Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

They were talking about this on the Toby Foster show this morning, although they kept making reference to the drop in speed limit being a future event rather than something that has already happened.

The policeman they had on talking about it was Mr Personality. :hihi:

One thing he did mention was although the run from the MacDonalds roundabout to The Crown pub is a nice wide stretch of road, there have been plenty of problems at the Howbrook crossroads in the bottom of the dip. I can vouch for that, because I've tried pulling out from both sides of that junction and with the speed and volume of traffic it can be horrible at times.

As well as witnessing the aftermouth of a few accidents there, I've also seen plenty of near misses.

Regards

Doom

So was he asked to justify the installation of average speed cameras when the average speed along the road was only 47 mph while the limit was 60 mph?

I think spec camera's are a good idea, it keeps motorists to a consistent speed rather than braking for a gatso and then speeding up afterwards. Out of interest, I put together a list of Fatal road traffic collisions from 2005

There are 2 on the A61 I am not sure about, I know one of them was definitely a delivery driver who didn't negotiate the bend at Woodseats but I can't remember which date it was.

Fatal RTC’s M1 from Junc 30 to Junc 38 since 2005

08/04/2012 – junction 31, woman leaves motorway down embankment – reason unknown

04/07/2011 – junction 31, male leaves carriageway and collides with road sign

30/04/2010 – Highway maintenance vehicle crashes into stationary HGV at junction 33 northbound

01/11/2009 – man dies after being hit from behind in his vehicle by a LGV sbc j33

13/07/2009 – 18 yr old dies after minibus overturns nbc j 32

11/10/2008 – 3 killed after vehicle collides with road sign nbc – j32

29/03/2008 – vehicle overturns J37 nbc – elderly passenger killed

17/07/2007 – M1 SBC just after Woodall Services – foreign HGV entering M1

25/09/2007 – male jumps from bridge at Tankersley NBC

25/12/2007 – junction 35 sbc – vehicle crashes into central reservation, driver and fsp escape vehicle but driver returns to vehicle and is hit by by vehicle driven by Lord Ahmed

13/01/2006 – Female crashes vehicle and walks across carriageway – struck by numerous vehicles NBC 32 - 33

06/05/2005 – Male dies after his vehicle leaves the carriageway nearside and lands in

a tree – SBC between 35 & 34

25/12/2006 – Darton Bridges NBC – male dies after vehicle overturns

22/04/2006 – Young female commits suicide by crashing her vehicle on the SBC

tinsley viaduct

Early 2006 – 2 people commit suicide from Needle Eye Bridge and J37 Bridge

11/03/2005 – 38 to 37 SBC 2 vehicles collide, young adult female and baby killed when thrown from vehicle

A61 from J36 into Sheffield since 2005

29/09/2010 – Near to Thompson hill, male killed whilst overtaking a vehicle which pulled out in front

16/03/2010 – 25 yr old woman reversing from her drive, runs over an elderly pedestrian

06/03/2010 – Female driver killed as a result of 2 vehicles racing on A61 from direction of Hillsbrough to Grenoside

12/12/2009 – female driver killed after she swerved to avoid a bed board in the road

22/02/2009 -

24/01/2009 – 20yr old male killed when vehicle he was fsp in collided with a wall at Woodseats, A61

30/12/2008 – scooter rider in collision with vehicle on Westwood New Road Tankersley

29/12/2008 –

03/11/2007 – Howbrook Crossroads

20/02/2005 – Howbrook Crossroads

Not sure the 50 mph or average speed cameras will make a difference when you have idiots changing cd's, chatting to friends rather than looking at the road or using their mobile whilst driving.

I was behind two drivers tonight doing just this. They couldn't maintain an average speed or navigate the road due to the distractions.

This is surely more dangerous than it being 60mph.

Any news on this?

Regards

Doom

The road is safe, its the drivers, IMO the a61 constantly attracts boy racers coming from Hillsborough mainly, it was just the other night that I witnessed a race between a Civic R Type and an Mitsubishi Evo, sadly I remember when the innocent lady was killed a few years ago as a result of this sort of thing too.

If you had a long term plan to introdue tolls and you wanted to maximise your income wouldnt you snag up any roads that might be an attractive alternative?

I do find it amusing to see drivers slowing down when approaching an average speed camera, then speeding up until they approach the next one, then slowing down again etc etc etc. is this the standard of driver in todays world?

I do find it amusing to see drivers slowing down when approaching an average speed camera, then speeding up until they approach the next one, then slowing down again etc etc etc. is this the standard of driver in todays world?

There all good drivers,you ask them :)

Just seen somebody in an audi doing exactly that on the stocksbridge bypass.Had a little chuckle to myself as he dissapeared into the distance unaware of the points and fine coming his way.

Just seen somebody in an audi doing exactly that on the stocksbridge bypass.Had a little chuckle to myself as he dissapeared into the distance unaware of the points and fine coming his way.

its probably cruel and childish to mock this type of driver, but if the cap fits.... I have to say there is very little discipline on todays roads, and the installation of these cameras will, no doubt, make a fortune. nobody is perfect but some take stupidness to new levels!

its probably cruel and childish to mock this type of driver, but if the cap fits.... I have to say there is very little discipline on todays roads, and the installation of these cameras will, no doubt, make a fortune. nobody is perfect but some take stupidness to new levels!

It always seems to be audi drivers as well,i noticed jeremy clarkson named and shamed an audi driver on twitter for tailgating him.Apparently its perfectly legal to put reg numbers of bad drivers on twitter,sounds like a good idea to me.It might embarass them enough to stop them doing it,but unlikely.