Commute to Nottingham

Hello,

I know there are some other threads on this but they're quite outdated now.

I have a job lined up in Nottingham city centre (bridlesmith gate) and have to be in the office for about 8-8.15am.

Does anyone know how long this is likely to take at this time of day? I live in Grenoside.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest makapaka
Hello,

I know there are some other threads on this but they're quite outdated now.

I have a job lined up in Nottingham city centre (bridlesmith gate) and have to be in the office for about 8-8.15am.

Does anyone know how long this is likely to take at this time of day? I live in Grenoside.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi - I used to commute into the centre of Nottingham.

The M1 is hit and miss with traffic, but the A610 which is the road from J26 of M1 into Nottingham is always bad at rush hour and you probably need to allow 30-45 minutes from coming off the M1 to get into the Centre.

I would imagine J26 would be an hour or so from Grenoside so I would be allowing about 1 3/4 to be sure of getting there on time.

If your start time is relatively flexible then give yourself an 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 and some days you will be there on time and some you won't.

We are looking at possibly moving to Derby area as it is within commuting distance to Nottingham for myself and Sheffield for my partner :)

Forgive me for asking but, what's the point in going to Derby when you already have accomodation in Sheffield? You'd be better off having less people in the household having to commute as transport costs are likely to rise over time and having two people travelling means double the outlay.

Seperately, have you considered that Derby to Sheffield is on the Midland Mainline so if you are to commute by train then may be disadvantaged over the coming years with the projects to increase it's line speed and potential electrification? This is also a potential issue at Nottingham, if MML electrification does get passed as it's discussed to electify that as part of MML upgrades too.

I suppose ultimately you're going to have to run the figures, but if your current accomodation cost is secure then I'd suggest you may be better staying put.

If only the OP could cycle to the tram and then use public transport for the rest of the journey...

I commuted from Walkley to a business park just off J27 and it would take 1hr, but as already said the traffic from J26 is bad. I'd take the train (and have for quite some time) if commuting into Nottingham.