Help me find a picturesque graveyard

Wortley church. Halifax Road.

I'm looking for church grounds with a graveyard. It's for an art project so the faith, age, use and whether it's open isn't important. The graveyard itself is of more interest to me than the church. Anywhere with huge headstones is perfect, with trees and greenery.

So far I've found Pitsmoor Christ Church, Walkley Parish Church, Greentop Circus.

Any advice is appreciated. I've also googled churches in sheffield and gone through the map but there are hundreds. SO if there's a cute church in your back yard, give us a shout. Thanks..

The cemetery on Cemetery road is full of history and intrigue also very moody.

Hi. Wentworth has two, one dating back many years and it has a lot of interesting stones etc and the old church in the grounds will be opened up for you on request. The details of contacts are on the church door. The new church also has a grave yard and the church is usually open for visits. They are both very pretty and I have used them on similar projects. Good luck.

If you go on the Sheffield Indexers site, click on burial records and then click on maps/photos at the top there are photos of several cemeteries.

Fulwood church has a huge graveyard with loads of headstones - they're a bit crammed in but you might get some nice pictures as some are really beautiful, stone angels and the like. The General Cemetery is very impressive but maybe a bit obvious. Fulwood church might give you something outside the norm. There's always City Road cemetery of course, and a big one on Abbey Lane that is nicely laid out. There are lots of fairly recent burials there and some quite modern headstone designs that might be a bit different, although I guess being recent, there are going to be family sensitivities there, which you might not get at an older, defunct graveyard. I find areas where children are buried really beautiful and precious - you get windchimes, candles, and all sorts - but so unbelievably sad.

Bradfield Church most definately and the bus stops at the gate

Wow. I've never seen this place and it looks incredible from the pictures. Have you thought about Beauchief Abbey by the way?

I have photographed both wards end and the general cemetery but have to say best in my opinion is the general cemetery due to its massive tombs and overgrown areas.

Just one word of warning - Wardsend is quite picturesque, but you might want to take someone with you if you go as it does tend to be inhabited by lowlifes doing various borderline illegalities like air rifle shooting, offroad biking, rolling cars down the hill from the top onto the railway line, and so on.

Now and again the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery do a very informative tour for interested people, on a Saturday morning. It's usually advertised in the What's On column in the Star. Might be worth going on that first.