that - but what was the bit about 'brings a tear to my eye'? - That I did not understand.

This may sound simplistic (perhaps it's a bit better?)

Racism is - to me - a debilitating disease.

If I was the boss of something and I did the hiring and 'racism' figured then were I to allow 'Prejudice' (Race. colour. creed. height. gender or anything else ) to colour my selection, then (statistically - if I hired enough of them - I would damage my chances of hiring the best people. (I can do the maths!)

My Pakisatani friends are just that. Friends. Some live in Pakistan, some live elsewhere.

Many of the Pakistani immigrants who came to the UK were not (perhaps) the sharpest tools in the box, but they were the tools who were chosen. They were the people the British asked for and they were the people they got. If the British government failed to mould the clay, it's the potter's fault - not the fault of the wheel.-

I understand most of that - but what was the bit about 'brings a tear to my eye'? - That I did not understand.

This may sound simplistic (perhaps it's a bit better?)

Racism is - to me - a debilitating disease.

If I was the boss of something and I did the hiring and 'racism' figured then were I to allow 'Prejudice' (Race. colour. creed. height. gender or anything else ) to colour my selection, then (statistically - if I hired enough of them - I would damage my chances of hiring the best people. (I can do the maths!)

My Pakisatani friends are just that. Friends. Some live in Pakistan, some live elsewhere.

Many of the Pakistani immigrants who came to the UK were not (perhaps) the sharpest tools in the box, but they were the tools who were chosen. They were the people the British asked for and they were the people they got. If the British government failed to mould the clay, it's the potter's fault - not the fault of the wheel.-

Have you not seen the pictures of that girl who recently committed suicide because her disfiguration was so so severe after having acid thrown at her by her husband? She been in hospital something like 12 times to have reconstructive surgery, but she was still very very bad.

This is nothing to do with racism, why would you twist it so? This story was on late night News24 all last night, it was truly disturbing!

We have a large Pakistani community who all seem to have strong connections with Pakistan, how can educated brits not influence this despicable routine practice...?

Really? I've lots of Asian 'Pakistani' friends and their country they care for is Britain, no-one else.

They won't listen to us. The only think we can do is ensure it doesn't spread to here. However, this isn't working either with the large number of "Honour Killings" Pakistan is a basket case of a country where the government talks with fork tongue....

Sounds like your saying all honour killings are carried out by the Pakistani community:roll:

Sounds like your saying all honour killings are carried out by the Pakistani community:roll:

Exactly. There are some that aren't carried out by the Pakistani community as well.

Exactly. There are some that aren't carried out by the Pakistani community as well.

Very true.

Its an easy and very lazy point to score against Pakistanis by saying it only happens in those communities as even the most basic internet search would prove its nothing like as exclusive to the 'dirty pakkies' as some would have everyone believe. Its this kind of ignorance that breeds mistrust and hatred :(

Very true.

Its an easy and very lazy point to score against Pakistanis by saying it only happens in those communities as even the most basic internet search would prove its nothing like as exclusive to the 'dirty pakkies' as some would have everyone believe. Its this kind of ignorance that breeds mistrust and hatred :(

Although I must point out the blaringly obvious fact that this thread is about Pakistan....:hihi: