Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

The changes to the traffic regulation order to drop the speed limit will have been advertised as per statutory requirement. You had the chance to object.

Advertised where exactly, because I wasn't aware of it and I live in High Green and travel to Grenoside regularly because my parents live there?

How many other people on this forum who use this road were aware of it?

If they genuinely want people to know about these things and join in the consultation process, then they should put the information in places where people are going to actually look - This forum, a story in the Sheffield Star etc.

My guess is they put the information where they know people won't look, because that way they've ticked the box for their statutory requirement, but won't receive a mass of protests that may prevent it going through.

For what it's worth I actually support the speed reduction and the use of average speed cameras along this stretch, because I've seen too many impatient idiots along that stretch who either think 60 mph is too slow or like to pull out at junctions (eg Hallwood Road) when cars are within about 10 foot of them.

I do however object to changes by stealth.....Individuals like Metalman, whom I don't agree with on this thread, should have known about this earlier so they could at least voice their objections and raise a campaign before it went through.

Regards

Doom

I seem to remember that I knew about it before it actually happened, but I certainly didn't know about it before it was decided that it was going to happen.

As to whether I'd bother campaigning against it... I'm a busy man, and as Mr Ralge says, there is an inexorable march towards lower speed limits. It seems to be the way that everybody else wants to go so let them get on with it. I voice my objections on here and that's all.

I seem to remember that I knew about it before it actually happened, but I certainly didn't know about it before it was decided that it was going to happen.

As to whether I'd bother campaigning against it... I'm a busy man, and as Mr Ralge says, there is an inexorable march towards lower speed limits. It seems to be the way that everybody else wants to go so let them get on with it. I voice my objections on here and that's all.

I used you as an example, but I'm sure there will be others who didn't know about it who would have raised objections. The first I knew about it was travelling home Sunday morning when I saw them putting up the new signs and then posted the information on here.....It certainly seemed to be a surprise to most/all.

Regards

Doom

So according to the documents linked to in this post on the thread about the speed reduction on this road, the average speed along this road was 47 mph while the limit was 60. So how does that justify the use of average speed cameras now it's 50, and is this a good use of resources by the council bearing in mind that according to the previous post 'They have to balance the cost and effort against what they might gain.'?

The is no justification for average speed cameras along this road. The average speed on the road is 47mph AND the number of fatal accidents is below that which would warrant an official investigation in to the road quality and speed limit. So what happens? Your tax money gets spent putting up 50mph signs and installing average speed cameras along the road. A truly criminal spending of public money.

The is no justification for average speed cameras along this road. The average speed on the road is 47mph AND the number of fatal accidents is below that which would warrant an official investigation in to the road quality and speed limit. So what happens? Your tax money gets spent putting up 50mph signs and installing average speed cameras along the road. A truly criminal spending of public money.

The other telling part is the question which asks: Does existing speed limit match that expected for type/character of road? to which the answer given is Yes.

Advertised where exactly, because I wasn't aware of it and I live in High Green and travel to Grenoside regularly because my parents live there?

How many other people on this forum who use this road were aware of it?

I live in Grenoside, use the A61 on a daily basis, walk through Grenoside on a regular basis and had absolutely no idea about the changes until after the event when I read about them on here. There aren't even any signs on the

A61 saying to beware of the new limit.

My guess is they put the information where they know people won't look, because that way they've ticked the box for their statutory requirement, but won't receive a mass of protests that may prevent it going through...

I actually called the SCC to discus this issue, the conversation went something like this...

"But Mr Barleycorn, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," I said, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

jb

It was probably announced in the council newsletter: 6 across: What the speed limit will be on the A61 (5) :hihi:

The Council have to advertise changes to (or new) traffic regualtion orders in the Star, in the legal notices section. That is the only statutory requirement. There is a 4 week objection period on speed limit changes.

They also usually fix notices to lamposts or street furniture at the affected site and letter drop affected frontagers, all of which is over and above the statutory requirement.

The Council have to advertise changes to (or new) traffic regualtion orders in the Star, in the legal notices section. That is the only statutory requirement. There is a 4 week objection period on speed limit changes.

They also usually fix notices to lamposts or street furniture at the affected site and letter drop affected frontagers, all of which is over and above the statutory requirement.

Have the council ever acted on an objection against a speed limit change? I would imagine not since they don't even follow their own protocols on enforcing them.

And that's the other reason there's not much point objecting... we all know from previous threads about e.g. about parking permit zones, what the council's attitude to objections is. You count the replies that are in favour of what you're proposing because they recognise what a good idea it is, and then you disregard the ones that are objecting to it on the grounds that they're obviously wrong.

And that's the other reason there's not much point objecting... we all know from previous threads about e.g. about parking permit zones, what the council's attitude to objections is. You count the replies that are in favour of what you're proposing because they recognise what a good idea it is, and then you disregard the ones that are objecting to it on the grounds that they're obviously wrong.

As you should know if you've ever taken the trouble to read one of the reports which details consultation results, all responses are detailed, whether for or against. Comments are made on objections to illustrate whether the point raised is valid or not. The vast majority of issues raised in consultation are usually overcome by minor changes to the scheme. I have never ever seen in any report "they are obviously wrong" given as a reason for a recommendation to overrule an objection.

The Councillors are the ones who make the decisions and it's up to them whether to uphold an objection or not.

The Councillors require the officers to make a recommendation, which is the officer's professional opinion, in the report that they give to Councillors. The Councillors do not have to accept it and sometimes they don't.

How is your petition going? :)

Going ok, thanks.

Still need signatures as there doesn't appear to have been a decision yet. If his appeal is declined then I will keep it going as he can apply again in as little as six months apparently.

The other scumbag has an appeal on the go now also, against his conviction. He is claiming that he wasn't really racing at 60/70 mph, it just sounded like it!!!!! 13 witnesses were obviously on the same drug then...........