PDSA and contributions

tifftifco2

I visited the PDSA yesterday with my dog. I registered and gave my contribution. I had my appointment and waited for my dogs meds. Whilst waiting a women was at the counter, the receptionist asked her if she was going to make a contribution to which she replied no I was only here Friday and contributed then! The receptionist replied with well we do ask for a contribution every visit. The women said oh right well if I'd of known that I would of given less Friday :-(. The women was dressed in designer boots and hair all done nice etc. To be fair I don't no the amount she gave Friday but this really got my back up. It is after all a charity and when you see what you would pay at a vets it's surprising these guys can stay open doing what they do for our pets. I was happy to hand over my contribution and will continue to so so whenever I have to go. After all if It wasn't for them many people wouldn't have healthy/living pets. So get a grip and cough up!

I took my mum a few weeks ago to an appointment. I waited in the waiting room while she was with the vet and at least 3 of the people who came in said they would make a donation next time. You got the impression they had no intention of ever making a donation at all. They gave my mother a receipt for her donation with her name on, I wonder if they keep track of those who dont donate and eventually refuse treatment.

Unfortunately there are people who never donate, and a number of these individuals have more than one animal.

It makes me quite mad to be honest because nobody is saying the donation has to be massive, but a bit of something for helping your animal isn't too much to ask. If nobody ever donated, the PDSA wouldn't be able to continue and then all these people would have to pay full at the vets.

They should be more appreciative of the service provided to them, as not everybody is entitled to it (including people on very low wages, just because we don't claim council tax or housing benefits).

I was at the pdsa with Jasper (my kitten) tuesday, While i was waiting a woman came in with a dog that quite obviously had been heavily breeded and looked in a really bad way. When she was asked for a donation she gave them £1 yes one whole pound! I know a donation is a donation but i think £1 just takes the P.

PDSA is good. The vets are very caring (but do understandably get wound up with people clearly breeding their animals, and also people never donating).

Its Vets Now that seems to have a lot of complaints, and because they are based at the PDSA centre occasionally people lump the 2 together.

maybe pdsa should give them a print out of what the cost should be then ask for a contribution,

im sure they would be shocked at the costs for vets and hopefully contribute more

some people choose to ignore it though, if people really are in dire need and have no money that is all well and good but what is wrong is people choosing to give nothing or very little even though they could afford it

maybe pdsa should give them a print out of what the cost should be then ask for a contribution,

im sure they would be shocked at the costs for vets and hopefully contribute more

I may be wrong, but I think they do give them an invoice for what it should cost. At least, that's what I heard last year.

I may be wrong, but I think they do give them an invoice for what it should cost. At least, that's what I heard last year.

yes they do give you a printout of all costs and meds etc, and at the bottom it asks to keep the total in mind when making a donation, i always try and give something when i go, but sometimes i just is not possible, lets say if i have to go a day before i get paid without expecting, but when i make appiontments in advance i will always make sure its on or just after i get paid so i can give something back, last time i went i left £15 down:) but then there are times i have not given something.

I will say to them that i will give something next time on the fews times i have been unable to and next time take it into account and give a bit more, people should not be really making judgement on the people at the counter if they say that, but i do agree the person the OP was talking about sounds very rude and inconsiderate.

the pdsa saved my cats life 8 years ago, i was in hospital and he was in a hit and run, the car behind stopped and took him there, and put a note through my door, while i hopsital i rang them sobbing my heart out, they asked for permission to put him to sleep, i agreed:( But the next morning they actually rang me on the hospital ward to tell me just as they were about to prepare him, he got up and started walking, they then kept him there until i came out a few days later, and had him all ready for me to pick up...his bill came to around £500, i made a £10 donation, not much but it was all i had after coming out of hospital that day and going to get him......I would happily fund raise for them to pay off every penny and more.

they told me he was nearly flat down the middle when he was bought in, broken rips, spleen, stomach, a big mess, they could have decided to let him die the state he was in, but they did not, they worked on him not knowing who is owner was. amazing

to me they are priceless and my cat is now a happy 9 year old,blind in one eye, but very much alive......i think people should think about things like this when being rude and thinking they should not have to donate.....everytime i am able to i will.

I am a fulltime single mum and student right now, and will be for the next 3 years, but i know as soon as im working when i qualify the pdsa are the first charity i will make a weekly donation to regardless of the fact i will then have to pay to visit a proper vets.