Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

It didn’t take long did it!

Don’t assume you have any idea what my views are, you clearly do not have the breadth of thought. I did not state that speeds should be unmoderated. Yours are the typical rantings of the sanctimonious.

Forgive me, I simply asked you a straightforward question, I made no comment on what you believe or whether it was right or not.

Yet you accuse others of being 'hysterical'.

Not at all, I was responding directly to a poster who thinks people who believe 'speed kills' are 'hysterical sheeple'.

I was merely seeking clarification of whether they think speed isnt a relevant factor in the fatal accident statistics.

Do you mean breaking the speed limit or driving too fast for the conditions..or do you mean actually moving at all :)

Do you mean breaking the speed limit or driving too fast for the conditions..or do you mean actually moving at all :)

I was seeking the answers from the poster ;)

No you did not.

You assumed I was agin any form of speed regulation and that I was denying any relationship between speed and road safety.

Speed does not cause accidents, INAPPROPRIATE speed can cause accidents.

Don't bother responding. People like you bore me.

I was seeking the answers from the poster ;)

I was asking what you meant by speed BF..you know better then I that when you put a post out on here it gets replies from all sorts of undesirables :)

Not at all, I was responding directly to a poster who thinks people who believe 'speed kills' are 'hysterical sheeple'.

I was merely seeking clarification of whether they think speed isnt a relevant factor in the fatal accident statistics.

Believing the governments line that the be all and end all of road safety is speed and the mass fining of people who break the limit will improve road safety, is demonstrating a lack of critical thinking.

Edited by Cyclone
corrected to make sense

I was asking what you meant by speed BF..you know better then I that when you put a post out on here it gets replies from all sorts of undesirables :)

I'd rather not volunteer an opinion just now truman as I have mixed views of speed cameras and Im still processing the relevant arguments as I read through the thread, ironically I've been caught at least twice by the camera at the bottom of Norfolk Hill, so I've reasons to detest them.

It was another poster who used the word 'speed' and I was really wanting them to define what they meant by it and whether they believed it was irrelevant in the cases of fatal accidents.

No you did not.

You assumed I was agin any form of speed regulation and that I was denying any relationship between speed and road safety.

Speed does not cause accidents, INAPPROPRIATE speed can cause accidents.

Don't bother responding. People like you bore me.

Well since I've made no comment on my views to speed cameras on this thread you've no idea whether I support your view or disagree with it.

I asked you a one sentence question without resorting to any invective, all it required was a yes or no answer and then we could debate the salient points from there :)

Believing the governments line that the be all and end all of road safety is speed and the fining of people who break the limit is demonstrating a lack of critical thinking.

Well I don't hold that view in the first instance.

I'd rather not volunteer an opinion just now truman as I have mixed views of speed cameras and Im still processing the relevant arguments as I read through the thread, ironically I've been caught at least twice by the camera at the bottom of Norfolk Hill, so I've reasons to detest them.

It was another poster who used the word 'speed' and I was really wanting them to define what they meant by it and whether they believed it was irrelevant in the cases of fatal accidents.

According to somer DfT stats actaully breaking the speed limit is one of the causal factors in only 5% of accidents..

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/road-accidents-and-safety-annual-report-2010/rrcgb2010-04.pdf

According to somer DfT stats actaully breaking the speed limit is one of the causal factors in only 5% of accidents..

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/road-accidents-and-safety-annual-report-2010/rrcgb2010-04.pdf

That's good news, I'll maintain my driving in the style I've become accustomed, until such time as I encounter a speed camera ;)

I'm not sure how practical this would be. Between Leppings Lane and Tankersley there are numerous junctions on the A61, so a driver travelling the whole route could be subject to having their average speed calculated, but a driver joining and leaving the A61 between 2 ASC's could technically break the speed limit, and get away without punishment. The only significant stretches where ASC's could operate would be between Norfolk Hill and Bracken Hill, and Bracken Hill and A629.

The one being installed today is on the straight stretch between Grenoside and the bend near Wood Seats, about 1/3 of the way along. Ducts have also been installed just to the Sheffield side of the junction with Hall Wood Road, so I presume one is going there. I don’t know if they are planning any more. The majority of drivers passing one site will go past the other. Yes, it wont pick up those turning down Bracken Hill (or Elliott Lane), but I presume the extra cost in covering each section separately might have had something to do with the decision. Having said that, they have not finished putting them in yet, so there might be more I’ve not seen yet.