How to find out a possible liar

I do not wish to go into too much detail, but i could do with some help searching for some information regarding my stepfather. My stepfather has become very secretive/furtive and at times very violent in his behaviour towards my mother/me and my brother, more and more so over the past few years, my mother and i were warned that he was a con man by family and friends, but love blinded my mother, i just accepted that he may have been a bit dodgy in the past but he had probably mellowed with age (how wrong we were). My mother found some old paperwork that related to a bankruptcy order in his name, and a council eviction notice for the property that they live at, when he found my mother with this paperwork he went mental, the upshot was that he has now destroyed all the paperwork, and he even has the gall to state that the papers never existed in the first place. The rowing has turned very bitter, he now claims that he will take my mother to the cleaners if she tries to take this any further. It has since transpired that my mother lent him £1000 when they first met so he could buy himself a replacement works van, this money ended up paying off the rent arrears, so that the eviction could be stopped, she has used her divorce settlement and an injuries at work compensation claim to pay for the house that they both now live in, but he claims that he has paid for it all. I can't figure out if he is just insane/mental or just an out and out con man, in the 10 years that he was working he barely made enough to pay Tax/VAT, so how he thinks he can justify paying a mortgage I'm baffled, I know this as fact as i sometimes took his papers to the accountant.

they are now both getting on in their age(65+), and my mother does not want to go through all the heartache of a divorce etc, she just wants to ensure that me and my brother will not end up with nothing and he will end up with the house if anything were to happen to her, as she now believes that his intentions all along have been to take all of her money and leave her and her natural sons with nothing.

We have tried searching through the Internet for any bankruptcy notifications etc, but we seem to hit a dead end, we need to gain as much info as we can so that my mother could then seek the advice of a solicitor with regard to making a will so that she can prove his wrong doings.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting the bankruptcy info, as money is tight i cannot afford a solicitor to do a search, and any other advice would be gratefully received, Cheers

The obvious statement is to contact the CAB, but the other people you should contact is the domestic abuse services, as they'll best know all the relevant agencies and legal channels available to you

It doesn't have to be your mother who contacts them. If you're her main support, you can contact them. Their numbers are in the front of the phone book

Good luck. I hope you get this mess sorted out

The obvious statement is to contact the CAB, but the other people you should contact is the domestic abuse services, as they'll best know all the relevant agencies and legal channels available to you

It doesn't have to be your mother who contacts them. If you're her main support, you can contact them. Their numbers are in the front of the phone book

Good luck. I hope you get this mess sorted out

Thank you for your reply, we appear to have no choice but to go down this route, when they have argued in the past it always seem to be my mother who ends up walking the streets, i also went mental when i found out, my mother has said that she does not want to be a burden on me and my wife, so hence she does not always tell me that she has been kicked out!!! we have found out when i have called at her home and my stepfather tells us she's not there, i cannot seem to get it over to my mother that i am here for her, and that if he looses it again to come straight over to our house, one of the main problems is that he takes all her money/phone/car keys/house keys etc so she is either trapped in the house or locked out with with nothing, with some very severe mobility/health issues!!!!

get in touch with the domestic abuse people - your mum REALLY needs their help - even if it's through you

the problem with these situations is that the victim is often led to believe that they deserve to be treated like this :shakes:

I will discuss this option with my mother when i next get to speak with her, unfortunately he listens in on all her calls when we phone the house!!!! it just gets worse the more we add it all up!!!!!

Are your mother and stepfather married?

If they are, finding proof of bankruptcy etc. isn't really going to change much with regard to inheritance/matrimonial assets.

If they are married and your mother dies first and there are no trusts or other financial instruments, the surviving spouse inherits.

Wills cannot change that. They can be used as evidence to support a challenge from dependents.

you don't usually make statements like that without a supporting link cgk - I didn't think that was the case - a will overrides the usual paperworkless order of inheritance, though it can be challenged

Are your mother and stepfather married?

If they are, finding proof of bankruptcy etc. isn't really going to change much with regard to inheritance/matrimonial assets.

If they are married and your mother dies first and there are no trusts or other financial instruments, the surviving spouse inherits.

Wills cannot change that. They can be used as evidence to support a challenge from dependents.

Yes they are married, although she has kept her previous name!