Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

Then you'd lose your stake.

Across the country only 6% of road deaths happen on motorways (one-way traffic, superb road surfaces, good vision, visibility, long slip roads, no crossing/turning traffic, no bikes, tractors ...)

Urban roads account for 34% of deaths (down from 40% not so long ago as aresult of all sorts of factors, car in-built features, traffic calming, road engineering ...)

Rural roads remain the untamed part of our road system and account for the (increased) 60% share of the death toll, hence the Councils' focus around the country on traffic calming, junction layouts, signage, road paint AND limit reductions.

Limit reductions are just one part of what they do but, for the simple-minded, facile driver that's all the gets noticed, it seems. If the other interventions were noted, the conspiracy theory has less weight but, hell, let's carry on enjoying this delicious indignation around a persecution complex.

But the council set a number of deaths which have to happen for an investigation to take place on a road's speed limit. This seems to have been ignored with the A61. The simple fact is that on most of these new 50 roads, the average driver can travel perfectly safely above this speed. Why should the average driver suffer for no apparent reason?

I don't see that any of these extra measures you mention have taken place on the A61. All that has happened is a hundred 50mph signs being out up over night.

Also, people seem to think the argument is about the average speed cameras. It's not, the argument is about the speed limit. I would have no problem at all with average 40mph cameras being along Penistone road for example, yet like many other roads around the city it has a speed limit which is in no way suited to its condition or safety (as the council admit)

Edited by BarryRiley

Set your cruise control and sit back and relax. simples

I can see the argument that a "normal" speed camera might clock you going marginally over the speed limit for just a few seconds, or forces people to brake suddenly, but an average speed camera is intended to deal with those who are consistently over the speed limit.

Don't want the fine? Don't speed. Simple as that.

Idiots who race against each other, like the two who killed my mum, use this route frequently. They know that if they approach the lights just at the right time, they can speed through all of them reaching excessive speeds until they slam on their brakes just before the speed camera, then speed up again once past it.

On this occassion though, they were too concerned with what the other was doing and slammed into my mum instead.

These type of cameras will get the idiots who think they are too clever to be caught out by a speed camera. The idiots who kill people and risk many other lives continually.

Next time it could be you or you loved one........

Where did I put my drum?

Judging by the number of people who have been killed or seriously injured on the A61 (from Hillsborough to Tankersley) over the past few years then I think more Safety Cameras are needed!

How many killed?.

Angel.

Idiots who race against each other, like the two who killed my mum, use this route frequently. They know that if they approach the lights just at the right time, they can speed through all of them reaching excessive speeds until they slam on their brakes just before the speed camera, then speed up again once past it.

On this occassion though, they were too concerned with what the other was doing and slammed into my mum instead.

These type of cameras will get the idiots who think they are too clever to be caught out by a speed camera. The idiots who kill people and risk many other lives continually.

Next time it could be you or you loved one........

How is your petition going? :)

No idea, but this might help:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=460823

Wonder where we can get some official stats from.

As well as the crash statistics posted by Planner1, there was another link posted in the recent (last month or so) thread about the speed limit change, which shows the fatal crashes for any area. It would show metalman and others the number of fatals, and from what I remember, the deaths per mile on the M1 around here was higher than for this stretch of the A61, but not by much. However, the big difference is of course the number of vehicles using the M1 is much higher than the number using the A61.

Looking at Crashmap, it seems to me to be fairly obvious what the problem with the a61 is...

Slow drivers.

In good conditions it is perfectly reasonable to maintain an average speed of 50mph from where it (used to) go to NSL after the Red Lion upto the Jet Station, the "speed advice" signs at some of the corners are rather on the low side, and so you get less confident drivers crawling along the a61 a silly slow speeds.

Then you get faster drivers who want to get passed these slower drivers.

Good drivers will wait, hold back and pass if/when safe and accept that sometimes you just get held up and there's nothing you can do about it.

Others will get frustrated and try and overtake, it's an inviting road to try and do so, but unless you have a very quick car there's what, 1, maybe 2 places you can do so safely, anywhere else it's suicide to try.

and to those who think that average speed cameras slow down mr BMW (other genericly bad driver marques are available)... have you ever driven through roadworks with ASL cameras fitted? the number of drivers who STILL don't realise/don't care that you can't just slow down at the yellow box is shocking.

I don't see these ASL cameras doing anything in terms of deaths, it'll keep little miss(mr)doddery doddering along, and tom/dick/harry corsa will still try crazy overtake and end up hitting mr/mrs 50mph coming the other way.

As well as the crash statistics posted by Planner1, there was another link posted in the recent (last month or so) thread about the speed limit change, which shows the fatal crashes for any area. It would show metalman and others the number of fatals, and from what I remember, the deaths per mile on the M1 around here was higher than for this stretch of the A61, but not by much. However, the big difference is of course the number of vehicles using the M1 is much higher than the number using the A61.

This is it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

...I don't see these ASL cameras doing anything in terms of deaths, it'll keep little miss(mr)doddery doddering along, and tom/dick/harry corsa will still try crazy overtake and end up hitting mr/mrs 50mph coming the other way.

I wish we would have ASL cameras then rthey would cop those drivers who don't know the difference between a bicycle and a car, and what a stop line looks like