Recommend a singing teacher?

Lotti

Hi,

I did do a search but didn't find anything very recent and I have some of my own criteria anyway.

I'm looking at possibly doing singing lessons. The thought terrifies me, but it's something I've always wished I could do, have never been able to do and my own fear has always held me back from learning.

I would prefer to learn with a female tutor ideally and I really need someone who will understand how bloody scared I am!! At first, I may not even be able to speak, let alone sing!

Any recommendations very much appreciated.

This one's not female but I'd recommend him very strongly. When I went along for the first time I couldn't even, and didn't dare, sing "Happy Birthday" to him. I now sing in a band. He's very easy to work with and uses lots of imagery and such like to help you get your body to do what it needs to.

He's pretty close to S10 too - on Highcliffe Road.

Edited by Lockjaw

Kate Hogan at Sheffield Singing Academy definitely.

http://www.sheffieldsinginglessons.co.uk/index.html

Centre of Sheffield - I'm a massive fan of Kate's voice. She's an incredible singer, and I'm sure could help you.

She is on here as well, although I forget her username.

PS - she also runs a stage school for kids, so dealing with nerves won't be a problem I'm sure.

I really rate Freestyle Vocals. The tutor is just so easy to get on with because he builds your confidence very quickly and provides a very laid back but effective way of coaching your voice. I was frightened of singing and never thought I could do it but he proved me wrong. His rates were cheap too, he charges about £15 per hour but is usually generous with his time.

I seriously recommend trying a lesson with him because of the way he helped me. He's based a stone's throw from West Street.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be of no help whatsoever but I seem to remember a few of my previous muso associates recommending someone called Mim Suleiman to me. I did meet her once in passing, she's Sheffield and female. I have no other information than that, but I believe she is a successful musician.

This may be of no help whatsoever but I seem to remember a few of my previous muso associates recommending someone called Mim Suleiman to me. I did meet her once in passing, she's Sheffield and female. I have no other information than that, but I believe she is a successful musician.

Couldn't comment on her teaching but she is a top quality singer!

Kate Hogan at Sheffield Singing Academy definitely.

http://www.sheffieldsinginglessons.co.uk/index.html

Centre of Sheffield - I'm a massive fan of Kate's voice. She's an incredible singer, and I'm sure could help you.

She is on here as well, although I forget her username.

PS - she also runs a stage school for kids, so dealing with nerves won't be a problem I'm sure.

Thank you :)

Hi Lotti,

I think you have already contacted me looking forward to meeting you tomorrow :)

By the way folks, we've just had a new male vocal coach start at the academy - he also teaches guitar and songwriting (talented guy!) - he's only in one day a week though so book in before he's booked up! :)www.sheffieldsinginglessons.co.uk