New wallpaper easy to strip off?

Hi

I have recently wallpapered my room using some wickes blown vinyl wallpaper and also wickes wallpaper paste. Did it a few weeks ago and it all looked nice.

Today just accidentally I noticed that it is very easy to strip off these wallpaper - i didn't even need to wet or steam it. I used a craft knife to peel off a tip of it at the joining gaps, then it is so easy to strip it off by holding the tip and pulling it out.

This is totally unexpected. It took me a hell of effort to strip off the old wallpaper as the paste was so strong and I was hoping the new wallpapers should stay the same. It's been weeks since the job was done and it is certainly completely dry.

so my question is, is this normal, or what could be wrong? I googled a bit and found a website mentioning that new wallpapers are just easy to strip, but certainly cannot be so effortless?

Thanks in advance

Hi how thick/thin was your paste?

How porous/dry are your walls?

Did you size/seal your walls prior to wallpapering?

Was the wallpaper a paste the wall type, rather then paste the wallpaper itself?

All the above factors could add to why the wallpaper isnt adhering properly.

A little tip to all, with most wallpapers i come across i add a little bit of pva to my mixed paste, and paste the walls to size/seal them before applying the paper.

Thanks for the reply.

The paste was thick. Cannot tell exactly, but I used the amount of paste for 3 rolls on just 2 rolls.

i didnt seal the walls, they were dry and i think quite smooth. i used a filling knife and sponge to clean the walls before hanging

the wallpaper was "paste the wallpaper" type, according to the instructions

I ve found some information that says most new wallpapers today are "strippable" or "removable", meaning you dont need a steamer and they can be removed dry, usually leaving the paper backing on the wall. Is this true? i hope mine is of this type...

Hi how thick/thin was your paste?

How porous/dry are your walls?

Did you size/seal your walls prior to wallpapering?

Was the wallpaper a paste the wall type, rather then paste the wallpaper itself?

All the above factors could add to why the wallpaper isnt adhering properly.

A little tip to all, with most wallpapers i come across i add a little bit of pva to my mixed paste, and paste the walls to size/seal them before applying the paper.

Quite a few wallpapers now days are paste the walls which i find really no good as you say they are designed for easy stripping, thats why i would always paste the paper first, goo old traditional way, cant beat it.

If your walls were dry as you say, seal them with the paste first and allow to dry, then as you paste the wall ready to take the paper ,the wall will not soak up your paste as quickly so you have a greater chance of more paste coming into contact with the paper.

I hope this makes sense, and hope it helps for next time, but as i said before put a bit of pva into the mixed paste it works wonders.

many thanks for your advice! will definitely use them next time

i allso use the pva in paist mix very rare you get as much out of a packet of paist as it states ussully 20% less. i have hung over 10000 rolls of paper used pva in all of them

i allso use the pva in paist mix very rare you get as much out of a packet of paist as it states ussully 20% less. i have hung over 10000 rolls of paper used pva in all of them

Do they have such big houses in S6?

Do they have such big houses in S6?

maybe i should of said over last 15 years

always seal your walls with paste.put some pva in it as well.this helps the paper go on better and stick like you know what.

Vinyl paper will peel away very easily and will leave the backing on the wall