Ladies - anyone had an IUD?

I have an appointment to have an IUD fitted next week. I read some reviews online, and now I am quite scared :help:

I don't know whether to go ahead with it or not :(

How painful is it in reality? And are the side effects that common?

Knowing my luck, I will hate it and they won't want to remove it.

Hi Isabelle

First thing- if your appointment is with your GP please cancel it and book it with Mulberry Street or another family planning clinic or similar, who do this every day. That's the biggest piece of advice that was given to me by a doctor and it proved to be very helpful.

I had an IUD for 5 years and for me it was the only real choice I had with contraception (due to allergies, hormone dependent cancer and the like) so it was a case of liking it or lumping it.

I have to say that I didn't find the fitting any more painful than a bit of period pain, but it was quite a long process and rather undignified with someone prodding about inside a lot. If you're worried about the process hurting then please take some painkillers a couple of hours ahead of the procedure. I didn't think they were necessary but then again I didn't take painkillers after my hysterectomy so I may not be the person you want to follow with that.

It's also worth bearing in mind that when you have an IUD fitted you have to return after a month, then 3 months, 6 months and yearly for the duration of the IUD, so it's not a 'fitted and done' thing.

As for the side effects after fitting, I did have heavy periods with a lot of clots, but then I also had problem periods from when I was 14 or 15 and had endometriosis that made me bleed for 2 weeks out of every month and I'm not sure that the IUD had any effect on that.

One of the really good things about an IUD is that it can be removed at any time, providing you pick a convenient point in your cycle, so if you do decide that you don't want to keep it, that will be your decision and the doctors can't make you keep it if you want it removed.

My appointment is at Firth Park clinic, I went to Mulberry street first, but had to have the usual tests and arrange a second appointment for the fitting.

I can put up with a bit of pain, its more the long term problems that put me off.

I too don't want to take hormones anymore (took the pill for about 10 years). I had problems before (with intermittent bleeding), had tests and the doctors found nothing wrong, so I put it down to the Pill, but since stopping it about a year ago it is starting to come back. I don't really want to go back to the doctors with this issue because I feel like they aren't really bothered, but I'm sure its not normal :(

I had IUD's fitted in the 90's. The first one was replaced after 3 years and the second was in for 15 years and was removed after I'd gone through the menopause.

I never had any problem at all with it - I wasn't even aware of it being there. I just periodically had it checked out at the doctors.

I never regretted having it put in.

I had one fitted 18 months ago, the fitting is slightly uncomfortable and my arm ached for the rest of the day but was bareable. I don't have to have any check ups and it's going to be in there for 3 years. I can feel it but it doesn't bother me at all. I have only had 3 very light periods since having it fitted. It can be removed at any time :)

I had one fitted 18 months ago, the fitting is slightly uncomfortable and my arm ached for the rest of the day

Now I know I'm a bloke and I may be wrong but have you got two different things mixed up here? If not then I'm not exactly sure what you were fitting where :)

I had one fitted 18 months ago, the fitting is slightly uncomfortable and my arm ached for the rest of the day but was bareable. I don't have to have any check ups and it's going to be in there for 3 years. I can feel it but it doesn't bother me at all. I have only had 3 very light periods since having it fitted. It can be removed at any time :)

You are thinking of the contraceptive implant, which I've tried, but I didn't like. It goes just under the skin of your inner arm and releases hormones for 3 years. The IUD goes in your uterus and does not contain any hormones (unlike the IUS).

The clinic were very reluctant to remove it after only a short time. I was so frustrated with it I would have happily cut it out myself :(

Edited by Isabelle