Tabby cat thorpe house estate S8

midgecat

There's a tabby cat I've seen in garden off and on for months now. He looks like a stray ie. not overweight, not sleek coat, and clearly very wary of humans. His head has always looked a little big in proportion to his body but a couple of weeks ago I saw him and it looked like one side of his face was bigger than the other. Saw him again last night and that side of his face is definately very swollen, most of the fur off it - behind his ear, cheek bone and down part of the side of his neck. It looks quite red and bloody as though maybe he's been scratching at it.

Please if you know him, or he's your cat, or you know where he hangs out mostly could you let me know? I don't want to interfere if he's someone's pet and they're getting him sorted out. But he looks like he needs to see a vet .... and SOON. I've asked neighbours and they don't know anything.

Midgecat, please contact the Sheffield Cats Shelter asap. This cat needs urgent veterinary attention. From your description it sounds like a Tom with most probably an infected bite wound. He will probably require trapping. I seriously doubt he is going to have an owner. Can you start to put a bit of food, water & a box or something to rest in so he stays around? It can take some doing trapping a wary cat, so you need to give him a reason to stay in the area. He needs help asap. Shelter number is 0114 2724441 calls answered between 1.00 - 4.00 pm

Spats, what a great posting, so positive and helpful.

You're right in doubting he has an owner, he's in a bad way. Any swelling on the face confirms that. A carrier has been provided for shelter and a trap has been taken up. I'm sure the RSPCA will help with funding for this lad, once he gets to Peak Vets. It's just a matter of making sure that Midgecat's cats don't end up in the trap, just needs a bit of planning now.

Edited by magsie

hi shava - i'm 99.9% certain this tabby will not be your cat. pretty certain its a tom cat and that he's not seen the inside of anyone's home in years.

thanks spats. ive been putting food down for another stray for a couple of weeks. no sign of the little bu .... little darlings when you want them though.

It's just a matter of making sure that Midgecat's cats don't end up in the trap, just needs a bit of planning now.

its unlikely my boys will end up in the trap, unless i set it up on the bed or the sofa ;) mog is a different matter.

delighted to say that we managed to trap this lad this afternoon and take him up to peak vets. not a minute too soon i think. blood / gunge dripping from the wound. yes spats - they also think probably infected bite. hoping that the rspca will take it from here. need to call back tomorrow about him.

Oh I am so pleased that you got him Midge. Swellings like that can only mean one thing, the lad would have been suffering so much, in agony. Wonderful job, in safe hands now because of your efforts. So many out there like Jaws, they must always be helped. It's not easy, but I have no doubt that Jaws would have died without your intervention. Great job.

thanks magsie. i was so frightened he would die before i managed to get him. and i wouldn't even know if he had. peak said they would check him for microchip just in case but its very unlikely he has a human. if he has they probably need prosecuting for leaving him in that state.

ps. it was nice to meet strix up at the vets ;)