Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

Do you think vehicle speed should be unmoderated on British roads?
A rethorical question if ever there was one, BF.

Of all the accidents I and others I know have been involved in, speed has never been a factor re. survivability. That includes motorway and head-on ones.

I'm not saying that if you hit an oak at 120mph you're going to walk scot-free, but simply that -within margins (of common sense) around applicable speed limits (i.e. the appropriate speed argument in the debate)- speed is rarely a critical factor.

I daresay luck/happenstance/further variables play just as much of a role. Accidents will happen, and the inherent character of accidents is that they are unplanned - and occur whether you drive at, under or above the applicable speed limit.

Edited by L00b

Well since I've made no comment on my views to speed cameras on this thread you've no idea whether I support your view or disagree with it.

I asked you a one sentence question without resorting to any invective, all it required was a yes or no answer and then we could debate the salient points from there :)

So............just being provocative for the sake of it then. Grow up.

So............just being provocative for the sake of it then. Grow up.

I can't see a problem with BoyFriday asking you a question Fred..isn't that the point of these forums..a debate never hurt anyone..

I can't see a problem with BoyFriday asking you a question Fred..isn't that the point of these forums..a debate never hurt anyone..

Don't worry truman, I suspect 'fred' is one of my old friends here ;)

Don't worry truman, I suspect 'fred' is one of my old friends here ;)

You've got friends...? You learn something new everyday... :D

Edited by truman

A rethorical question if ever there was one, BF.
Not at all L00b! There have been compelling studies into unregulated speed (on motorways rather than A roads in fairness), since I've been driving (over 30 years), I've had more speeding tickets than I care to remember often for minor digressions which seemed illogical to me, so I'm not a supporter of over-moderated road speed.

The poster I was responding to made a rather sensational statement (read it back), which as far as I was concerned demanded further inquiry.

You've got friends...? You learn something new everyday... :D

Quite true, I should have elevated the expression by placing it in inverted commas ;)

Quite true, I should have elevated the expression by placing it in inverted commas ;)

Oh you mean he's a "special" friend...:) I understand..say no more..

Oh you mean he's a "special" friend...:) I understand..say no more..

Ok, bang to rights..he was my driving instructor :hihi:

Ok, bang to rights..he was my driving instructor :hihi:

And I supposed you passed first time..it's all very suspicious.. :)

The one being installed today is on the straight stretch between Grenoside and the bend near Wood Seats, about 1/3 of the way along. Ducts have also been installed just to the Sheffield side of the junction with Hall Wood Road, so I presume one is going there. I don’t know if they are planning any more. The majority of drivers passing one site will go past the other. Yes, it wont pick up those turning down Bracken Hill (or Elliott Lane), but I presume the extra cost in covering each section separately might have had something to do with the decision. Having said that, they have not finished putting them in yet, so there might be more I’ve not seen yet.

I travel that section of road daily on my way to and from Penistone into sheffield, and from now i will be turning off and going through Greno village and on the old Road through Greno woods to the bypass. i suspect i wont be the only one doing this to avoid the new cameras. Theres nowt worse than having to keep slowing down for speed cameras ,then speeding up again after going past them .

I'm not sure how practical this would be. Between Leppings Lane and Tankersley there are numerous junctions on the A61, so a driver travelling the whole route could be subject to having their average speed calculated, but a driver joining and leaving the A61 between 2 ASC's could technically break the speed limit, and get away without punishment. The only significant stretches where ASC's could operate would be between Norfolk Hill and Bracken Hill, and Bracken Hill and A629.

This already happens on the Stocksbridge by-pass, where for example , a driver can enter the by=pass at Deepcar heading towards Tankersley ,pass the first camera just after entering the by-pass , but turn off at Wortley before the next set of cameras ,so they can drive that section at 90mph if they so wish ,but wont be caught speeding ,as they have only passed ONE ASC.