Tenant credit checks for rental properties

Morning

I'm looking to move out of my parents house in the next couple of months but have a few questions about the credit checks that are done.

Basically everything on my credit file is settled, but one account shows an arrangement to pay for the last fews years again account is settled and there is a default on an account from 2006 which has also been settled.

The issues on my credit file are from years back when I was young and stupid with money.

I have the bond and first months rent and can get a reference from work. I work full time and have held my current job for eleven years so paying the bills and rent is not a problem.

Also people seem to be asking for references from previous landlord obviously I haven't got any as its my first time renting, does a reference from work cover this.

Have I got any chance of being able to rent a property or am I setting myself up for disapointment.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can answer my questions.

I think agencys wil have more a problem with your credit check, then a

Private landlord.

I think agencys wil have more a problem with your credit check, then a

Private landlord.

Quite right Emskies/ Landlords will want to show people round propety before leting and will make there mind up about when they talk to them. If some one wants get a propety they should go propely dressed and talk nice and above all be honest to letter. Cash is king and if you are not on dhss and are a decent person you will have no trouble finding a nice place :)

If your last default is 2006, I can't imagine it would be too much of an issue so long as there haven't any missed or late since then.

If your last default is 2006, I can't imagine it would be too much of an issue so long as there haven't any missed or late since then.

Its the only default I have and will be removed from my credit file in September this year. The account is fully settled which shows on my credit file also.

Quite right Emskies/ Landlords will want to show people round propety before leting and will make there mind up about when they talk to them. If some one wants get a propety they should go propely dressed and talk nice and above all be honest to letter. Cash is king and if you are not on dhss and are a decent person you will have no trouble finding a nice place :)

I hope so, I work full time so im not on dhss.

I might be best ringing round a few estate agents and seeing how the land lies then deciding which way to go

I use a full credit check and to get rent guarantee insurance you will have to pass the check. Some go back 10 years but the recent one I have used go back 6 years. If I cannot get rent guarantee insurance then it's a no go with me.

Some private landlords will not bother and go on gut instinct. If you have a problem with your credit check then perhaps your parents will offer to be a guarantor? So long as they also pass a credit check.

Good luck with it.

The credit checks which are carried out by agencies do not actually cover this sort of activity and they are 99% guaranteed to pass you since they will try and "get around" any situation. Basically, I shouldn't worry about what you have mentioned and also mention this to the agency. Good luck!

we went to look at at house that we liked (the area we was alittle unsure about) everything else was fine BUT we are not wanting to go with the agency we dont think as we need £2000 before we even move in. The checks are anything from £150 per person +. Then you need a month and halfs rent for bond then the first months rent upfront then if you need a guarantor thats anything from £70+.

Also you are not guaranteed to pass the checks and you dont get your money back if you dont pass them.

There is a difference between private landlords and agency's charges for credit checks. The checks are the same and can vary in cost between £15 and £35.

The private landlord will usually only charge the actual cost but an agency will charge a profit as it is part of running their business. A private landlord may want to do the credit check at cost up front before anything else.

If there is a amount of time to pass before a tenant can move in I don't expect a tenant to pay rent and bond up front until just before they move in. But I do charge a £ figure to cover the mortgage repayment for the time until they move in as a holding fee. This fee is deductible from the advance rent on moving in but is non refundable if they give back word. The fee is to cover the mortgage payment for the vacant time they have cost and this happens more than you might think.

As for a reference from a past landlord (although not in your case) it is better to go back 2 landlords as the present one may well want you out and will give a glowing reference to help get a bad tenant off their hands. I would :hihi:

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to ring a few agents next week and explain my situation and see what chance I've got as I hope being honest with them may make a bit of a difference. Like I said at the start all accounts are settled so im hoping a 5 and half year old default that has been settled won't hold me back too much.

I don't have a problem with paying for credit checks and can understand why they are done.

If there are any estate agents on here that knows if this is a major problem can you please reply.