Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

No. There is so much suffering happening around the world. Wouldn't it be in a god's job description to help out? How much conflict is happening in the name of religion?

If it is the God of the Abrahamic faiths not necessarily.

On two occasions in Genesis he strikes people down just for displeasing him (actually on one of those occasions it doesn't even give the excuse that they displeased him, it merely says he striked him down), and in Exodus Pharaoh was going to let the Israelites go on more than one occasion and God 'hardened his heart' so that he didn't, thus causing much more suffering including the death of each first born son.

Indeed God works in mysterious ways.

By the way, before I get lynched for not providing chapter and verse, I'm not sure of them from the top of my head, you'll just have to read Genesis and Exodus if you want them.

On two occasions in Genesis he strikes people down just for displeasing him

Oh bugger!

So if somebody really pi88es you off and you belt him, what next?

If it is the God of the Abrahamic faiths not necessarily.

On two occasions in Genesis he strikes people down just for displeasing him (actually on one of those occasions it doesn't even give the excuse that they displeased him, it merely says he striked him down), and in Exodus Pharaoh was going to let the Israelites go on more than one occasion and God 'hardened his heart' so that he didn't, thus causing much more suffering including the death of each first born son.

Indeed God works in mysterious ways.

By the way, before I get lynched for not providing chapter and verse, I'm not sure of them from the top of my head, you'll just have to read Genesis and Exodus if you want them.

This does seem to be the over used christian get-out clause!

Where does it say in the rules that God has to work in clearly understood ways?

If I was God (which I'm not) and people (singly or 'en masse') pi88ed me off, I'd certainly be inclined to 'work in mysterious ways'.

(Give me your address and I'll sic a plague of boils on you. ;))

Because I believe that Human Emotions exist and manifest differently in different humans, that they have no physical form, one can’t see them, smell them, or touch them, but one can witness the effects they have on humans, I do believe in God, because I have witnessed the effect that God as on humans.

If the question was, is there a God that created everything? then my answer would be NO.

Before the question can be answered with any accuracy, we would need the definition of GOD.

Edited by MrSmith

Do I believe, no.

"Not sure" would imply some "willingness to be convinced" based on evidence. My answer is based on the lack of it.

dont believe in a god as such but I think there are forces out there we dont fully understand

I began to lose my faith in a god just over forty years ago now.

I was by my own choice confirmed as a member of the Methodist church, where I was a youth club leader and Sunday school teacher.

Paul may have had an ephinany on the road to Damascus, but I travelled in the opposite direction, when during a personal crisis I found that god wasn't answering my prayers.

Not only did this engender doubts, but eventually it led to my ceasing church attendance altogether. I eventually became an agnostic. Over time though, more rational thought has led me to reject the idea that any god exists.

I now regard myself as an atheist.

What about you Tony?

dont believe in a god as such but I think there are forces out there we dont fully understand

I would certainly agree, to the point that we are not even aware of let alone understand. Some were not aware of gravity, or the shape of the earth..once they were aware they didn't call it God they just called it gravity.

It would seem lazy to give something proved by science to something that has no 'proof' credibility.

There are far cleverer people than me that believe, so I don't know what to believe. Therefore, I try not to think about it.

There are far cleverer people than me that believe, so I don't know what to believe. Therefore, I try not to think about it.

Believers and non believers come from all walks of intelligence. It's not what they believe but the conclusion as to how they got there in the first place. Don't knock yourself based on others intelligence..or the lack of it.