Traffic signals in Sheffield

The newly installed lights system at the Foxhill Rd/Halifax Rd/Kilner Way junction appear to be badly mis-timed. When the lights turn to green (Halifax Road) they then turn to red 30 yards further along at Kilner Way, and vise-versa when going in the opposite direction. Standing time at the Foxhill Rd set seems too long as evident from the queues of traffic stretching down past the funeral directors.

I've not noticed recently (and there might be new lights now as part of the recent changes) but for a long time the lights at the bottom of Fox Hill Rd included a phase for the lane directly opposite Fox Hill Rd, even though the road itself has been closed off for several years. I presume it was cheaper to leave it like that than to change it. Actually, I will take a look when I next drive past, to see if they have changed it - they will probably need to change it back if they have, for when the new building is finished.

My main gripe about traffic lights in recent times is the way that priorities have been changed.

The sequence at junctions used to be A, B, P, A, B, P ... where P is the pedestrian. But over the last 10 years many have been changed to A, P, B, P, A, P ... etc.

I don't drive many miles annually, try to ditch the car as often as possible, and walk as often as possible. When I'm walking I really don't mind waiting my turn at junctions. This change in sequence is patronising to pedestrians and infuriating to motorists. Most of us are both.

At simple crossroads, with a pedestrian phase, do any people on here ever cross diagonally, so they can complete 2 crossings at the same time? ie, if you are wanting to stay on the same road, but also cross to the other side.

At simple crossroads, with a pedestrian phase, do any people on here ever cross diagonally, so they can complete 2 crossings at the same time? ie, if you are wanting to stay on the same road, but also cross to the other side.

Yes, I do that all the time. But it's more usual to only want to cross in one direction because when you are walking you tend to position yourself on the right side of the pavement to avoid diagonal crossing.

Quite interested to hear Planner1 admit that there is discrimination against motorists in this regard. Before the changes the maximum wait for both pedestrians and motorists was two changes, now it's 1 for pedestrians and 3 for motorists. The Psalter Lane junction mentioned earlier is a perfect example of this change, and the queues at busy times have become much longer as a result.

I really don't mind waiting my turn when I'm a pedestrian.

Yes, I do that all the time. But it's more usual to only want to cross in one direction because when you are walking you tend to position yourself on the right side of the pavement to avoid diagonal crossing.

Quite interested to hear Planner1 admit that there is discrimination against motorists in this regard. Before the changes the maximum wait for both pedestrians and motorists was two changes, now it's 1 for pedestrians and 3 for motorists. The Psalter Lane junction mentioned earlier is a perfect example of this change, and the queues at busy times have become much longer as a result.

The reason I asked about crossing diagonally is because this would reduce any need for a pedestrian phase between each road phase. Without it, someone who wants to cross two roads at a junction may have to wait for 2 road cycles, then make the first crossing, and then wait for 2 more road cycles before completing the second crossing.

The way that the lights and the kerbs are designed (ie with light positions and textured and dropped kerbs) seem to be designed to put people off from crossing diagonally. TBH, I don't think that I'd ever considered it until I saw lots of people doing it at a large crossroads when visiting Aberdeen (I don't know if it was marked as such, but think it probably was due to the numbers involved). Also, as junctions vary, some with filters etc, it is important that you know that all traffic is stopped at the same time before you cross diagonally. I think it might be worthwhile if planners considered including diagonal crossing as part of the design on suitable new schemes.

I have a big gripe about traffic lights that should be there and something needs doing about it,have you ever got stuck in the traffic turning out of the Arena after some event, drives me mad that one all the lights are on red so all the couches cars and J walkers can turn out, and the stewards even try and stop you getting past something needs doing there fast it took me half an hour to get trough there one night on my way home after a 15 hour shift:evil:

I try and do this if it feels safe to make it. Usually is. I do this quite often at the crossroads of Psalter Lane and Cowlishaw/Kingfield Road.

The reason I asked about crossing diagonally is because this would reduce any need for a pedestrian phase between each road phase. Without it, someone who wants to cross two roads at a junction may have to wait for 2 road cycles, then make the first crossing, and then wait for 2 more road cycles before completing the second crossing.

The way that the lights and the kerbs are designed (ie with light positions and textured and dropped kerbs) seem to be designed to put people off from crossing diagonally. TBH, I don't think that I'd ever considered it until I saw lots of people doing it at a large crossroads when visiting Aberdeen (I don't know if it was marked as such, but think it probably was due to the numbers involved). Also, as junctions vary, some with filters etc, it is important that you know that all traffic is stopped at the same time before you cross diagonally. I think it might be worthwhile if planners considered including diagonal crossing as part of the design on suitable new schemes.

A few famous ones exist in Tokyo and recently Oxford Circus in London was redesigned with the same thing in mind. I suppose it comes down to a mentality though - for me, if the traffic is stopped and distances aren't too expansive to feel unsafe or risky then it's worth doing. Saves me time too.

Interesting how people twist things around, isn't it?

Where exactly did I "admit" that motorists were discriminated against?

You are coming at it from the point of view that the motorist should have the highest priority. Years ago, that was generally the case and many people have become accustomed to this way of thinking.

However, more recently it has been recognised that motorists should not have priority all the time. Pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users are road users, just he same as motorists and they need priority over motorists at times. Nowadays they get priority a bit more than they used to.

That is not discriminating against motorists, there isn't any rule that says motorists must come first. It's giving other road users more priority, some of the time, that's all.

In the particular case of Psalter Lane, the only way to put signalled pedestrian crossings into that junction is to introduce an all red phase in the signal sequence. Thus, when a pedestrian on any approach presses the button, all traffic has to stop.

There are several locations like this around the city where pedestrian crossings have been introduced at junctions which previously didn't have them, mainly because having an all red phase was the only way it could be done. The problem is that traffic levels have become so high that people genuinely have great difficulty crossing if they don't have a signalled crossing, so motorists have to accept that at times, they need to give priority to other road users.

Yes, that is the case. Roundabout signals and queue management signals on motorways can be part time, but junctions have to be on 24/7.

As I have said many times. Signals can only be co-ordinated in one direction. If you happen to be travelling the opposite way at the wrong point in the sequence, you can get stopped frequently.

How is the main route to the parkway not considered to be the direction in which they should be co-ordinated then?

And the 3 sets of lights of Brook Square roundabout, 2 of them are not at junctions, so how can they not be co-ordinated with the 3rd set that is.

How is the main route to the parkway not considered to be the direction in which they should be co-ordinated then?

And the 3 sets of lights of Brook Square roundabout, 2 of them are not at junctions, so how can they not be co-ordinated with the 3rd set that is.

If you are talking about the roundabout below the University, I've always known it as Brook Hill Roundabout. Where has "square" come from?

If the signals you are talking about thee are the ones as you come off the roundabout down Hanover Way, the pedestrian crossings look to operate on demand, they aren't co-ordinated with other signals.

As I have said before and you don't seem to understand, you can only co-ordinate in one direction. It's possible that the IRR is co-ordinated away from Parkway, I don't have personal experience of that road as it was built after I left UTC. However, I use that road quite a bit and can't recall having the same problem that you describe.

it happens a fair amount of time at the junction of snig hill, angel street etc near argos in town

In your scenario, what happens when the single red lamp is broken? The pedestrian still sees a green man. The driver sees nothing and thinks the signals are all out. Multiple signal heads are provided in the interests of safety
Same problem as when lights don't work now..