Buying (renting) web server

DaFoot

Where do you guys rent your server space from?

I don't mean the £20 a year 1 site hosting space, I mean server space/time that can run a number of sites/domains.

Looking at 1and1 at the moment, just because I know a guy that uses them and seems happy, but unsure what level of server to go for.

I'm playing about with the amazon elastic computing stuff at the moment. Takes a little while to figure out, but you can dynamically start/stop as many virtual machines as you like, take snapshots, allocate fixed ip, etc... all pretty easy.

Not really sure of the cost though as I'm not paying.

Using linux with command line access at the moment, but they do windows servers as well with rdp.

I've previously heard good things about rackspace, and when I've had to use their support it's been very quick and very good.

Same here, we've dropped 1&1 because of their terrible "service".

They invoiced us for an upcoming renewal for webspace set up by a previous member of staff.

We told them that the member of staff had left and the web project was no longer needed.

They wouldn't accept any communication from us other than the left member of staff. Despite the emails being written by a human at 1&1 they still addressed them to that member.

We sent them a written confirmation that he'd left and we had no need for the renewal.

Three weeks later we get another email saying that the credit card payment has been rejected (it was a company credit card that got cancelled when the guy left).

They then passed the debt onto a collection agency.

The woman at 1&1 we dealt with was called "Dana". She wouldn't give her surname nor any details of her line manager.

I'm playing about with the amazon elastic computing stuff at the moment. Takes a little while to figure out, but you can dynamically start/stop as many virtual machines as you like, take snapshots, allocate fixed ip, etc... all pretty easy.

Not really sure of the cost though as I'm not paying.

Using linux with command line access at the moment, but they do windows servers as well with rdp.

I've previously heard good things about rackspace, and when I've had to use their support it's been very quick and very good.

Rackspace are great - but a dedi with rackspace starts at about 300 a month. Their cloud is good too, but if you want a webserver serving multiple virtual domains, you'll have to configure it yourself, all their images are plain vanilla.

EC2 is good too, because like the rackspace cloud, you pay by the hour. And you get a free year of low tier usage. They do have reasonable webserver images, but for a virtual machine that's not going to want rapid reimaging and sudden distro swaps, but merely wants to sit quietly and serve websites, it's not very cost effective.

1&1 have some of the best prices around, but as detailed on this thread, their support leaves a lot to be desired. I get a VPS with 1024Mb Ram, 100Gb Webspace & 1Tb Traffic for £16.99 a month (just checked, not £24!). That compares very favourably to 1&1 and the support is better!