Ched Evans court trial.

Police are investigating reports that the woman raped by footballer Ched Evans has been named and abused on a social networking site. It follows a complaint to North Wales Police by a leading rape charity, which said the alleged comments on Twitter were "profoundly disturbing".

Sheffield United and Wales striker Evans, 23, was jailed for five years at Caernarfon Crown Court on Friday after being found guilty of raping the woman who was "too drunk to consent".

"We are aware of some comments made on social media sites and we are collating all relevant information."

– North Wales Police spokeswoman

Rape and other sexual assault victims are guaranteed the legal right to lifetime anonymity. But victims' groups fear the current criminal justice rules could be inadequate to guarantee anonymity in the age of social media.

And the latest revelations would add credence to the argument that the law needs updating to prevent victims being identified on the internet.

Evans admitted having sex with the victim, then aged 19, at a hotel in north Wales last May.

In her evidence, the woman said she has no memory of the incident and the prosecution argued she was too drunk to consent to sexual intercourse.

Evans' co-accused, Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, 23, who also admitted having sex with the victim, was found not guilty of the same charge.

Re bib. I would have thought that anyone naming the woman would be in contempt of court, even if nothing else.

I'e seen the name and some of the stuff on twitter and they disgust me.

It is horrific and just goes to highlight that the hideous rape culture prevails. Invariably when a man is found not guilty, a lot of people assume that he is innocent and the woman concerned made a false allegation. And when found guilty, she's a liar, a slut, whore, tramp and it's a wrongful conviction etc. Sickening.

Re bib. I would have thought that anyone naming the woman would be in contempt of court, even if nothing else.

Let's hope that they get charged.

It is horrific and just goes to highlight that the hideous rape culture prevails. Invariably when a man is found not guilty, a lot of people assume that he is innocent and the woman concerned made a false allegation. And when found guilty, she's a liar, a slut, whore, tramp and it's a wrongful conviction etc. Sickening.

absolutely hun. Its as though they think he is incapable of doing something like that.

Agree with the latter comments though I have also seen her being called all of those names....shame on them and I hope whoever has named her get their just desserts !

and people wonder why women or even men don't always come forward after being raped. far too many people are calling her a lair, slut etc without hearing the evidence. so far from what i've heard of the evidence it doesn't sound good for him but i haven't heard it all like many others.

of course i'm not saying some women or men aren't capable of crying rape when it never happened and if they do they should get a similar sentence to an actual rapist.

Edited by NERVY-OWL

"You each took your clothes off and he began having sex with you. Do you remember?"

She replied: "No."

Mr Morgan: "You were happy for this sex to go on weren't you?"

Woman: "I don't remember."

When Mr Morgan suggested she agreed to Mr Evans getting involved when he entered the room, she said: "I don't remember."

Mr Morgan: "You say you had no recollection as to what happened in the street, the taxi or hotel room?"

Woman: "Yes."

Mr Morgan: "Is that actually correct or is it you woke up and knew what had happened and were embarrassed about it?"

Woman: "No."

David Fish QC, for Ched Evans, said :"Whatever you had to drink that night and whatever the effect of any other substance, you went willingly to the Premier Inn with Mr McDonald?"

Reply: "I don't remember."

Mr Fish: "I suggest you had sexual intercourse with both men in that room willingly."

Mr Fish: "You gave no indication to either man you didn't want to have sex."

It is just strange that the jury were convinced in 1 case and not the other on such flimsy evidence, just because she doesnt remember doesnt mean she didnt agree at the time.

As has been said if they were intoxicated as well and they woke up and didnt remember does that mean she raped them?

"You each took your clothes off and he began having sex with you. Do you remember?"

She replied: "No."

Mr Morgan: "You were happy for this sex to go on weren't you?"

Woman: "I don't remember."

When Mr Morgan suggested she agreed to Mr Evans getting involved when he entered the room, she said: "I don't remember."

Mr Morgan: "You say you had no recollection as to what happened in the street, the taxi or hotel room?"

Woman: "Yes."

Mr Morgan: "Is that actually correct or is it you woke up and knew what had happened and were embarrassed about it?"

Woman: "No."

David Fish QC, for Ched Evans, said :"Whatever you had to drink that night and whatever the effect of any other substance, you went willingly to the Premier Inn with Mr McDonald?"

Mr Fish: "I suggest you had sexual intercourse with both men in that room willingly."

Mr Fish: "You gave no indication to either man you didn't want to have sex."

It is just strange that the jury were convinced in 1 case and not the other on such flimsy evidence, just because she doesnt remember doesnt mean she didnt agree at the time.

As has been said if they were intoxicated as well and they woke up and didnt remember does that mean she raped them?

There is obviously a lot more to it than this otherwise the jury would never have returned a guilty verdict. Juries do not reach guilty verdicts on matters of rape lightly, believe you me.

Yes agreed its strange. Ched got what he served - McDonald is a very lucky man.

With the latter then its a strange one but I would say yes it would be rape as they had no recollection of it either. But that doesnt matter in this case as they have admitted to having sex with her.

I can’t remember seems a pretty poor response ……….. the appeal should be interesting.

I can’t remember seems a pretty poor response ……….. the appeal should be interesting.

I still can't see how he can appeal. I read there's apparently a facebook page claiming that the jury interpreted the Judge's directions wrongly, and that's the main ground of appeal.

Except it isn't a ground of appeal at all.

You can appeal that the Judge directed the Jury wrong, but as no one knows what discussions the Jury had, there is no way that anyone, ever, can say how they interpreted something. Similarly, he can't appeal the decision of the Jury, so as long as they were directed correctly, he has no appeal that I can see.

No jury would convict a man on that basis alone as there is more than reasonable doubt. There must be other damning evidence, the video footage perhaps?

How would you want her to respond if she cant remember ?

It did say he was thinking about appealing against the decision but not sure if he can without new evidence. (may have that wrong)