House Extension Megathread - No quotes or advertising

I'm contemplating having an extension on the rear of our house, 2 storey 3 metres wide 3 metres projection, would I need planning for this ?

My house is a 3 bed semi. And the extension is to replace a conservatory, the proposed extension will be upto the boundary line.

Also does anybody have a guide price for the shell and roof only ? Brick built, rosemary tiled roof. I'll do the rest myself.

cheers.

Hi all,

I'm just after some advice, recommendations on a budget etc.

I have a 3 bed semi detached house, built in 1930 plenty of land with the house been a corner plot, property is mortgaged but free hold. Lots of neighbours on the street have also had extensions (I have also been looking at there plans etc on council website)

I think why'l where doing this might as well go for the double extension straight away - no garage though, I think might as well use all of the space for rooms. Now I would like it built the traditional way- Brick, and would say 1/4 at th top will be fine block so that house can be rendered.

So can anyone advise of a local company to draw the plans and sort plans with council etc and cost involved?

I will only be looking for a shell extension to start with so if any one has done this recently what did it cost you please?

Thanks

hi mate

try windle & cook architects

for planning etc in woodseats.

they did my drawings etc on 4/5 bed detached

then i have had some fantastic polish builders who quoted and have finished all my internal work

boiler /radiators/wooden flooring /full plaster approx 10 rooms /bathroom tiling x2/all door frames and doors/skirting boards .

got quotes for £30-£35k

and they have completed the job for £16k including materials

i am well impressed with their work and any inspection welcome

PM me for more info

aj

Edited by mamalocha

Ask for references and pictures or previous builds etc. Even architects recommend friends in the pub believe me as know someone who does it in our local and the builder is shocking.

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help..

Has anyone in sheffield been allowed an extension that was any size over a building line, and approved by sheffield city council?

This is a genuine question and appreciate all answers. Please respond ASAP as I have a meeting with the council Friday.

Thanks in advance

hi sometimes if its a over hang . i think its a building amendments.

Doable with planning permission.

I helped a bit someone recently with paperwork to extend principal elevation.

Approved and gating builder quotes now.

We are hoping to put a 2 storey extension on the back of our house. We want to gain another bedroom but in order to do this we will cover the window on our existing bedroom. We would want to put the window to our existing bedroom on the side of our house. Under permitted developments I understand the window would have to be obscure glazed and not open unless it is above a certain height. Obviously this isn't ideal in a bedroom.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of getting a window on the side of the house allowed when applying for planning permission? Derbyshire County Council don't offer an advice service and it seems a bit pointless applying for permission or spending money on architects if we won't have a chance of being able to do it. The side of the house currently has no windows. Next door is a bungalow which is set back from ours so that the front of their house starts just after the back of ours. A window would overlook part of their front garden. It would not overlook their back garden at all. As they are a bungalow it would not be at a similar level to any windows of theirs either.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello

Are there any builders or people who have had extensions done and can give me a rough estimate for an extension please?

I would be hugely appreciative of any guidance.

I have asked for architect drawings for a 8x2m side extension of my end terraced house. One half will be a shed, the other half a downstairs bathroom for my grandmother. In the loft / roof above will also be a room.

Guide is for build / plumbing and electrics etc - I will be providing windows, doors, bathroom suite etc.

Roof will be slate, outer-skin brick, inner block.

Footings will be required to be dug out.

Thanks again for any replies. I am in between Sheffield / Chesterfield area.