House Extension Megathread - No quotes or advertising

We have just had our windows changed and an extension to a kitchen by Global windows, they were very professional, organised and very friendly. We have been extremely impressed with the standard of work for the price, nothing was too much trouble.

We would strongly recommend.

The cynic in me tells me you either work for or own Global Windows.

The cynic in me tells me you either work for or own Global Windows.

It is sad that you are so cynical. I am a teacher and my husband is a painter and decorator, call us old fashion but we believe in praise for good work done. No connections to Global what so ever!!

It is sad that you are so cynical. I am a teacher and my husband is a painter and decorator, call us old fashion but we believe in praise for good work done. No connections to Global what so ever!!

It's only suspicious because you started a new account just to praise this company.

Whenever that happens it's bound to make people suspicious about whether it's genuine or not.

I'm still suspicious, generally people who join the forum to 'praise' a company, either own it or work for it. Both your posts are written in a way that looks like this.

Oh yeah . You had planning consent for the work you had done. R.S.J. insertion e.t.c. ./ No major work i like that some one to stay clear off me thinks. :hihi::hihi:

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your post, can you explain it?

Which work I had done?

Cheers.

Hi,

We currently have a 2 bed property, which is on the market, however, if it doesnt seel we may look into extending.

We have a kitchen off shot, which has been knocked through to extend the kitchen (not by us) and was wondering who best to go to to find out whether or not this can be build on top of to help create a 3rd bedroom upstairs?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I'm currently looking to buy a semi detached house but am finding that most of them do not have the desired kitchen space so am considering buying a property with the intention of extending the ground floor to create our perfect kitchen.

Before committing to such a project I was wondering who has had property extended is able to provide me with a list of complications that may help

inform my decision.

Most of the properties i've looked at also require new central heating & pwer shower (£4000?), rewiring and consumer unit (£3000?), bathroom (£700), double glazed windows & uPVC Fensa certified doors (£5000?) and carpets throughout (£2000ish). In that order of priority. And of course decorating but i'll do that bit.

But already we're looking at nearly £15,000 and we've not event considered the extension and kitchen units.

I would want the project all taken care of by the builder/project manager so that my only input was high level decision making. From reading around on the internet I have an idea that for this type of project i'd be looking at costs of about £1000 per sq metre. Does this sound realistic?

We'd be looking to add 12.5 square metres.

Also, do prices, such as the per square metre price tend to include plastering, electrics, plumbing?

So, I guess i'm asking for advice along the lines of...

Should I do this? What have I failed to consider in the above list and the big one... can you recommend anyone to do the work should we go ahead?

Thanks

£700 for a bathroom? Maybe to buy a moderately priced bathroom suite, but to remove, refit, tile, etc...

£1000 /sqr metre is a common guide price for an extension. This ignores fitting a kitchen in the extension though, which if you're looking for a decent one could easily be 5k and if you really went to town could be as much as 20k.

If you add all these things together and to the price of the house in the first place, does this not make it possible to buy a house that doesn't need all this work?

£700 for a bathroom? Maybe to buy a moderately priced bathroom suite, but to remove, refit, tile, etc...

£1000 /sqr metre is a common guide price for an extension. This ignores fitting a kitchen in the extension though, which if you're looking for a decent one could easily be 5k and if you really went to town could be as much as 20k.

If you add all these things together and to the price of the house in the first place, does this not make it possible to buy a house that doesn't need all this work?

Yes that is the common sence way./ But most buyers want things to be as they want them and this is never going to happen. They will spend years looking for a perfect house that doesnt exist./ Truest words ever spoke location / location location then work around that.:suspect:

Hello,

I'm looking to build a simple one story permitted development rear extension to the back of a semi-detached house.

Please can anyone recommend an architect who could draw up the plans for my builder?

I've also heard that there are private building inspectors that can draw the plans and also sign off the property (i.e. instead of using the council building control inspector) - does anyone have any experience of this?

Many thanks.

I've also heard that there are private building inspectors that can draw the plans and also sign off the property (i.e. instead of using the council building control inspector).

NHBC has a Building Control section. Is your builder NHBC-registered?

Hi,

We currently have a 2 bed property, which is on the market, however, if it doesnt seel we may look into extending.

We have an off shot at the rear, which was originally toilet, coal store etc. This hasA been knocked through to extend the kitchen (not by us) and was wondering who best to go to to find out whether or not this can be build on top of to help create a 3rd bedroom upstairs?

Thanks in advance.