Average Speed Cameras to be installed city -A61 - Grenoside

Afternoon

just had a leaflet stuffed in door from local councillor, noted that it had a section on local roadworks and included the statement....

" Towards the end of summer installation of 'average speed check cameras' will take place along the length of A61 from City boundary in towards Grenoside"

News to us locals - does there have to be any public consultation over the installation ie exact locations, if one is going on the verge outside your house, if the speed limit will change? I'm off to search SCC website etc but has anyone heard anything further/know a bit more about this?

Cheers

xgx

I wonder if this is to enforce the new 50mph speed limit from High Green to Grenoside.

Regards

Doom

I wonder if this is to make more money from blaming everything on speeding in the new 50mph speed limit from High Green to Grenoside.

Regards

Doom

Edited for accuracy/humour.

found this on SCC website but thats all, its about the speed limit reduction ...

Engineering Projects

Speed Limit Review

The Department for Transport asked all Local Authorities to review the speed limits on all ‘A’ and ‘B’ classified roads. We have now completed this review for Sheffield.

The roads where it is proposed to reduce speed limits are:

Reduce to 50mph

A57 Manchester Rd (Crosspool) from Den Bank Avenue to the City boundary (Length: approximately 8.5km).

A61 Penistone Road (Grenoside) from Whitley Carr to the City boundary (Length: approximately 3.5km)

It's yet another cynical, money making scheme.

Really?! Do you really think they would install average speed cameras if that was the case? :loopy:

Judging by the number of people who have been killed or seriously injured on the A61 (from Hillsborough to Tankersley) over the past few years then I think more Safety Cameras are needed!

Judging by the number of people who have been killed or seriously injured on the A61 (from Hillsborough to Tankersley) over the past few years then I think more Safety Cameras are needed!

And how many of those incidents have been SOLEY attributed to excessive speed, not just a contributing factor?

Driving standards are at an all-time low in this country, people drive recklessly and selfishly and THOSE are most likely the causes of most incidents.

How many times do we have to have costly studies to show that "safety" cameras DO NOT WORK and are simply a way of squeezing more money out of the Government's cash-cow, the humble motorist.

There needs to be a Grenoside by-pass and proper dual-carriagewaying of the whole road.

Further delays to commute/transport times to Leeds and Manchester like this will just strangle the already pretty limp Sheffield economy even more.

Two of my favourite roads to drive are Manchester Road, out towards Derwent/Ladybower and the A61 from Grenoside to Tankersley. These have now both been made 50mph roads. The minority have spoilt it for the majority :-(

Drive according to the road markings/conditions/weather etc. RESPECT THE ROADS!

And how many of those incidents have been SOLEY attributed to excessive speed, not just a contributing factor?

Driving standards are at an all-time low in this country, people drive recklessly and selfishly and THOSE are most likely the causes of most incidents.

How many times do we have to have costly studies to show that "safety" cameras DO NOT WORK and are simply a way of squeezing more money out of the Government's cash-cow, the humble motorist.

Precisely!

Average speed cameras catch motorists whose speed creeps over the limit and are completely arbitary, there is no discression.

If we had proper policing of the roads, with incompetent drivers and those flagrantly driving dangerously, instead we get "Traffic Wombles" on the the motorway, who have no powers at all, and the pointless "Chocolate Bobbies" wandering from coffee shop to Greggs in the city centre. These uniform-fetishising muppets are completely pointless and steal funding from proper, effective policing.

we need visible, aggressive, targeted policing of poor driving and abuse of the traffic laws, not tokenistic, fundraising, quick fixes.

Really?! Do you really think they would install average speed cameras if that was the case? :loopy:

Yes, I do. Absolutely.