Origin Order date and install date

30ms sounds good. I have been given another "Estimated" install date of Monday. I won't hold my breath. I could have been with ask4 by now :(

30ms sounds good. I have been given another "Estimated" install date of Monday. I won't hold my breath. I could have been with ask4 by now :(

Im sure ask4 are using the same service as origin so no fast install time its just ask4 like to tell you it will only take 14 days when really its 30 days.

Im sure ask4 are using the same service as origin so no fast install time its just ask4 like to tell you it will only take 14 days when really its 30 days.

Its only origin that have had a problem. The other isp's haven't had a problem.

I carnt say owt about that because im not sure :) Im just going on what friends have said about there setup times.

Me myself ordered origin 3 weeks ago and have had email saying the BT man will be here on the 30th to sort me out YEY 100mb thank you very much :)

I believe Origin fell behind due to a couple of issues.

Firstly, I think they ran into router supply problems.

Secondly, all new customers go on Origins own brand-new network.

My guess is that somewhere along the line they were either told by DRBSY that they couldn't have any more customers on their network, or they had committed to migrating over to the new network and something went wrong leaving them stuck in limbo - unable to connect anyone to either network. That quickly built up a backlog and as they are still a small ISP its been slow going catching up.

So it might seem like nothing is happening, but this is all for the good of the customers in the long run. Just look at the performance of Virgin Media to see what happens if you just connect people to ever faster services without any consideration for if your network can handle it.

Now compare that to Origin!

Edited by AlexAtkin

I believe Origin fell behind due to a couple of issues.

Firstly, I think they ran into router supply problems.

Secondly, all new customers go on Origins own brand-new network.

My guess is that somewhere along the line they were either told by DRBSY that they couldn't have any more customers on their network, or they had committed to migrating over to the new network and something went wrong leaving them stuck in limbo - unable to connect anyone to either network. That quickly built up a backlog and as they are still a small ISP its been slow going catching up.

So it might seem like nothing is happening, but this is all for the good of the customers in the long run. Just look at the performance of Virgin Media to see what happens if you just connect people to ever faster services without any consideration for if your network can handle it.

Now compare that to Origin!

Are you suggesting that all Virgin connections perform like the one in the first graph? You are clearly comparing an Internet connection that is not working properly with one that is.

How somebody can be such a fan boy is beyond me. Do you think for one minute that Origin would start turning down new customers to preserve their existing users super low latency and contention? If they had the opportunity to take on hundreds of customers and potentially upset a few in the process I'm pretty sure they would take it.

Of course not, the issue is that Virgin should not allow their service to get so over-contended that connections are that bad to start with. If Digital Region started doing the same I would switch to BT Infinity.

But if you read around its pretty apparent that some areas where Virgin is particularly popular, they never seem to get top of this problem. Its totally unacceptable that they can sit back and allow this level of service for months on end BEFORE considering it a problem, which means it still goes on for many more months as it takes time to organise upgrading the backhaul to the cabinet.

The point is Virgin are seriously overselling their network then telling everyone that this level of performance is normal.

Of course not, the issue is that Virgin should not allow their service to get so over-contended that connections are that bad to start with. If Digital Region started doing the same I would switch to BT Infinity.

But if you read around its pretty apparent that some areas where Virgin is particularly popular, they never seem to get top of this problem. Its totally unacceptable that they can sit back and allow this level of service for months on end BEFORE considering it a problem, which means it still goes on for many more months as it takes time to organise upgrading the backhaul to the cabinet.

The point is Virgin are seriously overselling their network then telling everyone that this level of performance is normal.

They tend to do this most in student areas. The poor normal folk who live there get told they're looking into it and then when the students go home they get told it's fixed.

I'd take a 0.5mb problematic talktalk connection over a Virgin connection anyday.

Just to let you know........ I have received a formal email confirming my installation date!!!! Yippe! Tuesday morning! I can't wait.

I have recently noticed on their website that they have put all the contact lengths back up to 18months. I assume it doesn't affect me as I signed up before it was increased?

Just to let you know........ I have received a formal email confirming my installation date!!!! Yippe! Tuesday morning! I can't wait.

I have recently noticed on their website that they have put all the contact lengths back up to 18months. I assume it doesn't affect me as I signed up before it was increased?

congrats

i would check that out with them regarding contracts and to get it in writing on what they agree

Hi John,

As you ordered and signed the paperwork before the change you will remain unaffected. We changed our contract length and pricing to bring it inline with the other DRL offerings.

We still offer the 12 month contract but with the higher install cost as before £55 or £75.

Kind Regards,

Origin

A step in the right direction I think, get that installation cost down.

Still though, whilever Infinity are doing free installation offers its going to look a lot more appealing than anything on Digital Region.

As someone else said, I think Digital Region messed up by not taking on the cost of installation themselves, especially when they intended to use profits to pay for extending the network. If they had done think I think uptake of the network would have been much higher.