Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

Perhaps the OP could tell us which councillor it was that has it in their leaflet (or anybody else who happens to have the same leaflet would do).

Does anyone know how much it's going to cost to install these cameras? I take it the money to increase speed limits is kept in a separate, non-existent pot as we still apparently don't have enough to make Penistone Road 40mph yet we have plenty to reduce limits and install average cameras.

I believe SPECS were at one time about £33K (per installation/camera?)

I'm surprised you have to ask where the money will come from. Do you suppose raising Penistone Road to 40 will be self-financing?

do we actually know for certain that this is going to happen

I've made enquiries with officers at Sheffield and Barnsley and yes, it is going to happen.

I'll post more details when I have them.

I believe SPECS were at one time about £33K (per installation/camera?)

I'm surprised you have to ask where the money will come from. Do you suppose raising Penistone Road to 40 will be self-financing?

Self financing in allowing people to get in to the city centre quicker and the economy to have a positive effect in the long run, yes. Surely speed cameras shouldn't rely on being self-financing. Are we saying that SCC are hoping people break the law to pay for the cameras?

I've made enquiries with officers at Sheffield and Barnsley and yes, it is going to happen.

I'll post more details when I have them.

So does this decision have to go through any council process or consultation which would have given people the chance to object to it or does the council just decide to do it and that's it? And if it does have to go through any process, where are the records of it happening, because only councillors seem to know anything about it until now?

So does this decision have to go through any council process or consultation which would have given people the chance to object to it or does the council just decide to do it and that's it? And if it does have to go through any process, where are the records of it happening, because only councillors seem to know anything about it until now?

I'm not aware of there being any requirement to consult on enforcement.

The change to the traffic regulation order, to reduce the speed limit, will have been advertised (it's a statutory requirement) and there will have been an opportunity to object. The decision to proceed with the change will have been taken by Councillors in a meeting which is open to the public, who also would have the oportunity to speak at the meeting.

So will it be happening on the A57 as well since that speed limit was reduced at about the same time?

So will it be happening on the A57 as well since that speed limit was reduced at about the same time?

Don't know. I will check.

crikey, 6 pages in!

as the OP I can state that the wording i used is verbatim from the Lib Dem leaflet for Alan Hooper for the Ecco/Greno area.

There is very little knowledge of this scheme locally. Yes it may have been discussed at council meetings but without knowing whats on the agenda of these meetings in advance (some agendas are published but the Ecclesfield Parish Council agenda is rarely on the website in advance) and checking monthly on websites for updates and who has the time or inclination to do this just on the off chance something 'local' may be being discussed, these types of schemes/street furniture/road calming and others will continually get agreed upon at council level, then put in place without thorough and proper public consultation.

back to my original query - who, if anyone, is going to inform me and other local householders if one of the average speed cameras is going up outside our houses, or will they just appear? are the plans available for public viewing given there is so very little on the SCC website? I have made a few phonecalls to scc/road planning/engineering and the south yorks speed partnership but no-one seems to know. an FOI request may elude some info but will take too long.

xgx

It's yet another cynical, money making scheme.

50 mph is fast enough from grenoside to high green on a61

these types of schemes/street furniture/road calming and others will continually get agreed upon at council level, then put in place without thorough and proper public consultation.

The Council do more consultation on schemes than is actually required by statute, but you can always argue they should do more. They have to balance the cost and effort against what they might gain. The problem is that no matter how much they do, someone will be complaining they should do more.

The changes to the traffic regulation order to drop the speed limit will have been advertised as per statutory requirement. You had the chance to object.

Speed cameras are items of street furniture and the Council have the right to site them wherever they see fit within the highway. They don't have to consult or inform you, but they usually contact frontagers ass a matter of courtesy if they are putting something significant outside their property.

back to my original query - who, if anyone, is going to inform me and other local householders if one of the average speed cameras is going up outside our houses, or will they just appear? are the plans available for public viewing given there is so very little on the SCC website? I have made a few phonecalls to scc/road planning/engineering and the south yorks speed partnership but no-one seems to know. an FOI request may elude some info but will take too long.

xgx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are enforcing the new 50mph zone. As far as I can see, there are no houses that actually front onto the road on this section, so why would you be thinking there might be a camera outside your house?

So according to the documents linked to in this post on the thread about the speed reduction on this road, the average speed along this road was 47 mph while the limit was 60. So how does that justify the use of average speed cameras now it's 50, and is this a good use of resources by the council bearing in mind that according to the previous post 'They have to balance the cost and effort against what they might gain.'?