Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

Show me anywhere where I've said I'll be breaking that speed limit now they've imposed it. I don't agree with them imposing it... and evidently according to you I should be thrown into jail for sedition for even going that far.

Not at all.

But your words could encourage others with less intelligence, skill and awareness to flout the law on this road or elsewhere.

Driving at 50 on an open road, with or without bends is probably no safer than 60 until you throw other drivers into the mix, drivers who want to overtake, turn, cross, emerge. I have myself driven down that road a huge number of times uneventfully at 60 but crashes amd fatalities are generally the result of a number of events - the violator, the error, the lapse meeting up in an entirely random fashion - what you don't appear to accept is that Councils (Sheffield is no different to any other Council) up and down the country have to deal retrospectively with the results of the random meetings. They do not allow themselves to carry on ignoring the facts. Their trigger points for intervention are not set in stone (is it a number of events, their severity and/or pressure Jo Public to do something?) and their interventions are not guaranteed to work.

Their intervention here is a simple, straightforward attempt to improve the outcomes should a pattern of random meeting events continue, as is likely. It is a proven fact that, even with modern car technology, a reduction of speed by just a few miles per hour of one or both parties in a randomly generated meeting makes a massive difference to the outcome. Thank the Laws of Physics for that.

Indeed, as one other poster points out, speed of itself does not kill but impact does. Lessening the likelihood of an impact is their first aim and, failing that, lessening the impact itself is what the Council is trying to do, nothing more, nothing less.

By having proper policeman, out on the street, using their judgement and discression.

Some of us have enough wit about us to make such decisions without having red and white bits of tin nailed to telegraph poles to inform us.

If your special awareness and sense of self-preservation is sufficiently flawed that you need such basic decision made for you, it might be better for us all if you considered ceasing driving.

You may well have the ability to back up what you would prefer to do - let me paraphrase: you drive "to the conditions". Fantastic, I think I do as well.

On this forum, of course, there is no way of checking just how true that is.

For instance:

At the sort-of-technical level

- how many drivers around you know what ABS stands for, what it does and how many have been trained in its use and would be confident of taking advantage of its sole purpose (it is NOT to stop you necessarily any quicker or to prevent all skids, by the way)

- how many know what ESP is, what it can do for them and when/why you would turn it off

At a basic level:

- how many drivers check their tyre pressure regularly (HC suggests weekly) or even know what their pressures should be

- how many drivers know what tread they have on each corner and what the purpose of the tread really is (it ain't for grip)

- how many are driving with just-legal tread but have not changed their style of driving to suit the conditions as a result of this knowledge?

You may know all the answers but, from my daily experience sat with drivers of all ages and gender, you need to be aware that you are surrounded by drivers that don't have a full set of correct answers. So, in driving "to the conditions" just make sure you "read" other drivers who think they are driving "to the conditions".

Edited by DT Ralge

while there at it hows about a camera on foxhill road to stop people taking a short cut and skidding on the sharp turn after the church

a camera is needed at the bottom end of fox hill rd as well to deter drivers from hurtling up at 40+

Not at all.

But your words could encourage others with less intelligence, skill and awareness to flout the law on this road or elsewhere.

So, let's get this straight: I shouldn't voice my opinion that lowering the speed limit is wrong in case thick people who can't drive properly might read it and be influenced by it.

I've heard it all now.

2 weeks ago my wife was caught on speed camera doing 45 mph on the parkway coming in to town it was near rthe bernard rd exit where traffic can yurn of the parkway to go to canal or the wicker ares i am just ssaying be careful camera does work there

So, let's get this straight: I shouldn't voice my opinion that lowering the speed limit is wrong in case thick people who can't drive properly might read it and be influenced by it.

I've heard it all now.

I thought you'd be flattered by a suggestion you could influence wider public attitudes.

But it's not just thick drivers. Young impressionable drivers take lots of information in from their peers and elders and are ready at the drop-of-a-hat to spout out everything uncritically that they've been spoon-fed by their peers and elders whether it's politics, religion, football, or driving.

Young drivers die at an alarming rate and it's not because they don't have the mechanical skills of driving down the A61 without crossing the danger paint. They die because their thinking and attitudes towards the driving task is immature and has perhaps been shaped unhealthily by their environment (peers' and elders' attitude to law, authority, safety, compliance) and the barrage of information they pick up along the way to say nothing of peer pressure. All the stuff their instructor told them, they feel, is for learners (to pass a test, if the instructor is out-of-order) not for "real driving" 'cos Mum and Dad or brother/sister don't drive like that.

But then we live in an unthinking or can't-think-critically-for-myself, Jeremy Buffoon, tabloid world that tells us safety is synonymous with "yawn, boring" and "nanny state" and that driving is easy and we can do lots of things whilst driving perfectly safely AND live to tell the tale.

Edited by DT Ralge

2 weeks ago my wife was caught on speed camera doing 45 mph on the parkway coming in to town it was near rthe bernard rd exit where traffic can yurn of the parkway to go to canal or the wicker ares i am just ssaying be careful camera does work there

That's the only one that got me in 1998/9

Oh, and by the way, be careful of slowing traffic and drivers changing lane or cutting in around the junction beyond the camera, or of stood traffic hidden around the corner - could that be why they are keen on a lower speed than 50 on the approach to the junction?

I find it confusing, they first say Speed Cameras are to be removed then they suggest this??

I find it confusing, they first say Speed Cameras are to be removed then they suggest this??

Who said cameras were to be removed?

Jeremy Buffoon? (must be right, then)

Getting back onto topic, do we actually know for certain that this is going to happen or is it just some would-be councillor putting it on his wish list in order to get elected? Because if it is going to happen, why the A61 and not the A57 out to Ladybower which probably has an accident record at least as bad if not worse.

Getting back onto topic, do we actually know for certain that this is going to happen or is it just some would-be councillor putting it on his wish list in order to get elected? Because if it is going to happen, why the A61 and not the A57 out to Ladybower which probably has an accident record at least as bad if not worse.

I took it that the OP used a direct quote, worded to say that it will happen. It's a SCC scheme, and as such will only go as far as the Jet station. I wonder whether there will be a tie in with Barnsley to extend it into the faster section towards the McD roundabout, like they did with the speed limit change itself.

Does anyone know how much it's going to cost to install these cameras? I take it the money to increase speed limits is kept in a separate, non-existent pot as we still apparently don't have enough to make Penistone Road 40mph yet we have plenty to reduce limits and install average cameras.