Orthodontist doesn't want Parent present at child appointments

Hi, I was recently told at my childs Orthodontist appointment, that parents are no longer allowed in the room when the child is receiving treatment due to a employee receiving training to become a future Orthodontist.

Has anybody else been told this? Can they do this? :help:

I would be greatful for your thoughts on this.

Thanks

If the room is small, perhaps there simply isn't room for both the trainee and the parent to sit in at the same time?

If you have the slightest concern, then by all means tell the orthodontist that you're unwilling to have the child treated without at least one parent present. They certainly cannot insist on seeing your child unaccompanied, but they may not be able to fit in an accompanied appointment for some little while.

If what HeadingNorth says is the case (health and safety may dictate a certain amount of room), then ask if the door can be left open and you stand by it outside.

There may be other legitimate reasons for not wanting a parent present, but I can't think of any.

Hi, Thanks for the replies:-)

There is plenty of space in the room and also a couple of chairs for parents, I have always been present up to now.

I can't speak for orthodontists, but I have frequently come across a similar situation with GPs; they may have a trainee doctor in attendance, and sometimes will ask the trainee to diagnose (as with when I had a banged-up knee.)

It's always entirely permissible to ask to see the doctor without the trainee present, if you so wish. I see no reason why the orthodontist should not be equally accommodating.

I suppose it's just about possible that dental regulations mean parents genuinely are not allowed in the room while a trainee is being - er, trained - but I'd be amazed if that were so. I don't have children of my own, but I can't imagine any parent being happy to let them see any healthcare professional who insisted on parents not being present ... that's a red flag warning if ever there was one!

surely a role such as this would normally mean a full CRB check isn't necessary as a parent will always be there, so they'd be in a sticky legal situation to exclude you

I can't imagine why they'd want to exclude you

I can't speak for orthodontists, but I have frequently come across a similar situation with GPs; they may have a trainee doctor in attendance, and sometimes will ask the trainee to diagnose (as with when I had a banged-up knee.)

It's always entirely permissible to ask to see the doctor without the trainee present, if you so wish. I see no reason why the orthodontist should not be equally accommodating.

I suppose it's just about possible that dental regulations mean parents genuinely are not allowed in the room while a trainee is being - er, trained - but I'd be amazed if that were so. I don't have children of my own, but I can't imagine any parent being happy to let them see any healthcare professional who insisted on parents not being present ... that's a red flag warning if ever there was one!

I believe they actually have to ask for permission and that needs to be granted.

Exactly!! My child will be fitted with a lower brace to accompany the upper brace that he already has, at the next appointment. I wish to know also how the treatment is progressing and what further steps will need to take place.

If I am not there I will only get info from my child which may not be complete.

I also do not know if they plan for my child to be treated by the trainee?

Yes thanks :-) I have not agreed (or been asked to) if it is OK for a trainee to be present.

If I go to see my GP and he has a medical student in with him, the receptionist always tells you that there is a student and do you mind, if you would prefer to be seen without a student she enters it into the computer when she marks your attendance. I think it works the same way for dentists, but never have I been asked to wait outside at the doctors, dentist or the orthodontists with any of my children (who are now grown up)

Dentist's must belong to a board for registered dentists like the BMA for doctors, maybe if you got in touch with these or your local PALS may be abe to help also to let you know your rights to accompanying your child.

I go to Charles Clifford, and each and every one always asks me if it's alright to treat me, even the teachers, so I think the rules are there too!