The Flaming Grill, Beighton (formerly the Belfry)

Bitberger is the only lager worth drinking , carling foster etc crap is like drinking fizzy water no taste, S20 is in need of a weatherspoons or etc as all pubs in that area sell the same crap at £3.00 plus a pint :o & weathers sell good beer at good prices lol!

I like Peroni Nastro Azzuro, San Miguel and Estella. There's also Cruzcampo. There are good lagers out there!

Not been in there but saw a sign saying they do takeaway Costa so might pop in sometime :)

I always find that a pubs grub is usually as good as the quality and range of real ales they have on. If its a Carling, Smiths, Guinness pub then the chances are the food will be equally as bland and processed.

thinking about it that quite true actually, the places that do proper home made grub tend to be a bit more selective about the drinks on offer. the riverside was/is an example, decent grub and decent beer, similarly the harlequin/manchester.

It was one of the most expensive pubs built by Greenalls at the time 1989 time, the bricks were from the slum clearance houses in Manchester it cost them loads of money at the time, we applied for it at the time a couple called John and Cath Hanley got the first landlord ship of the place we got it a few years later it was taking about 16k a week then we had about 15 staff the place was heaving most nights 3 and 4 deep at the bar it was Greenalls flagship pub for years.

it's a lovely pub,very family oriented,lovely landlord and staff,would say it's more a place you'd go to,to eat,rather than a pint,but if it's food you're after,can recommend it.

thinking about it that quite true actually, the places that do proper home made grub tend to be a bit more selective about the drinks on offer. the riverside was/is an example, decent grub and decent beer, similarly the harlequin/manchester.

Although if you factor in Wetherspoons that can completely contradict my argument!

It was one of the most expensive pubs built by Greenalls at the time 1989 time, the bricks were from the slum clearance houses in Manchester it cost them loads of money at the time, we applied for it at the time a couple called John and Cath Hanley got the first landlord ship of the place we got it a few years later it was taking about 16k a week then we had about 15 staff the place was heaving most nights 3 and 4 deep at the bar it was Greenalls flagship pub for years.

I remember it at that time bouncers on the doors fridays and saturdays not a bad place for pulling a bird and lots of trouble, Sundays full of thirty boob salads from the new houses up to their eyes in debt with their his and her cars on their weekly trip to the boozer.

Also the least child friendly pub in the area charging extortianate prices for pop and crisps etc.

In a nutshell ok to pop in on a pub crawl at weekends but of no use to the many families on the estate on a summers day.

Although if you factor in Wetherspoons that can completely contradict my argument!

wetherspoons are hit and miss imho. the food ic cheap and cheerful and not bad for what it is, but a lot depends upon the manager and staff, some of their pub food is much better than others in the chain even on the same menu.

wetherspoons are hit and miss imho. the food ic cheap and cheerful and not bad for what it is, but a lot depends upon the manager and staff, some of their pub food is much better than others in the chain even on the same menu.

A Wetherspoons in S20, that would be an interesting concept ... or more to the point a magnet for the low rent clientele that frequent the awful pubs on the Beighton/Waterthorpe/Hackenthorpe surrounding areas. The up side is that they could be contained in one place, at the moment the doss house for these people seems to be the Gypsy Queen which used to be such a good pub when it was Hardy Hansons ... the Hungry Horse chain has brought it down a notch or two by attracting the lower end market.

"Sundays full of thirty boob salads"

I don't think I understand your banter old boy!

Edited by beefface

"Sundays full of thirty boob salads"

I don't think I understand your banter old boy!

LOL. Sorry should say thirty bob salads but thankyou for taking the time to read my post.:hihi::hihi:.

Being local in the area I've been to the belfry a few times for food.The place itself is ok and the food taste nice,but make sure you've still had something to eat prior to going there for food as the portions are very small.I was in there last night for food,half a dozen chips,6 chicken wings which looked like they belonged to a budgie and 5 scabby ribs with no meat on.There is definitely better pubs around not a million miles away if its food your after..

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 09:23 ----------

I remember it at that time bouncers on the doors fridays and saturdays not a bad place for pulling a bird and lots of trouble, Sundays full of thirty boob salads from the new houses up to their eyes in debt with their his and her cars on their weekly trip to the boozer.

Also the least child friendly pub in the area charging extortianate prices for pop and crisps etc.

In a nutshell ok to pop in on a pub crawl at weekends but of no use to the many families on the estate on a summers day.

Not everyone who lives on that estate is upto their eyes in debt,some of us went to school and got half decent jobs with half decent pay to sort the mortgage payments out quite easily :)

Edited by craig71