What happened to the 90's 3d glasses.

In the 90's there were video games that had 3d helmets that you wore. These enabled the wearer to turn his head to see what was at the side etc. Strange these items never took off. Just like the helmet used in the film Lawnmower Man.

Virtuality I believe were one of the big ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuality_(gaming)

Didn't motion sickness kill it. The game I remember playing was poor. Though saying all that, the arcade Industry did suffer decline in the mid 90's maybe that was the big reason. It can all be done at home now with 3D, things like connect and a normal TV.

You never know, it may get a revival. I imagine they're now capable of doing a much better job.

Thats the one. At the time we thought by know it would be like being in a total 3d world. With todays technology it would be fantastic. Like I said strange it hasn't taken off again.

I imagine they're now capable of doing a much better job.

Plus not nearly snapping your head off from the momentum if you try to look around too quickly, there was some 2 player plane dogfighting game in London Trocadero that used those, really built up the neck muscles :hihi:

Some guy put together a home made set up for playing Skyrim, with head tracking & a kinect, there's a video

. It's inevitable that some company or another will try & re-invent it at some point, it could be very good with modern graphics.

Thats the one. At the time we thought by know it would be like being in a total 3d world. With todays technology it would be fantastic. Like I said strange it hasn't taken off again.

Plus not nearly snapping your head off from the momentum if you try to look around too quickly, there was some 2 player plane dogfighting game in London Trocadero that used those, really built up the neck muscles :hihi:

Some guy put together a home made set up for playing Skyrim, with head tracking & a kinect, there's a video

. It's inevitable that some company or another will try & re-invent it at some point, it could be very good with modern graphics.

It could come back. I imagine it would be very impressive now. I don't think tv mounted headsets are the way forward though even if we could now remove Steev's weight issues (Not your weight issues Steev, That of the headset.) it doesn't seem very practical anymore. Movement detection, 3d glasses and a wrap around wall seem to be better.I haven't watched the Skyrim video but if it's anything like the Gadget show Battlefield 3 thing I imagine it's pretty cool.

I imagine the only way it would really take off is if it were done as an event sort of thing or big expensive machine that you can't economically replicate at home. What arcades use to be about. Getting the gaming experience you couldn't get at home. The trouble is, a lot can be done at home now.

I imagine a lot in this post.

Edited by Tony Erikson

They had two of these in crystal peaks arcade. I played it and it was rubbish.

It could come back. I imagine it would be very impressive now. I don't think tv mounted headsets are the way forward though even if we could now remove Steev's weight issues (Not your weight issues Steev, That of the headset.) it doesn't seem very practical anymore. Movement detection, 3d glasses and a wrap around wall seem to be better.I haven't watched the Skyrim video but if it's anything like the Gadget show Battlefield 3 thing I imagine it's pretty cool.

I imagine the only way it would really take off is if it were done as an event sort of thing or big expensive machine that you can't economically replicate at home. What arcades use to be about. Getting the gaming experience you couldn't get at home. The trouble is, a lot can be done at home now.

I imagine a lot in this post.

See this thread ;)

No weight issues (Vuzix specs are very lightweight), all required equipment (Kinect, Wiimote, Vuzix - excl. PC) clocks in at probably no more than £300 to £400 currently (retail... so could very probably be made much cheaper, if professionally packaged, through economics of scale). And that's the work of only 1 guy in his bedroom - imagine a professional dev team at it.

If I wasn't already so much into arcade (full-size), I'd probably have some myself - been following both consumer and professional VR developments ever since the Konix/M2 days