Sleep and nappies.

can anyone recommend a really good high absorbancy nappy?

Xander is now 7months old and has realised what sleep is :) hes been sleeping an hour or so longer each night, this last week. Its not been a problem before as he usually wakes for a feed before his nappy is full (I always change his nappy just before bedtime and when he wakes in the night).

Last night he went from 8pm to 3.30 am but unfortunately woke up wet through so I had to change all his clothes and bedding as well.

The problem is that he sleeps on his front so his nappy eventually just squeezes the wet out.

Ive spoke to the health visitor about this and all she has said is to put a pad between his bedding and his mattress and if he wakes wet leave him in his wet clothes till morning as the mat will soak any excess wet throughout the rest of the night. Her reasoning behind this is that once ive had to strip him and his bedding and put clean clothes on hell be awake and not go back to sleep. Now Im not happy to do this for a few reasons - hell get cold once his clothes are wet, hell not sleep due to being uncomfortable, not to mention hygiene reasons.

So hes in Huggies super dry 4+ nappies and I wondered if there are any better absorbancy nappies out there that I can use just at night? Or if not does anyone have any idea of how I can help him sleep through and not be soaking wet through.

i cant belive the health visitor suggested that, that would be horrid for the poor little lad! we always had this problem with my daughter who is now 4 years old and we never found a solution the only thing that slightly helped were pull ups from lidl as they seemed to be really absorbant and now shes out of nappies at night we have to limit her fluid intake from about 6pm as she will wet the bed if she has too much too drink after 6.

thanks for that Katy, my mum was astounded when I told her what theyd said, good job I dont pay much attention to them.

How old was your daughter when you first started using the pull ups on her?

Hi not sure if this will work but can you put something into the front of his nappy like an incontenance pad?

One thing i always do is put a sheet onto cot matress then use one of those pampers bed mats on top roughly where he lays, then put another cot sheet on top,then if his sheet is wet you can take off the top sheet and wet bed mat without too much fussing and disturbing baby.

I cannot understand why health visitor would say to leave him in wet clothes that is awful.

I used to use Morrisons own nappies, they seemed to have an 'extra' bit at the front and seemed to catch everything. I always made sure I ran my fingers down the edge of each stretchy bit before I put it on beforehand which seemed to help.

If all else fails buy some nappy liners I recall seeing some night time ones - what you use with reusables -and put that inside the nappy as a double back up.

No way would I have left my baby wet. If I left a nappy on too long he would get irritated skin! :mad: I don't know what some health visitors are thinking sometimes!

some fantastic ideas there guys thank you.

Fabgirl - good idea about the double sheet with the pads under - ive got loads of the disposable changing pads so will do that for tonight when I make his cot back up. even if I have to lay them all of the cot as he wiggles around loads its still not going to be as bad as having to wash the mattress cover ever time he has an accident.

lauren - never heard of nappy liners but will pop out to the shop and see if I can get some. that might just do the trick and give him that bit extra.

Edited by _daisy_

there have been nights when I've known H was going to wind up waking up wet, so I've changed her nappy in the middle of the night when she's still asleep - rather than waiting until she's wet through

Last night was one such night - okay, we're up to toilet training, so I did actually get her out of bed at 4am and sit her on the toilet before putting her in a dry nappy... but she did sleep through the whole thing!

lauren - never heard of nappy liners but will pop out to the shop and see if I can get some. that might just do the trick and give him that bit extra.

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Smart-Nappy-Disposable-Pads/dp/B000TUQVZY

They are a little expensive but you may be able to find some cheaper :)

can anyone recommend a really good high absorbancy nappy?

Xander is now 7months old and has realised what sleep is :) hes been sleeping an hour or so longer each night, this last week. Its not been a problem before as he usually wakes for a feed before his nappy is full (I always change his nappy just before bedtime and when he wakes in the night).

Last night he went from 8pm to 3.30 am but unfortunately woke up wet through so I had to change all his clothes and bedding as well.

The problem is that he sleeps on his front so his nappy eventually just squeezes the wet out.

Ive spoke to the health visitor about this and all she has said is to put a pad between his bedding and his mattress and if he wakes wet leave him in his wet clothes till morning as the mat will soak any excess wet throughout the rest of the night. Her reasoning behind this is that once ive had to strip him and his bedding and put clean clothes on hell be awake and not go back to sleep. Now Im not happy to do this for a few reasons - hell get cold once his clothes are wet, hell not sleep due to being uncomfortable, not to mention hygiene reasons.

So hes in Huggies super dry 4+ nappies and I wondered if there are any better absorbancy nappies out there that I can use just at night? Or if not does anyone have any idea of how I can help him sleep through and not be soaking wet through.

oh my god!!!! i would never leave alfie in urine soaked bedding and clothes!!!

from my experience everytime alfie had huggies nappies on he has leaked so have stopped using them. i use pampers or tesco and asda own nappies and he has never leaked and sleeps from 7pm til 5:30am. also have a look at how much fluid your baby is having xxx

Would you consider a reusable cloth nappy? We use them on my 7 month old and they last us over 12 hours with no leaks. Or you could just use a waterproof wrap over your disposable I guess so if it did leak it wouldn't escape that.

Something like this http://www.babybots.co.uk/motherease_rikki_wrap.htm

just4bums nappies in kiddiecare, eli has had a rash and leaked in every single brand/non brand but these, they are amazing!!