What ever happened to home made go carts?

We used to make them as kids in lodge moor,lodge lane was dicing with death!!I made one for my son in the mid 80s,my grandaughters use it now!!

OK, which one of you lot nicked the wheels from my brothers pram in 1959?

Did I see 'no one had a bad accident' - Didn't think to take the nails out that held the origional lid of the wooden box. Stopped by bashing into the kerb - I shot foreard left 3" of skin on the nail. Really odd how the fat under your inner thigh is sort of red and purple. More interested in looking at that that feeling the pain. Still got the scar 55 years later. Mate Bob's dad had an engineering firm - got one made in the factory - not the same - too posh

when i was a kid in the late 50s/ early 60s, all the kids had trolleys [go carts] made by themselves or their dads. they were made from old bits of wood fixed to pram wheels and were steered with a bit of rope.

we had great fun with these but why did kids stop using them?

anyone else have one of these?

i imagine that the modern desire to wrap children in zero risk cotton wool has put paid to them.

My older brother used to make them in the 80's. Complete with steering, brakes & working lights that he used to get from the local scrappies.

Only problem was he used to make me (young & stooopid sister) test-drive them.

I remember (after my mum had said to him 'Whatever you do, don't let your sister on it!)having to do a test drive down the (steep)grassy hill (behind Davy Lervy/Mckee works)onto the footpath, falling off and skinning my knees & hands badly. My brother panicking said 'If Mum asks, you fell over OK?'.......this went round & round in my head until we got home.

Sure enough my Mum asked 'What happened to you?'

'C$£*+(name deleted for fear of embarrasing him ;) ) told me to tell you I fell over'....

Cue clip round the ear for him.

I remember pestering dad to make me one,he did and it was great but needed some rope for steering.I'll get some from work he said.I couldn't wait so cut about 4ft off mams washing line,boy did I cop it so did dad.It cost him a new washing line and a quarter of jamesons ruffles.Happy days :smile::smile:

In the early 60’s me fatha made a trolley for me from planks of wood with the letters P.W.D. stenciled on them. I used to drive my trolley on Carter Lodge Rise or on the very bumpy Pigs Lane in Hackenthorpe. I would steer the trolley with my feet with me in a sitting position, or laid down steering with my hands. I found using string or rope were quite useless. It was advisable for people to not get in my way, because I would do what the ignorant mobility scooter people do today in shops and on the Moor. My excuse is I was only a young boy then.

I also used to have a scooter with inflated fat tyres and a brake. I still have some scars on my left knee over fifty years later. The tiny scooters used by today’s children are total rubbish because if they hit the slightest bump they tip forward or jack knife. A waste of money.

In the early 60’s me fatha made a trolley for me from planks of wood with the letters P.W.D. stenciled on them. I used to drive my trolley on Carter Lodge Rise or on the very bumpy Pigs Lane in Hackenthorpe. I would steer the trolley with my feet with me in a sitting position, or laid down steering with my hands. I found using string or rope were quite useless. It was advisable for people to not get in my way, because I would do what the ignorant mobility scooter people do today in shops and on the Moor. My excuse is I was only a young boy then.

I also used to have a scooter with inflated fat tyres and a brake. I still have some scars on my left knee over fifty years later. The tiny scooters used by today’s children are total rubbish because if they hit the slightest bump they tip forward or jack knife. A waste of money.

Eee I remember having one as a kid in 60's as Zakes says when you put your feet on front, you really had to dig in to turn the thing. They were massive fun, never built one for me son as they had PS1's and such.

What I did make him though & he loved it, was a scotch arrow do you lot remember those :cool:

Eee I remember having one as a kid in 60's as Zakes says when you put your feet on front, you really had to dig in to turn the thing. They were massive fun, never built one for me son as they had PS1's and such.

What I did make him though & he loved it, was a scotch arrow do you lot remember those :cool:

Are they the ones you used to throw by wrapping a bit of string 'round? and used playing cards for flights?

Are they the ones you used to throw by wrapping a bit of string 'round? and used playing cards for flights?

They were the best fun ever, we used to go to the field at the back of the museum in meersbrook park each of us would have six and would place a target right at the bottom near the path with practice you could be quite accurate with them.Going back to the trolleys we used the nuts and bolts from railway line fish-plates my dad worked on the railway so we had a plentiful supply.

That's the ones Truman :):)

That's the ones Truman :):)

Just remembered nicking my dads old dart flights, bird feathers were the best when you could find them.Mother used to say "you'll have somebodies eye out with them things" never noticed loads of kids with only one eye in the park though.